The NEW ATH-ES700..
Nov 27, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #871 of 1,098
I got some here used them 5 hours they are as good as new £145 inc ((papal transaction or collection)) they just got shipped from Jp - currently in London invoice to prove ??

Need to know and recieve payment by Sat 4pm or sending back to Jp. If you don't like them sound wise I won'tbe taking them back 

Nov 27, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #872 of 1,098
I got some here used them 5 hours they are as good as new £145 inc ((papal transaction or collection)) they just got shipped from Jp - currently in London invoice to prove ??

Need to know and recieve payment by Sat 4pm or sending back to Jp. If you don't like them sound wise I won'tbe taking them back 

Aww that's ok, then send them back then as I am in USA and shipping would kill any deal..

Also I already have an es700 & know its sound.
I moded it extensively in past.

I own the w3000anv & sw9 & esw10 & esw11 & es700. & I use to own the es10 & es7 & ws99..
I know each cans sound intimately,
So I know their shortcomings and potentials..
I feel the direction audio technica is going for a larger sound in its latest esw11.
I am also working on a mod with another member much better at modding than me, using the es700 driver out of that thin metal housing that is confining it's true abilities.
So although u find the es700 not to your liking, if you still own one by time I am done (few more weeks) you can try my next mod.

Also noticed the jvc and it is not out of my radar.
Lots of new cans these last few months but most are in $300 range so good to see something less expensive..

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #873 of 1,098
I recently got one of these a few days ago for quite a discount while I was in akihabara's E-Earphone shop (6000 yen and only lightly used :D ). I must say, they really are the classiest-looking & most understated portable headphones I've ever seen -- even when comparing them to the rest of the earsuit line in my opinion. Sound quality is quite excellent too -- probably the best-sounding closed portables I've heard so far.

The way they lay flat when the cups are swiveled is perhaps the best feature for me, since I can easily just stash it into the pouch and throw it into my handbag without it taking up precious room (flattened vs. folded was something I debated with my BF about since he originally thought my headphones would be much more compact with a traditional DJ folding design -- until I mentioned that he could easily fit it in his narrow briefcase).

Though yeah, the stock pads are awfully uncomfortable; it almost ruins it for me. So I swapped the stock ones with the much comfier vinyl pads from my cheapo (and poor-sounding) ATH-SJ33s that were otherwise lying around at work & gathering dust. I noticed that the HP-WS55 pads that were recommended here are not perfectly circular (yet are relatively the same thickness as the SJ33 pads... as well as having the same vinyl texture/quality). So maybe the HP-SJ33 pads can be a great alternative to the WS55 pads if you want more comfort -- yet are OCD about keeping its perfectly circular design consistent like I am, haha.

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #876 of 1,098
  They look good but sound terrible in my opinion go get something cheaper it will sound better - very disappointing for me !

Can you name some examples? I spent around 35 GBP for mine (though for new in Japan they cost around 9800 yen/58 GBP, so let's just go with that instead). If you can name me another portable-type headphone that is both less than that amount and sounds better to you -- yet is just as compact / easy to stash in a purse or briefcase and is easily drivable off, saaaay, the average iPhone's built-in headphone amp, that would be totally awesome.

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #877 of 1,098
  They look good but sound terrible in my opinion go get something cheaper it will sound better - very disappointing for me !

You really need to elaborate a bit on the "sound terrible" part! What do you mean? Bass lite? Grainy/unclear? Sibilant? I'm running my pair through the RWAK100 via a Vorzamp duo and the sound IMO is quite excellent! Great bass impact and extension with very nice texture (when I flick the duo bass boost they really hit HARD!). The mids are engaging and not too laid back. Highs have nice extension, but might be a bit on the light side for me (that's why I use the duo, treble boost baby!). I really can't see how anyone can just write the sound of the ES700's off as "terrible".

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #878 of 1,098
bass lite for a headphone which is rated with such a low end frequency response for a start... Kinda figures you need dual bass boost to extract bass from the E700 :)

It's pretty simple really they sound highly compressed (small sound stage) very artificial,uninspiring to say the least although you say the reverse... compared to say the HD-25 Mk1 the E700's are no better I am comparing to a 10+ year old pair of headphones So What's progressed with the E700's ?

IMO they are not good sounding headphones and I could not recommend them to others, although on this forum has no doubt many have confirmed the same and that to there are cheaper headphones that sound better ...

Even a pair of $30 superlux's would sound better that's why my E700's were sent back to Japan ASAP and I bought three pairs of superlux headphones with part of the money to celebrate Hd-440,330,668b the rest paid for cables plugs etc

I think people can justify or condem anything they want IMHO E700's are very over prices people are definitely getting caught up on looks and branding not value for money !

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #879 of 1,098
You got a good deal to be honest I never herd of someone getting E700's for £35. Amazon UK cheapest prices prices from Japan are £122 plus import duty £140 ish .

Let me ask you if you had paid £140 + for your E700's would you of bought them ??

The Sen HD Series are equal to the E700 sound quality other wise similar althoughthe MK 1's sound much better affordable used and equal in price new. if you go back some clicks someone above recommends JVC's over E700's which are affordable like 75% cheaper... the sound magiic's are nice too !

Buy yourself a JD labs Cmoy or a C&C BH Amp off ebay they around the £40-60 ish new marker much better then powering of your device that will open up a world of cans to your idevice :)

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #880 of 1,098

They do look better than they sound, although I wouldn't say they sounds terrible.
JVC HA-S400 at 25$ is slightly better, HA-S680 is in a whole different league at 80$

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #881 of 1,098
Okay but I think they are terrible so we beg to disagree here on that but they ain't worth the green backs for the sound you get out of them - very expensive
mirror reflection of yours truly from either side. I've a feeling that any V moda would smoke the ES700 as a portable athough many don't rate them....

Anyone here tried the V Moda M80's against the ES700 - any verdicts ?? Build quality alone would bust them but they around the same money in the US now ??

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #882 of 1,098
  Okay but I think they are terrible so we beg to disagree here on that but they ain't worth the green backs for the sound you get out of them - very expensive
mirror reflection of yours truly from either side. I've a feeling that any V moda would smoke the ES700 as a portable athough many don't rate them....

Anyone here tried the V Moda M80's against the ES700 - any verdicts ?? Build quality alone would bust them but they around the same money in the US now ??

I'm starting to think your pair was defective 
biggrin.gif
 One simply can't describe the sound of the ES700's as "terrible", regardless of preferences in tonal balance!

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #883 of 1,098
+1

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #884 of 1,098
I have to admit I was not very impressed with these at first. I ended up doing the mods posted by Maxx134 and they have become my favorite portables. Highly recommend the modding.

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #885 of 1,098
Need some new HPs as my gf has taken possession of my HA-S500s :/

Looking at Brainwavz HM9, TDK ST750, Sennheiser HD25-SPII, ATH-M50s, ATH-ES700 and ATH-WS77 (maybe even WS99 if I can find for cheaper than £140)... not really decided at the minute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back