The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Oct 17, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #886 of 2,621
Still listening, moving across genres to some hip hop. A track like Oh My Darling Don’t Cry from Run The Jewels really showcases what these headphones can do. So much happening in this beat, textured bass, all kinds of effects in their own spaces nicely separated, w excellent resolution and executed with speedy attack/decay. There’s just enough deep bass to satisfy, but these are doing a really great job portraying different types of bass textures. Bass accuracy is very impressive.
How do you compare the soundstage and imaging to your 6XX?

Oct 17, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #887 of 2,621

I have to get home first. Gonna put both headphones on my other sources, and try out my 4.4mm SPC cable from Surf Cables w the 560S! I prepped a bit for this party lol

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #888 of 2,621
I can give my opinion as I own both.

560s soundstage is leagues better than the 6xx, which is fairly narrow. 560s has 598 soundstage or close to it.

Imaging is about the same I'd say, but that's pretty damn impressive actually. Usually wider soundstage comes with sacrificing imaging and making it more nebulous. This is definitely true of the 598/599 and something like the X2HR. The 560s does not suffer in the imaging department despite the wide soundstage.

I'm almost at the point where I'm not sure if I'd pick up my 58x or 6xx when the 560s is also hanging there lol. Would choose it almost every time for gaming and any music genre.

Oct 17, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #889 of 2,621
I picked up my HD560S from the Manchester branch of Sevenoaks sound and vision today.
my first chance to test these out came whilst gaming. My initial impression whilst gaming, were very positive, these things are very precise when it comes to pinpoint imaging, It’s like I have an awareness perk constantly enabled whilst playing shooters (if you know, you know)
I finally sat down with a cold beer for some music listening tonight, and my instant reaction was one of being underwhelmed.
For context, my primary set ups on rotation over the last 6 months have been the HD660S, Sony IER-Z1R and Shure KSE1500.
BUT! My experience has always shown me that the wow factor always fades and the tricks are soon revealed. The best headphones always grow and impress later, and actually the more I Listen to these,
I’m already starting to appreciate their quality.
the last headphone that felt this way was my KSE1500, and it still takes my brain time to adjust every time I listen to them, but once it does, they’re in a different league.
One things for sure, straight off the bat, the HD560S are completely neutral . The soundstage and separation is punching way above their price. They beat the HD660S in this regard.
They sound so close in tonality to the KSE1500 so they also miss that satisfying mid bass warmth that more ‘consumer’ headphones add in. These, like the KSE, are for the purist audiophile or sound engineer.
as I type this post, listening to the 560S,
I’m starting to hear the nuances that make me think these could be a new reference, especially at the price.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #890 of 2,621
So I listened to the both of these headphones on my iPad with it connected to my iFi Hip DAC. I put on Beethoven symphony no. 6 for comparisons. I started with the 560S using the SPC cable from Surf Cables and did comparisons with the 6XX connected using the Blue Dragon cable. The 6XX with the Blue Dragon cable sounded duller in comparison, more closed in and it kinda was underwhelming. The 560s with the SPC cable on the other hand gave a rousing performance, with wider stage. I felt enveloped in sound and it was intoxicating. I didn’t want to stop listening. I switched back to the 6XX and confirmed what I was hearing. I then switched the Blue Dragon cable with a OFC cable I have by Pensato and the sound was better with the iFi Hip DAC from the 6XX, but it still didn’t beat the 560S with the SPC cable.

I then swapped both the cables from each headphone with the stock cables. The 560S still came out on top, with a wider and deeper stage than the 6XX. I also came away thinking as I a/b’d the 560S sounded slightly more detailed than the 6XX. The 560S has this quality of enveloping the listener in a wall of layered sound. I felt like was sitting/listening in the orchestra arrangement. Whereas the 6XX presents the sound with good separation, but the sound feels like it’s coming more from the cups. These are early impressions for sure, and the 560S should be undergunned, as my 6XX is totally burned in. But the 560S seems to have some magic in the way it can perform. I’m pretty shocked that it can function as a perfectly capable monitoring can, but also give the listener this musical/emotional performance that rouses the soul with excitement at the same time. This 560S is quite a set of cans. I don‘t know what else I can say. I think Sennheiser is going to sell a hell of a lot of these headphones. Going back to continue listening now :)

2020-10-17 19-55-48.jpeg
2020-10-17 19-56-07.jpeg
2020-10-17 19-56-34.jpeg

2020-10-17 19-55-58.jpeg

Oct 17, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #891 of 2,621
Agreed. They somehow achieved 6xx/650 level of detail and clarity with the soundstage of the 5 series. It's honestly the best of both worlds. The 560s is so good at everything, including gaming, that it's difficult to take them off. I can't really think of anything else I'd ask for in a headphone.

The ONLY thing I wish the 560s had was a normal 3.5 mm jack on the left earcup instead of the twist lock. This would allow it to easily turn into a headset with something like the vmoda boom mic.

Oct 17, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #892 of 2,621
This synergy in this rig is totally shocking me. With the Sony Zx507 connected to the Hip DAC there is such a finesse and level of fine detail, coupled w this effortless speed. The 560S likes a bit of power too, as the ZX507 didn’t quite do it for me alone.

You know, I sold the the 660S because I thought the 6XX had better resolution of fine detail, but now this headphone comes along and beats it in that department and in other areas. I can’t deny it. I love my 6XX, but this headphone.. is a revelation.

855C24F7-4FB3-404B-9D23-D6B90DDFFAEF.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #893 of 2,621
So I listened to the both of these headphones on my iPad with it connected to my iFi Hip DAC. I put on Beethoven symphony no. 6 for comparisons. I started with the 560S using the SPC cable from Surf Cables and did comparisons with the 6XX connected using the Blue Dragon cable. The 6XX with the Blue Dragon cable sounded duller in comparison, more closed in and it kinda was underwhelming. The 560s with the SPC cable on the other hand gave a rousing performance, with wider stage. I felt enveloped in sound and it was intoxicating. I didn’t want to stop listening. I switched back to the 6XX and confirmed what I was hearing. I then switched the Blue Dragon cable with a OFC cable I have by Pensato and the sound was better with the iFi Hip DAC from the 6XX, but it still didn’t beat the 560S with the SPC cable.

I then swapped both the cables from each headphone with the stock cables. The 560S still came out on top, with a wider and deeper stage than the 6XX. I also came away thinking as I a/b’d the 560S sounded slightly more detailed than the 6XX. The 560S has this quality of enveloping the listener in a wall of layered sound. I felt like was sitting/listening in the orchestra arrangement. Whereas the 6XX presents the sound with good separation, but the sound feels like it’s coming more from the cups. These are early impressions for sure, and the 560S should be undergunned, as my 6XX is totally burned in. But the 560S seems to have some magic in the way it can perform. I’m pretty shocked that it can function as a perfectly capable monitoring can, but also give the listener this musical/emotional performance that rouses the soul with excitement at the same time. This 560S is quite a set of cans. I don‘t know what else I can say. I think Sennheiser is going to sell a hell of a lot of these headphones. Going back to continue listening now :)

2020-10-17 19-55-48.jpeg2020-10-17 19-56-07.jpeg2020-10-17 19-56-34.jpeg
2020-10-17 19-55-58.jpeg

:beerchug:
Hi, you spent $200 for a balanced cable from Surf Cables? Awesome. That's dedication to getting every last bit of quality possible.

Oct 17, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #894 of 2,621
Oct 18, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #895 of 2,621
Agreed. They somehow achieved 6xx/650 level of detail and clarity with the soundstage of the 5 series. It's honestly the best of both worlds. The 560s is so good at everything, including gaming, that it's difficult to take them off. I can't really think of anything else I'd ask for in a headphone.

The ONLY thing I wish the 560s had was a normal 3.5 mm jack on the left earcup instead of the twist lock. This would allow it to easily turn into a headset with something like the vmoda boom mic.

Hello darkness

Yes, thats a mic in line that works with the 5xx line.
Your welcome :D

Oct 18, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #896 of 2,621
I can give my opinion as I own both.

560s soundstage is leagues better than the 6xx, which is fairly narrow. 560s has 598 soundstage or close to it.

Imaging is about the same I'd say, but that's pretty damn impressive actually. Usually wider soundstage comes with sacrificing imaging and making it more nebulous. This is definitely true of the 598/599 and something like the X2HR. The 560s does not suffer in the imaging department despite the wide soundstage.

I'm almost at the point where I'm not sure if I'd pick up my 58x or 6xx when the 560s is also hanging there lol. Would choose it almost every time for gaming and any music genre.
Dont remember if I asked you this before but do you own the x2hr? Do the hd 560s come close to those in term of soundstage?

Oct 18, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #897 of 2,621
Thanks! Cables really do bring out that bit of extra performance. For sound addicts like me they’re worth it lol
Indeed and for those who think it's ridiculous to spend that amount on a cable for a headphone that is a modest price, it isn't.
If you find something you like or really like, always a good idea to get the most out of it.

Oct 18, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #898 of 2,621
Dont remember if I asked you this before but do you own the x2hr? Do the hd 560s come close to those in term of soundstage?
I owned the x2hr on two separate occasions, most recently sold a pair about a month ago.

The 560s has probably 80-90% of the left/right soundstage of the X2HR, and it has way more forward/back depth. The x2hr is fairly narrow in forward/back depth.

So the x2hr sounds slightly larger to the sides, but the 560s is way more all encompassing.

Oct 18, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #899 of 2,621
Yep, 560S has good depth in general and is cohorent in staging, meaning good image center and "roundness" in stage and it can trace objects pretty sharply.

With the boost for 3D Audio it will be a great investment for gaming purposes. No reason to get anything else at that pricepoint or go even higher until used HD 800 territory. HD 800 amping game is a whole different game.

Just get the 560S and save your money for a good TV, Monitor.

Oct 18, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #900 of 2,621
Hello darkness

Yes, thats a mic in line that works with the 5xx line.
Your welcome :D
I had one of these way back when for my 598. The quality was pretty crappy. I wonder if it's gotten better?

I've always looked at modmic but have been hesitant because adding another wire turns me off, and I really don't like the idea of putting that base clamp on my headphone.

Eh maybe I will give that Amazon mic another shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back