The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Nov 3, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #2,491 of 2,621
Remarkable. Not just at its price point, but with price entirely aside. This beats-out numerous USD $300-$1500 headphones. It exhibits no unflattering frequency response spikes or dips. It also delivers an impressive soundstage, without sounding unnatural (like the HD800S).

Sennheiser has seemingly-accidentally done something really special in the analytical listening headphone category. It's now my go-to daily driver, cannibalising the rest of Sennheiser's range, while embarrassing at least a few audiophile flagships... for just a couple hundred bucks.

Of course, there are downsides: the cable is plain, janky rubber (yet thankfully isn't microphonic), the aesthetics are poor, and the build quality is average plastic (yet thankfully that makes it light and comfortable). However, if you're simply after a sound signature that delivers a detailed, flat presentation, none of those criticisms really matter, because the HD 560S exhibit top-tier examples of those sonic traits (among others).

Alt rock, indie, electronic, jazz, blues and classical all shine with these. If you're after some monstrous bass for dance and modern R&B, look toward Fostex instead.

As a former semi-pro Counter-Striker, I will say they are also genuinely brilliant for competitive gaming due to their 'goldilocks zone' soundstage in combination with excellent imaging. Contrary to audiophile opinion about the HD800S for competitive gaming: the soundstage is just too vast to be consistently player-location coherent. Picking player distances wasn't always straightforward; the HD800S was a hindrance, not a help, in many competitive shooter contexts - even if it was wildly immersive for single player outings.

The value equation here is out-of-world. You don't get this level of refinement at this price point... until now.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #2,492 of 2,621
I am in a quandary… I am consolidating my collection and listed my 560s for sale. Someone’s offered me the asking price but this is my tube can, and listening to the Smashing Pumpkins, as I often do, requires tubes.

I was going to let this go and try a 6XX/600, as many say they’re the tube kings, but I have found myself resisting at the last moment. Does anyone have any insight on how the 6XX and 560s compare on tubes?

Nov 10, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #2,493 of 2,621
@GoKart,

I have both, as well as a couple tube and SS amps. I have to say that the 6xx has better timbre and better extended bass (not a lot in either). Scales better than the 560s with better equipment. Also, I have found the Custom Cans, UK mod kits for the 6xx to transform them into a much more refined and full bodied headphone..... YMMV. No one hears as you do. No one enjoys your preferred sound signature exactly like you.... Just my personal thoughts and experiences....

Good luck

Leo

Nov 10, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #2,494 of 2,621
@GoKart,

I have both, as well as a couple tube and SS amps. I have to say that the 6xx has better timbre and better extended bass (not a lot in either). Scales better than the 560s with better equipment. Also, I have found the Custom Cans, UK mod kits for the 6xx to transform them into a much more refined and full bodied headphone..... YMMV. No one hears as you do. No one enjoys your preferred sound signature exactly like you.... Just my personal thoughts and experiences....

Good luck

Leo
Thanks for the response, Leo. It's really tough. The Pumpkins experience I get out of the 560s with my LD mk. II (King Tubes) is excellent. I guess I'm just greedy. Pretty much all my other music I listen to on my HE-500 through my Kinki/Gumby. It's just Smashing Pumpkins I feel really benefit from that tube magic. I guess I'll stop the sale here. I also found DMS's video where he compares a DV and LD, he uses a 6XX and 560s and simply says both a great on both amps.

Nov 10, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #2,495 of 2,621
This adapter a fricking magic, now i can use OneOdio cable with mic, and it's picking voice, ideal for making 560s a gaming headset

Attachments

• 20221110_134941_HDR (1).jpg
    20221110_134941_HDR (1).jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 0
Nov 11, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #2,497 of 2,621
I just ordered these for my Senn Stable. Hope they live up to the hype.
You've got a killer collection! Some rarities and classics. I think you'll enjoy them...they don't sound (tonally or presentation) 1:1 like anything you have, but you'll hear a trickle of DNA from some others in your collection. They're a great "control" headphone for testing setups and synergies, too.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Nov 13, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #2,498 of 2,621
My early December order of AKG K553 MKII finally arrived, fulfilling in my closed headphone need.

Just need to upgrade my HD598 to finish my upgrades that started last year.
I was set on HD560s for a while now but will get whichever comes in stock on Amazon.ca first between HD560s and Audio Technica R70x.

Both seems to have the neutral sound & comfort I am looking for.
Can you compare the 560s and the akg k553 sonically?

Nov 13, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #2,499 of 2,621
I’m trying out the HD 400 Pro right now. Basically the same headphone as the HD 560 S but with much better cables. I hated the cable on the HD 560 S as I found it a very microphonic and janky mess, not the case at all with either of the HD 400 Pro’s cables. If you can find the HD 400 Pro close in price it would be ideal to get them over the HD 560 S imho. I was unfair to the HD 560 S in the past due to bad system synergy, it did not like my old system at all, but this headphone sounds fantastic on my current setup.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #2,500 of 2,621
My HD560s arrived on Saturday. I did listen to one album and found the sound kind of meh. So I put them on a shelf with music playing continuously. Last night I listened to the album I first listened to with these again. WOW. They are alive! I ended up listening far later last night then I intended. Let's just say that the other headphones in my collection should be afraid. Very afraid! Comparison listening starts tonight through the end of the month.

Nov 16, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #2,501 of 2,621
This adapter a fricking magic, now i can use OneOdio cable with mic, and it's picking voice, ideal for making 560s a gaming headset
link to the adapter? Thanks.

Nov 16, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #2,502 of 2,621
Nov 16, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #2,503 of 2,621
Nov 25, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #2,504 of 2,621
Hello guys,

So i just got the HD560S yesterday, and initially i really like them. But today when i was playing a track with just a bass intro i noticed a slight buzzing/rattling sound from the right cup. I read through the thread here and saw other people with the same issue. I have not tried tightening the screws, i don't want to void the warranty. I have the Zen stack, and tried connecting them just to the Dac, but buzzing is still there. Happens with my phone also. I have reached to the store i got them from, i hope they will send another pair. Would be a shame if the second pair also has this issue, because i really like the sound of these.

Nov 26, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #2,505 of 2,621
Hello guys,

So i just got the HD560S yesterday, and initially i really like them. But today when i was playing a track with just a bass intro i noticed a slight buzzing/rattling sound from the right cup. I read through the thread here and saw other people with the same issue. I have not tried tightening the screws, i don't want to void the warranty. I have the Zen stack, and tried connecting them just to the Dac, but buzzing is still there. Happens with my phone also. I have reached to the store i got them from, i hope they will send another pair. Would be a shame if the second pair also has this issue, because i really like the sound of these.
You will not void the warranty by tightening the screws. The ear pads pull off as they are replaceable. Really simple and will only take you a couple of minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back