The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Sep 27, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #151 of 2,621
the Fidelio X3 just came out too. I think its $299 though can't remember. edit no its $349

doubt it even beats this 560 S for my personal taste, I don't plan to try it out so eh

I know my 58X smashed, destroyed, and ate the X2's for breakfast. I love my 58X. really hope my 560 S beats HD58X so I can finally sell my 58X and have a new daily driver. Sundara didn't even beat my 58X (for personal tastes)
Could you tell me in which areas you think the 58x is superior compared to the x2hr? I tested the hd660s at store and I was not impressed. I didn't like the narrow soundstage and the clarity/imaging didn't seem that much different vs the x2hr.

Sep 27, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #152 of 2,621
Could you tell me in which areas you think the 58x is superior compared to the x2hr? I tested the hd660s at store and I was not impressed. I didn't like the narrow soundstage and the clarity/imaging didn't seem that much different vs the x2hr.

Well X2 and X2HR are different are they not? I am not sure been awhile since I have been in this hobby, I took a year break or two. So I can't comment on X2HR it might be more amazing than X2. I also owned X1. My HD58X was just better at overall clarity and "slam" in music, I could hear pronunciation of words more clearly, the soundstage was good, but also unique not traditional soundstage, one thing I will say about the X2 is that they have very amazing soundstage and accuracy. I kind of like the intimate unique soundstage of HD58X though.

I have never heard 660S but I doubt I would prefer them over my 58X, I mean the 58X is the reason I retired from the hobby. lol

again these are my memories on x2 vs hd58x... its been a long time, so take it with a grain of salt. also, amp/dac plays a huge role imo... so if you own a crappy amp and dac you will get crappy results and comparisons. there are great amps/dacs at every price range, just have to be careful in pairing imo

Sep 27, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #153 of 2,621
the Fidelio X3 just came out too. I think its $299 though can't remember. edit no its $349

doubt it even beats this 560 S for my personal taste, I don't plan to try it out so eh

I know my 58X smashed, destroyed, and ate the X2's for breakfast. I love my 58X. really hope my 560 S beats HD58X so I can finally sell my 58X and have a new daily driver. Sundara didn't even beat my 58X (for personal tastes)
Can you compare Sundara vs HD58X? Thanks!

Sep 27, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #155 of 2,621
Can you compare Sundara vs HD58X? Thanks!
To me Sundara are more clear faster with bigger soundstage , HD58X feel a little bit warmer about bass thats strange on some tracks with low end Sundara sound more impactful on some others with high bass HD58X had more impact ... Vocals again to me sounded better on HD58X more close and natural. On my amp dacs Even if Sundara sounded colder ...HD 58X got some harshness on some tracks and overall HD 58X detail to my ears are in the HD 5 series line ...Going from HD58X to HD 600,650,660s i can sure hear better detail on all range ... Also a lot of people say about the bass on HD58X yeah u get a little bit more but the detail and Texture on SUndara and HD660s are way way better. To say it simple it feels like that Sundara and HD660 have more progression on this bass range like something has more steps before it hits u. But again u cant get those differences if u are not have them side by side ... Sundara have different sound and i dont have to listen them side by side i can always remember and say that they sound fast very open like a fun live sound . Sennheisers HD 6 series are like listen music in a wooden House that absorbs sound reflections and the singer is in front of u without screaming and all the instruments are behind her .
So if u like this type of sound start with HD58X... if u are sure that u like this type of sound then Get HD 600-660s or HD650 that are a little bit warmer and veiled in a good way.
Sundara are something beautiful on another type of sound . ( and get warranty with Sundara ) they are not like HD 6 series that last forever.

Sep 27, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #156 of 2,621
The comparisons can't come soon enough. It's been a while since something that's both exciting and affordable came out, so I am glad the 560S came around.

Also, regarding the post above; HiFiMAN and Sennheiser have a very different house sound, both in terms of energy and spaciousness. Comparing the 4xx/5xx HFM range and the 5xx/6xx SENN ranges is not exactly fair, as the former were always more spacious and energetic, while the latter goes for s more relaxed and intimate experience.

If the 560S is a bit different in this regard, it might make the comparison to HFM's offerings more even. Personally to me, aside from the 400S and HEX (and barring the newest, priciest stuff HFM made, like the Susvara and HEKSE which I have not heard), I've always found HFM erring on the thinner, more analytical sound, with a well extended, but somewhat soft bass response and crystal clear, somewhat aggressive treble. This is the signature HFM house sound.

I am trying to find a headphone that'll best match the sound of my reference speakers which are devoid of artificially inflated, detail magnifying treble. I currently own the Verums which I find very good for the price and fairly balanced, if a bit soft in the bass and treble regions, but nonetheless closer to my preferred reference sound. So I am excited to see how the 560S might compare to some of the well-established, consciously priced offerings from Senn, AKG, Beyer, Phillips, Dan Clark and yes, HFM too.

It is looking very promising so far so that's good to hear!

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #157 of 2,621
I have some predictions. (Don't be upset. Just making an educated guess)
I'm getting a feeling there will be a HD700 "S" of some sort coming. It will be most likely priced to compete with Hifiman Ananda ($800-1000). A summit-fi headphone will follow to compete with Utopia. They will keep the HD800s for a little bit longer depending on sales. Product Line : HD560s, HD660s, HD760s, HD860s, HD1000
Hope you're right.

Sep 27, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #158 of 2,621
I just hope returns with Digital River are easy, if it ends up being a super pain I am never buying Senn again. That is honestly the only thing I am worried about as I have never dealt with buying direct from Sennheiser before. That being said, I hope I am here 5 days after they arrive selling my 58X because I finally found a replacement :D

Sep 27, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #159 of 2,621
I assume these will be available on Amazon on the 29th?

Sep 27, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #160 of 2,621
I just hope returns with Digital River are easy, if it ends up being a super pain I am never buying Senn again. That is honestly the only thing I am worried about as I have never dealt with buying direct from Sennheiser before. That being said, I hope I am here 5 days after they arrive selling my 58X because I finally found a replacement :D

Bought a few from their outlet. Returns were free and easy,

Sep 27, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #161 of 2,621
This seems a lot like a spiritual successor to the HD-590, which was my first "real" headphone 15 years ago. Same 120 ohm impedance and single-entry cable, too. Let's hope these sound better than 590. If these can manage to at least be a "sidegrade" to the HD-650, I would be happy. I think Sennheiser is intending these to be a "gateway" headphone to tempt mainstream consumers into the higher-end world. In that role, the single-entry cable isn't such a bad thing.

I could see them being useful for a desktop setup when you want something comfortable and convenient to reach for when listening that still meets a minimum sound-quality standard. Heavy and bulky flagships with obnoxious cables aren't always the most convenient for quick sessions or passive listening when you're trying to focus on something else like studying. It's part of the reason I've stuck with the 650 for so long, despite having owned several flagships from various brands.

EDIT: Maybe these will have modding potential, too?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #162 of 2,621
This seems a lot like a spiritual successor to the HD-590, which was my first "real" headphone 15 years ago. Same 120 ohm impedance and single-entry cable, too. Let's hope these sound better than 590. If these can manage to at least be a "sidegrade" to the HD-650, I would be happy. I think Sennheiser is intending these to be a "gateway" headphone to tempt mainstream consumers into the higher-end world. In that role, the single-entry cable isn't such a bad thing.

I could see them being useful for a desktop setup when you want something comfortable and convenient to reach for when listening that still meets a minimum sound-quality standard. Heavy and bulky flagships with obnoxious cables aren't always the most convenient for quick sessions or passive listening when you're trying to focus on something else like studying. It's part of the reason I've stuck with the 650 for so long, despite having owned several flagships from various brands.

EDIT: Maybe these will have modding potential, too?

They could be ran balanced with the right cable which makes single entry perfect as you get the benefits but not the negative. We just need the cable.

Sep 27, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #163 of 2,621
They could be ran balanced with the right cable which makes single entry perfect as you get the benefits but not the negative. We just need the cable.

I'm sure they will sell a replacement cable eventually, in which case if you're handy, you could splice a 4-pin XLR onto it.

Sep 27, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #164 of 2,621
I'm sure they will sell a replacement cable eventually, in which case if you're handy, you could splice a 4-pin XLR onto it.

On the same hand, I feel like people who own balanced amps/dacs already own $500+ headphones, so I really feel like Senn did the smart thing here, native 6.3mm which makes a lot of sense for this price bracket.

Sep 27, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #165 of 2,621
On the same hand, I feel like people who own balanced amps/dacs already own $500+ headphones, so I really feel like Senn did the smart thing here, native 6.3mm which makes a lot of sense for this price bracket.

The people buying might not have balanced equipment but it would be nice to see if they have a positive improvement with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back