The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Oct 18, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #931 of 2,621
Lol this dude looked nuts changing headphones back and forth so quickly.

I don't know, people over analyze stuff. I feel like he went into it expecting/wanting to be against the "popular" opinion of the 560s right now with the initial glowing reviews. Confirmation bias is such a huge part of this hobby, I'm certainly not immune to it. That's why it's so difficult to form opinions about a headphone in just a few listening sessions and certainly while directly comparing them rapidly back to back like this.

Anyway, don't get too caught up in what one person thinks. As prolific as metal571 became as a reviewer, he would always qualify in his videos that it's just his opinion and he's only one dude, and that everyone hears things differently.
I agree. Don't get me wrong I love listening to people praise something I already own (I have the 560s),
Lol this dude looked nuts changing headphones back and forth so quickly.

I don't know, people over analyze stuff. I feel like he went into it expecting/wanting to be against the "popular" opinion of the 560s right now with the initial glowing reviews. Confirmation bias is such a huge part of this hobby, I'm certainly not immune to it. That's why it's so difficult to form opinions about a headphone in just a few listening sessions and certainly while directly comparing them rapidly back to back like this.

Anyway, don't get too caught up in what one person thinks. As prolific as metal571 became as a reviewer, he would always qualify in his videos that it's just his opinion and he's only one dude, and that everyone hears things differently.
Great comments on reviewers.

I own the 560s and I enjoy them. I also love it when someone likes something I own and don't like it when someone criticizes something I own. But at the end of the day I realize it's their opinion and they're entitled to it.

DMS described the kind of sound I was looking for. I think he gave a good idea of the sound but I don't quite know if I think they're as good as he hyped them (in my opinion). I like to listen to music on them and at the end of the day isn't that what's it's all about.

It's nice to see a wealth of reviews (and a nice hobby to browse for cool new stuff) to get a general consensus, but trying them out for yourself is always the best test (which isn't always possible but still is the best).

Oct 18, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #932 of 2,621
The only thing I have come to dislike about the 560S is the intimacy of some female vocal songs, like with HD58X, HD650, HD600, some not all but a lot I listen to, the female vocals are intimate while still not in your face, and it makes the song more energetic imo. the 560S the vocals just seem far enough away it loses some of that intimacy and energy.

but there are some songs where the 560S just blows the other cans out of the water. really these headphones compliment other headphones depending what your listening to.

Oct 18, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #933 of 2,621
From what I can tell the 560S provides corrections to the 600 issues: no 5k peak, better bass response, wider soundstage and more precise imaging, whilst maintaining the great clarity and speedy attack/decay.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #934 of 2,621
From what I can tell the 560S provides corrections to the 600 issues: no 5k peak, better bass response, wider soundstage and more precise imaging, whilst maintaining the great clarity and speedy attack/decay.

This may sound like sacrilege to the 600 faithful, but I think the 560S is a successful attempt at improving on the well-known weaknesses the 600 has, though it is a great headphone in it’s own right.

So you're saying it's an improved HD600 while I'm also reading impressions that the resolution doesn't quite get to the 600 series level. Some conflicting impressions. Can't wait to hear what more people have to say

Oct 18, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #935 of 2,621
So you're saying it's an improved HD600 while I'm also reading impressions that the resolution doesn't quite get to the 600 series level. Some conflicting impressions. Can't wait to hear what more people have to say
My 560S should arrive this week and I already have the HD600. I will report my findings as well

Oct 18, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #936 of 2,621
Im really sad about this

I mean.. what the hell is he talking about? I don't get it.
I know we have different ears/brains and audio is subjective but like c'mon.

It's sad because people view this guy like a god and will take his opinion and never listen to these and that's a shame.

Also people think that you can hear a headphone thru youtube (they sound nothing like that, like at all) ? Are people this dumb ?
What? :worried:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the main purpose of this binaural demo is not to show how a pair of headphones sound in real life. It is meant to show how this certain pair compares to another pair, which, in this case, is the hd 560s vs the hd 58x.

After hearing the demo, my biggest takeaway is the hd 560s sound noticeably brighter than the hd 58x with punchier bass and more airy soundstage (all of these are traits that I want to find in a pair of headphones, so that's a good sign). To know whether they are indeed sibilant like what oluv said in the video, I will have to try them in real life. But at the end, he did praise the hd 560s by saying "for $200, probably a killer of many other more expensive headphones. The hd 58x sound muddy in comparison." So Idk how this video deters people from buying these headphones. In fact, his impressions gave me even more hope that this is THE Senn pair that I want.

Oct 18, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #937 of 2,621
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the main purpose of this binaural demo is not to show how a pair of headphones sound in real life. It is meant to show how this certain pair compares to another pair, which, in this case, is the hd 560s vs the hd 58x.

After hearing the demo, my biggest takeaway is the hd 560s sound noticeably brighter than the hd 58x with punchier bass and more airy soundstage (all of these are traits that I want to find in a pair of headphones, so that's a good sign). To know whether they are indeed sibilant like what oluv said in the video, I will have to try them in real life. But at the end, he did praise the hd 560s by saying "for $200, probably a killer of many other more expensive headphones. The hd 58x sound muddy in comparison." So Idk how this video deters people from buying these headphones. In fact, his impressions gave me even more hope that this is THE Senn pair that I want.

Yes, fair enough. But you are also smart and have good ears. :)

Oct 18, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #938 of 2,621

Yea, a couple of comments here are saying, you can't take someone else's comments or opinion as gospel. I agree whole heartedly, but the irony is 95.5% of you tube reviews and reviews anywhere online including headfi are comments on sound in the opinion of the person making the comments.
In this Oluv review you're actually hearing how headphone A compares with headphone B. You can completely disregard his comments and just listen to the difference you hear and form your own opinion.

Others say, you can't tell what a headphone really sounds like until It's on your own head and your hearing it with your ears. Again I whole heartedly agree, but that's not the take away from this sound demo.
The takeaway is how do the two headphones sound relative to each other, given these parameters. The same microphones in the same ears being recorded the same way.

I listened to the entire demo with my audeze lcd2c; then again, this time with my FIDELIO x2.
I'm not giving my opinion or my judgement, I'm just describing what I heard, regardless of which headphone I listened with.

The 58x had an overall warmer sound, both in the bass and the midrange. The bass was thicker and the vocals and instruments were rounder.
The560's had a tighter less thick bass.The vocals and instruments sounded more separated and more distinct on the 560s.
The 560s had a wider more open sound.
The treble on the 560s was definitely brighter. My guess is the sharper crisper sound was due to the upper overtones or upper harmonics of instruments more emphasized due to the extra treble energy.

Oct 18, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #939 of 2,621

560s sounds like the Sivga 007 to me.

Oct 19, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #940 of 2,621

I think the resolution of the 560S surpasses the 650/6XX and the 660S, and is I believe (going from memory) on par with the 600.

And to answer someone else‘s query, these headphones are not even remotely sibilant. I abhor sibilance and it would have been a no-go for me if the 560S had this weakness.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #941 of 2,621
In this Oluv review you're actually hearing how headphone A compares with headphone B. You can completely disregard his comments and just listen to the difference you hear and form your own opinion.

Others say, you can't tell what a headphone really sounds like until It's on your own head and your hearing it with your ears. Again I whole heartedly agree, but that's not the take away from this sound demo.
The takeaway is how do the two headphones sound relative to each other, given these parameters. The same microphones in the same ears being recorded the same way.

Yes and no. You're not really hearing either headphone very well by the time it's shaped by the recording process and then played back through whatever speakers or headphones you're using to listen to it with.

About the only thing its useful for is relative amounts of bass, mids, and treble. But even that's not completely reliable since HD58X and HD560s use different drivers, and one of them is angled. So the HTRF is going to be different with your head with each of them.

Personally, I find frequency response charts more reliable.

Oct 19, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #942 of 2,621
Listening to Oluv's review, I'm unsure whether these would make a good replacement for my HD58X. I think they might be too harsh in comparison and lose some of that natural timbre. Listening to the string instrument in the audio samples to my taste HD58X's "muddy" representation sounded very natural and full-bodied, whereas the HD560S came across as too lean in that department.

On the other hand their bass seemed much tighter and the general airiness would of course be a welcome change.

There's also the factor of them costing more than my HD58X. Might have to wait for a sale in case I want to try them out..

Oct 19, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #943 of 2,621
Listening to Oluv's review, I'm unsure whether these would make a good replacement for my HD58X. I think they might be too harsh in comparison and lose some of that natural timbre. Listening to the string instrument in the audio samples to my taste HD58X's "muddy" representation sounded very natural and full-bodied, whereas the HD560S came across as too lean in that department.

On the other hand their bass seemed much tighter and the general airiness would of course be a welcome change.

There's also the factor of them costing more than my HD58X. Might have to wait for a sale in case I want to try them out..
Yeah I am a bit worried about the same thing. In the video, the hd 58x sound super warm and muffled. In hindsight, I tried the hd 660s (which have more or less the same sound signature as the hd 58x I believe) and I didn't think they sounded warm or muddy at all. This means the hd 560s may sound even brighter in real life than what we hear in the video.

That said, harsh treble is at the bottom of my list of worries. I'm more concerned about the actual soundstage of these. Sure they sounded wide in video, but it's probably because I was wearing an x2hr.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back