The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Oct 18, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #901 of 2,621
I owned the x2hr on two separate occasions, most recently sold a pair about a month ago.

The 560s has probably 80-90% of the left/right soundstage of the X2HR, and it has way more forward/back depth. The x2hr is fairly narrow in forward/back depth.

So the x2hr sounds slightly larger to the sides, but the 560s is way more all encompassing.

Can you compare other aspects of the X2HR vs. the 560S? What about bass quantity and quality? Detail/separation/air and tonality?

Oct 18, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #902 of 2,621
Can you compare other aspects of the X2HR vs. the 560S? What about bass quantity and quality? Detail/separation/air and tonality?
I don't think the two are in the same league.

560s is way more detailed, has much better instrument separation and imaging, and obviously a much more neutral sound signature. The x2hr is pretty dark with some spikey treble, but the 560s is clean and brighter while still maintaining a really nice tonality similar to the 6xx.

Bass quality is amazing on the 560s. It's basically just like the 58x. X2hr has more bass quantity but it's boomy and messy in comparison.

In terms of air it's no contest. The x2hr sounds really wide but dark and stuffy in comparison. The 560s sounds clear and fresh, haha hard to explain.

It's really a much better headphone than the X2HR.

Oct 18, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #903 of 2,621
I owned the x2hr on two separate occasions, most recently sold a pair about a month ago.

The 560s has probably 80-90% of the left/right soundstage of the X2HR, and it has way more forward/back depth. The x2hr is fairly narrow in forward/back depth.

So the x2hr sounds slightly larger to the sides, but the 560s is way more all encompassing.
If the soundstage of the hd 560s is exactly like you describe, it's an instant buy for me. 80-90% is good enough. I tried the 660s and it was like10-20%. Very disappointing.

Oct 18, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #904 of 2,621

560s is way more detailed, has much better instrument separation and imaging, and obviously a much more neutral sound signature. The x2hr is pretty dark with some spikey treble, but the 560s is clean and brighter while still maintaining a really nice tonality similar to the 6xx.

Bass quality is amazing on the 560s. It's basically just like the 58x. X2hr has more bass quantity but it's boomy and messy in comparison.

In terms of air it's no contest. The x2hr sounds really wide but dark and stuffy in comparison. The 560s sounds clear and fresh, haha hard to explain.

Wow, thanks for your thoughts. I might need to get these to upgrade from the X2's. Do the 560s do well for electronic music/hip hop? I really enjoy the X2's for these genres and hope I'm not giving it up by switching to the 560s.

Oct 18, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #905 of 2,621

Hmm to me the x2hr sound really good, and I tested the hd 660s, the dt 1990 pro and the hd 800s in the past. Except for the hd 800s, I don't feel the other two are noticeably better in term of detail or imaging vs the x2hr despite their price being multiple times higher. My impressions seem to be in line with solderdude's, who describe the x2hr as excellent, realistic and neutral sounding headphone with very high value for money. Rtings also give the x2hr very high score in Neutral Sound category as well.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #906 of 2,621
234D739A-3753-4A17-8A96-664B4B13CD90.jpeg
Here the graph is showing the enormous unbearable peak starting at 5 khz. It's a big no for me (hd600 in green). Oluv has another video for his patreons where he compare the hd600 to hd560s. The graph is very representative of what I heard there

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #907 of 2,621
Hmm to me the x2hr sound really good, and I tested the hd 660s, the dt 1990 pro and the hd 800s in the past. Except for the hd 800s, I don't feel the other two are noticeably better in term of detail or imaging vs the x2hr despite their price being multiple times higher. My impressions seem to be in line with solderdude's, who describe the x2hr as excellent, realistic and neutral sounding headphone with very high value for money. Rtings also give the x2hr very high score in Neutral Sound category as well.
I would describe x2hr as sounding more artificial, nowhere near neutral. It's colored for sure. If neutrality is what you're looking for the 560s is vastly superior imo

Oct 18, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #908 of 2,621
I ordered the 560S on Friday and received a shipping notice. I should get them this week! I really hope they are as good as people say. I will be comparing them to my HD600 and from memory HD660S. I loved the soundstage and imaging of the 660S but did not like the timbre and mid bass. I am hoping for a similar soundstage and imaging to the 660S.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #909 of 2,621
If neutrality is what you're looking for the 560s is vastly superior imo
Regarding sound signature, I'm not sure what I'm looking for, really. I just know I want something wide and exciting for games and movies, which are my main uses. Meaning large soundstage and good bass? Also, I guess I like brighter headphones because it gives impressions of more details. Basically, I like the sound of the x2hr, except for the rather poor imaging in the front and the back, and for being a bit harsh sounding in certain tracks. If the hd 560s can improve on those without sacrificing much of the soundstage and the fun factor, I'd love to have them.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #910 of 2,621
I ordered the 560S on Friday and received a shipping notice. I should get them this week! I really hope they are as good as people say. I will be comparing them to my HD600 and from memory HD660S. I loved the soundstage and imaging of the 660S but did not like the timbre and mid bass. I am hoping for a similar soundstage and imaging to the 660S.
Hmmm I have been checking the Sennheiser Canadian site for a few days (including as I write this post) but there is no "Buy Now" button. I'm interpreting this as no stock.

Incidentally, does the price still shows $260 Cdn on the product description sheet? Is that the price when you arrived at the order sheet or does the price increase to $299 like it did shortly after the 560S was released?

Oct 18, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #911 of 2,621
Here the graph is showing the enormous unbearable peak starting at 5 khz. It's a big no for me (hd600 in green). Oluv has another video for his patreons where he compare the hd600 to hd560s. The graph is very representative of what I heard there

Yeah I couldn’t get on with the 5k peak in the 600 either. Senn really nailed their frequency response on the 560S. I was almost brought to tears listening to operatic portions of Beethoven’s pieces last night.

Also wouldn’t mind more info on what went in to creating these drivers in the 560S.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #912 of 2,621
Yeah I couldn’t get on with the 5k peak in the 600 either. Senn really nailed their frequency response on the 560S. I was almost brought to tears listening to operatic portions of Beethoven’s pieces last night.

Also wouldn’t mind more info on what went in to creating these drivers in the 560S.

The graph shows HD560s having more peak than the HD600 here.

Oct 18, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #913 of 2,621
Hmmm I have been checking the Sennheiser Canadian site for a few days (including as I write this post) but there is no "Buy Now" button. I'm interpreting this as no stock.

Incidentally, does the price still shows $260 Cdn on the product description sheet? Is that the price when you arrived at the order sheet or does the price increase to $299 like it did shortly after the 560S was released?
I’m in Canada and preordered on the 25 September arrived on 16 October
Price is $299+ taxes shipping is free
I’d say no stock at the moment

Oct 18, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #914 of 2,621
The 560s has way more treble amplitude than 600/6xx. Especially at/above 5-6k. The entire FR is very smooth & linear, but more like a tilt slope that ramps up towards the treble. Where it peaks (becomes forward) at around 2.5k.

Oct 18, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #915 of 2,621

Yeah on Friday I checked and was able to finally order. I noticed that went away fairly quickly. I just checked my email receipt and it’s $298.94 before tax

Users who are viewing this thread

Back