The NEW ATH-ES700..
Nov 3, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #841 of 1,098
  So i in past bought ES700 for $130 shipped. And also for $12 esw9 pleather pads. But i sold them. Why?
because they on 45% songs sounded fanstastic(better than cks1000), but 55% songs were terrible with them. mids sounded so dreadful and muddy in bright songs. And bass impact isnt so great, as others say. Even with stock pads.
Comfort - with stock pads i can use them only for hour, but with esw9 pads - over 5 hours.
So while on some tracks they were exellent, but on others they sucked. I guess that i dont like mid centric headphones at all. I rather prefer V shape, because on es700 mids was on front and too loud, but highs and lows was in background. 
For most users, ws77 for $90 or ws99 for $160 wold be much better, because of better balance of lows, mids and highs. And also bigger bass impact. I actually bought WS33X for $50 for my brother.

I agree, I like the WS77 more than my ES500, because the ES500 is too med-centric for my tastes. It sounds very good just not my preference. I'm gonna get the ATH S500 at some point, because I think they will be awesome. 

Nov 3, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #842 of 1,098
So i in past bought ES700 for $130 shipped. And also for $12 esw9 pleather pads. But i sold them. Why?
because they on 45% songs sounded fanstastic(better than cks1000), but 55% songs were terrible with them. mids sounded so dreadful and muddy in bright songs. And bass impact isnt so great, as others say. Even with stock pads.
Comfort - with stock pads i can use them only for hour, but with esw9 pads - over 5 hours.
So while on some tracks they were exellent, but on others they sucked. I guess that i dont like mid centric headphones at all. I rather prefer V shape, because on es700 mids was on front and too loud, but highs and lows was in background. 
For most users, ws77 for $90 or ws99 for $160 wold be much better, because of better balance of lows, mids and highs. And also bigger bass impact. I actually bought WS33X for $50 for my brother.

I definitely agree with this.

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #844 of 1,098
  well V-shape sound is just not for me as i love mids. thats y these are my fav headphone and i sold my dt770pro for this lol. hate the sound of the DT770pro

Weird... I love the signature of both the ES700 and the DT770(/80)

Nov 4, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #845 of 1,098
  I agree, I like the WS77 more than my ES500, because the ES500 is too med-centric for my tastes. It sounds very good just not my preference. I'm gonna get the ATH S500 at some point, because I think they will be awesome. 

Go for it, and let us know how good it is.

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #846 of 1,098
iemguy66 said:
I rather prefer V shape, because on es700 mids was on front and too loud, but highs and lows was in background. 
For most users, ws77 for $90 or ws99 for $160 wold be much better, because of better balance of lows, mids and highs.

Ws99 is actually a more lower mid or "chocolate" sounding can. Yet still flat and lean and large and not recessed.

I think you would much prefer the sweet & bassy sound of the esw9 better.
It has a slight v shape in upper mids creating a slightly laid back sound in comparison.

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #847 of 1,098
I'm lucky to live in Tokyo, there are so many hi-fi shops with display cans you can just drop in and try out whenever you feel like it. Of course, Audio-Technica are very prominent here, and there's many good reasons for that. AT often has the biggest displays and sample listening stations, so I've listened to pretty much all of them, they are set up with the same music, same sources. I'm quite amazed at the quality AT are able to produce even at the lower price points. I bought a pair of A900X because they are simply great for the price, and only seemed to sacrifice a little bit compared to HPs way up the price point (e.g., W-1000x).

But there is a difference, and it takes a while for it to become obvious. For example, the A900X vs the W-1000x is quite analogous to the ES700 vs the ES10. There is simply a fullness and richness in the higher priced cans relative to their less expensive counterparts. In the cheaper phones there is a sort of "cardboard-ness" to the sound, I don't know how else to describe it (stiff at higher freqs, resonant in the mids, but limp on the low end). At first listen the cheaper counterparts give the impression of more expansive mids, and indeed they do sound great on some songs. But it is somewhat artifical sounding to my ears, and the mids seem to bleed a bit more across the mid-spectrum than they should. And unfortunately they usually leave me wanting something more, especially on the bass end.

The ES700s sell for $100 here right now in Tokyo, and there's no question that they're a fantastic HP at that price. But I had to get a pair of ES10 after hearing the differences, and fortunately I was able to find some used for $210 (stoked!). So if you can find a pair of ES10 for $300 or less, I'd say they're definitely worth it. But it not, the ES700 are a great pair of portable cans, and excellent value for the price.

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #848 of 1,098
Yes the es10 are sooo superior that even now years after initial release they are still one of the top portable on ears..

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #855 of 1,098
Right, loving these headphones in many ways, however I'm suffering from the vice-like clamp that they subject on the skull.

Where can one in the UK source ESW9 pads for these, does anyone know?

I'm reverting to my Sennheiser HD212Pro's for extended listening - ack! (Interestingly the cheap Sennheiser's, as well as being more comfortable, seem to have a wider wider soundstage than the ES700's, which feel quite "close").

Users who are viewing this thread

Back