The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Sep 26, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #136 of 2,621
I have some predictions. (Don't be upset. Just making an educated guess)
I'm getting a feeling there will be a HD700 "S" of some sort coming. It will be most likely priced to compete with Hifiman Ananda ($800-1000). A summit-fi headphone will follow to compete with Utopia. They will keep the HD800s for a little bit longer depending on sales. Product Line : HD560s, HD660s, HD760s, HD860s, HD1000

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #137 of 2,621
Yeah the term 'veiled' was not the most fitting one.
Owned 598, treble felt soft and veiled to me. Auditioned 660S several times and thought the treble wasn't significantly different. But I could be wrong.
660S may be good for long term listening but I wanted a bit more 'fun', so I went for Hifiman Sundara instead. I like its sound, but is not as comfortable as 598 or 660S.
I find the HD58X to be the fun Sennheiser.

Sep 26, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #139 of 2,621
It does say "All-new transducer with new polymer-blend transducer diaphragm for linear excursion" so I'm hoping for something new to bridge the gap between the 5xx and 6xx series as I never got on with the 559, 579.

The way DMS was talking in his review, it sounded like this new driver produces a really different kind of sound in terms of attack/decay and soundstage width, while elevating slightly what was good about the 650 in the bass and treble regions. When he said he couldn’t believe a dynamic driver could produce the kind of decay he was hearing, I was intrigued. He also said the 560s basically destroyed the whole 6 series line lol, which also was eye opening. His review kinda swayed me ngl. I hope I agree w him, although I probably won’t sell my HD6XX either way

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #141 of 2,621
Tempted to jump on board, sight unseen, but Imma wait at least until I can source not-crazily-priced 4.4mm balanced & 3.5mm single ended cables for use with portable/transportable rigs.

I'll let you know if my short HD569 cable works with it when I get my pre-orded HD560s unit. I think it will.

Sep 26, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #142 of 2,621
HD660s doesnt sound veiled at all...maybe u need something like Beyers or HD700 or HD800 that have a lot of highs
Beyers have too much treble for me, and the clamping force is too strong for me.
I liked the sound of HD800 but I couldn't afford it. Sundara was kind of a sweet spot for me.

I got my sundara the new version 2020 they are clear very clear compare to 660 at they are nice but honestly the 660 have smoother warmer sound that i can hear for hours also soundstage is so better on 660 everything feel so tight and close to me. On Sundara everything sounds far like the singer is 20 meters away the separation is amazing and fast but i feel that there is a lot of air between them like every instrument is separated ...doesnt feel like that in real life at least to my eyears intruments blend better on HD660 I like both of them and i am happy thay Sundara sound so different good for me :) . But personally i prefer 660 on most times and mostly at night and low volumes .
I totally agree. Sundara is fun but 660S is more suitable for nonstop listening for hours.
I got the 2019 version (I think) and I had a bit of quality issue. The good thing is Hifiman was kind enough to send me a replacement.
While Sundara is not heavy (less than 400 grams), it's not like 598 or 660S that you basically forget you're wearing it. That's the thing I miss the most about 598.

Sep 26, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #143 of 2,621
Did anyone see that guy criticizing the graphs? I pulled the trigger after the DMS and Solderdude review. Had been wanting a Seen and kinda like that shape.

Now Sennheiser! If you are listening what you need to do is make an ANC bluetooth in that chassis and allow pads from the other 500 series to be swapped on. I actually liked the 4.40 sound but the size killed it for me.

That chassis would allow you to get a nice amount of tech in and you'd have a full size Senn you could use anywhere.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #144 of 2,621
Did anyone see that guy criticizing the graphs? I pulled the trigger after the DMS and Solderdude review. Had been wanting a Seen and kinda like that shape.

Now Sennheiser! If you are listening what you need to do is make an ANC bluetooth in that chassis and allow pads from the other 500 series to be swapped on. I actually liked the 4.40 sound but the size killed it for me.

That chassis would allow you to get a nice amount of tech in and you'd have a full size Senn you could use anywhere.

It's hard to miss them. They've posted a handful of videos. I've never known someone hate on a product so much before it's even released. How many times can you recycle the same lines with the only reference being a single FR graph.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #145 of 2,621
Sometimes I don't want to say this too loudly, because it's nice to be part of an elite club hiding in plain sight. But sometimes I feel like spreading the love and letting the world know. So I will let you in on a secret. The HD-650 is not the true standard. The one headphone to rule them all is...

WA3 and 600.jpg
I'll be honest out of HD 650 and HD 600, HD 600 all the way for me too. :smile: HD 650 is still pretty good though.

Sep 27, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #146 of 2,621
Decided to order these and give them a shot to fill in the neutrally tuned and mid-focused spot in my headphone line-up. An HD 600-esque sound with a more spacious soundstage and the HD 5xx form factor/comfort sounds interesting to me. Already have a darker and more bass oriented headphone with the T1 gen 3.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #148 of 2,621
Regarding predictions...

I doubt it. They just let go 25 percent of their staff go if I remember correctly. The 560S was probably the last thing in the pipeline during covid. I'd like to be wrong tho.

It really sounds like they are being nimble and adjusting to a massive reduction in revenue due to the virtual disappearance of live events, reduced in-store sales, etc. The news release also mentions that it's the support divisions, supply, etc. taking the hit, not product development.

I hope that when they say the consumer and professional operations are being given more control, audiophile products fit under one or both of those units.

https://en-de.sennheiser.com/mediaroom/sennheiser-presents-2019-results-and-announces-job-cuts

Sep 27, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #150 of 2,621
If somebody owns an x2hr like me, when you get this 560s, please make a comparison.

the Fidelio X3 just came out too. I think its $299 though can't remember. edit no its $349

doubt it even beats this 560 S for my personal taste, I don't plan to try it out so eh

I know my 58X smashed, destroyed, and ate the X2's for breakfast. I love my 58X. really hope my 560 S beats HD58X so I can finally sell my 58X and have a new daily driver. Sundara didn't even beat my 58X (for personal tastes)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back