The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Oct 18, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #917 of 2,621
The graph shows HD560s having more peak than the HD600 here.

Idk about that graph you posted, as it has no #s at the bottom so I can’t tell what exactly is happening there. I’ll give you two from DIY Heaven, and regarding the 560S response in particular is the reason I bought the headphone. Because if I saw a peak at 5k I can tell you, I would not have made the purchase. If you look at the 560S response there’s a gentle rise at 5k that is clear as day:

47C0681F-0FB7-4DFD-8450-6FADA1C0FD47.png

Regarding the 600 on the other hand you’ll see there’s a clear peak at 5k:

AA14FF73-3169-480F-9569-F33A6BC36511.png

See what I mean? If your looking for a peak on 560S response it has one at 7k, but that doesn’t bother me at all. I think there’s a lot of information being added there and is one reason the 560s has such good detail.

Oct 18, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #918 of 2,621
Idk about that graph you posted, as it has no #s at the bottom so I can’t tell what exactly is happening there. I’ll give you two from DIY Heaven, and regarding the 560S response in particular is the reason I bought the headphone. Because if I saw a peak at 5k I can tell you, I would not have made the purchase. If you look at the 560S response there’s a gentle rise at 5k that is clear as day:

Regarding the 600 on the other hand you’ll see there’s a clear peak at 5k:

See what I mean? If your looking for a peak on 560S response it has one at 7k, but that doesn’t bother me at all. I think there’s a lot of information being added there and is one reason the 560s has such good detail.

What about the perceived peak at 5k?

Oct 18, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #920 of 2,621
What about the perceived peak at 5k?

I think that’s due to the angled drivers in the 560s influencing the way the mic picks up the response. I don’t hear it the way that perceived response looks. I would go by the actual measurements

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #922 of 2,621
I think that’s due to the angled drivers in the 560s influencing the way the mic picks up the response. I don’t hear it the way that perceived response looks. I would go by the actual measurements

While good as a reference point, Graphs/measurements don't even tell half the story. The best testing gauge, is relative comparison. The most useful reports/reviews, are the ones with head to head comparisons with multiple sets. Everyone's perception/physiology is a little different. The only graphs you can trust, are the ones your mind perceive.

In other words, don't use other people's graphs as gospel. :)

Oct 18, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #923 of 2,621
Im really sad about this

I mean.. what the hell is he talking about? I don't get it.
I know we have different ears/brains and audio is subjective but like c'mon.

It's sad because people view this guy like a god and will take his opinion and never listen to these and that's a shame.

Also people think that you can hear a headphone thru youtube (they sound nothing like that, like at all) ? Are people this dumb ?
What? :worried:

Oct 18, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #924 of 2,621
Also people think that you can hear a headphone thru youtube (they sound nothing like that, like at all) ? Are people this dumb ?

I have never really understood why people listen to sound demo's on YouTube, like Zeos, does a review but then he uploads a separate sound demo... it's not like the headphones your currently wearing is going to show anything...

Oct 18, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #925 of 2,621
I thought the demo sounded better than the actual headphone.

The diagnosis of the coarse and forward mid treble is spot on.

The only thing that I would add is the rolled off upper treble.

But I would encourage anyone to try the hd560s at least for the charming vocals.

Maybe if you are under 30 you can get by with the little upper treble into the air...

But otherwise you have this forward mid treble that is boosted anyways by the natural ear and then it kind of overshadows the high highs.

Oct 18, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #926 of 2,621

But I would encourage anyone to try the hd560s at least for the charming vocals.

Maybe if you are under 30 you can get by with the little upper treble into the air...

But otherwise you have this forward mid treble that is boosted anyways by the natural ear and then it kind of overshadows the high highs.

I mean, when he was A/Bing he said the 6XX and the 58X were almost the same headphone sound wise. I thought that was totally wrong. I hated the 58X. I thought it lacked micro details and sounded harsh/peaky, while also having this bloated bass - a total mess to my ears. It got sold quick.

I really don’t get where he’s coming from, but that’s what he heard..

Oct 18, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #927 of 2,621
Nice comparison against the 58x. To me the sq on the 560s is so close to my Sivga SV007 that I love. If the 560s go on sale for $120 or less later this year I will pick them up.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #928 of 2,621

The sound demo makes it sound harsher and more sizzly than it actually does in my experience, I would say it makes it sound worse than it actually does. Though maybe my system handles treble different than the one used. I do think it is a bit tilted in the upper regions though. But of my dynamic headphones it's my brightest headphone. Of my dynamic headphones this is how I rate them in terms of brightness and warmth.

1. Sennheiser HD 560 S (brightest and least warm but smooth with excellent quality bass, doesn't seem to have any annoying peaks)
2. AKG K612 Pro (an early Austrian made pair with a lot of use/wear, slightly warmer and darker overall but sharper and less smooth up top)
3.) Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 2 (Quite warm and dark in tone with some upper treble energy but excellent resolving ability and smoothness)
4.) Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon (warm and dark with some resonance issues and somewhat rough upper regions)
5.) Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 3 (Warmest, bassiest, and darkest headphone I own but also the most resolving and has excellent control)

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #929 of 2,621
Im really sad about this

I mean.. what the hell is he talking about? I don't get it.
I know we have different ears/brains and audio is subjective but like c'mon.

It's sad because people view this guy like a god and will take his opinion and never listen to these and that's a shame.

Lol this dude looked nuts changing headphones back and forth so quickly.

I don't know, people over analyze stuff. I feel like he went into it expecting/wanting to be against the "popular" opinion of the 560s right now with the initial glowing reviews. Confirmation bias is such a huge part of this hobby, I'm certainly not immune to it. That's why it's so difficult to form opinions about a headphone in just a few listening sessions and certainly while directly comparing them rapidly back to back like this.

Anyway, don't get too caught up in what one person thinks. As prolific as metal571 became as a reviewer, he would always qualify in his videos that it's just his opinion and he's only one dude, and that everyone hears things differently.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back