The NEW ATH-ES700..
Dec 11, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #903 of 1,098
I would search this thread or read most of it before coming to any conclusions.  Recents posts from two members suggest otherwise but many have enjoyed this headphone and still do.  There's better headphones out there that might be cheaper but by no means this headphone is bad.  

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #904 of 1,098
  You have convinced me to try a pair of the S400 and S500's just gotta find someone based in the UK that will let me try them 
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd love to hear your opinion on the S500's (that I personally find to be the best bang-for-buck-headphones I've ever heard!). I'm especially interested in what you have to say when it comes to burn in 
biggrin.gif
 I was no burn-in believer before the S500's but I am today (at least when it comes to dynamic CNT drivers). I bought 3 pairs of S500's when I got mine. Gave one pair to one of my colleagues and one to my brother in law. My colleague use his pair quite modestly, and I'd say I used mine quite heavily at one point (until I got the ES700's 
biggrin.gif
). I did a few brown noise burn in cycles on my S500's and to date at least about +300h headtime, and the bass on them has settled and cleaned up quite a bit (audible to me personally, and I don't have golden ears). My burn in belief has grown even further with the FXZ200's. I'll still have to compare mine to my brother in laws pair, which have been used for +1000h during the last year due to it being hes main pair. Compared to these CNT driver models, I think ES700 burn in is strictly ears adjusting to the sound sig. YMMV

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #906 of 1,098
You have convinced me to try a pair of the S400 and S500's just gotta find someone based in the UK that will let me try them 
smily_headphones1.gif

You should definitely go for the new S680! The discount price isnt gonna last long, and going by the reputation of the old S400+s500(which I have) I just couldnt let this opportunity pass me by so I went for it. At the moment the status on BuySmartJapan is "Prepared for Shipping", wonder if it changes to "Shipped" today.

Here is the guide by BenF how to buy from there:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/690493/the-jvc-ha-s680-s400s-and-s500s-big-brother-is-here/75#post_10051650

Still can't believe the TOTAL was £45, thats an amazing price! :D

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #907 of 1,098
  I would search this thread or read most of it before coming to any conclusions.  Recents posts from two members suggest otherwise but many have enjoyed this headphone and still do.  There's better headphones out there that might be cheaper but by no means this headphone is bad.  

Indeed, the search for the holy grail continues

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #908 of 1,098
So what would you recommend in the ball park DannyBai ?

I was able to find the Yamaha HPH-200 for under $100 and I like the sound a little more over the ES700's. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either the S400 or 500's. Both very good IMO. Not sure if the bass on the Yamaha's will be sufficient for you though. The Creative Aurvana Live 2 is another good choice but not a real bargain.

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #909 of 1,098
I was able to find the Yamaha HPH-200 for under $100 and I like the sound a little more over the ES700's. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either the S400 or 500's. Both very good IMO. Not sure if the bass on the Yamaha's will be sufficient for you though. The Creative Aurvana Live 2 is another good choice but not a real bargain.

How would you say the Yamaha HPH-200 sounded if you had to describe them breifly ??

I'd like to try the V Moda M80's cos they are so well built despite the reviews being so poor as regards their sound some people like them - they might need some recabling and a ear cushion foam mod or a little port drilled just a case of where haa

I do like Ilike the concept of the Beyerdynamic adjustable bass ports on the Custom Pro One would of suited the V moda link below shows nice but they arn't portables like the !

Maybe even the V moda needs its driver changed altogether or maybe a reference amp like the 02 shoved on them to tame the V in there somewhere some how some way but waiting for their price to drop a bit before I even go there but they are real eye catchers for sure even the plain black ones without the red trimming are hot eye candy.

http://my-headphone.com

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #910 of 1,098
The Yamaha's have a more natural sounding vocals and shows less coloration. More air and better instrument separation with the open cups. Treble is sparkly and yet not fatiguing. Bass sounds a little more loose to me but has better lower extension.

The V-Moda's to me are not as good sounding. It has good amount of bass that's satisfying so that's a plus. Vocals will be more recessed and treble recessed also. Not a bad sounding headphone but I don't think its better than the AT or Yamaha.

The Beyers are fun and love the bass. It has this big club like sound. Treble is very tame for a Beyer headphone and definitely more recessed vocals compared to the others. Still, very enjoyable for certain genres like electronica.

M100's are steep in price but betters the M80's by a good margin. It might seem like a sturdy design but the plastic on the yolks won't take much abuse. Good warranty on their products though.

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #911 of 1,098
  I'd love to hear your opinion on the S500's (that I personally find to be the best bang-for-buck-headphones I've ever heard!). I'm especially interested in what you have to say when it comes to burn in 
biggrin.gif
 I was no burn-in believer before the S500's but I am today (at least when it comes to dynamic CNT drivers). I bought 3 pairs of S500's when I got mine. Gave one pair to one of my colleagues and one to my brother in law. My colleague use his pair quite modestly, and I'd say I used mine quite heavily at one point (until I got the ES700's 
biggrin.gif
). I did a few brown noise burn in cycles on my S500's and to date at least about +300h headtime, and the bass on them has settled and cleaned up quite a bit (audible to me personally, and I don't have golden ears). My burn in belief has grown even further with the FXZ200's. I'll still have to compare mine to my brother in laws pair, which have been used for +1000h during the last year due to it being hes main pair. Compared to these CNT driver models, I think ES700 burn in is strictly ears adjusting to the sound sig. YMMV

''I think ES700 burn in is strictly ears adjusting to the sound sig'' there is some real honesty coming out here.. heeee 
smily_headphones1.gif

But by the way I'm not saying that burn in's are not feasable or necessary on some headphones,amps,speakers just doubt the ES700's would change that radically since I listened to them for 7 days half heartdly I must admit even left them on over night attached to the mac which was less painful.

I'll still have to compare mine to my brother in laws pair, which have been used for +1000h well I'd be interested in what you learn from that but that would also depend on what music he was playing through them the quality of the tracks how much he has actually worked the drivers if he is also using a bass boost and a $500 amp like you right ? If he's been using them off an iphone they would curtainly sound different to your pair there are to many factors I guess but still interesting 

I'm especially interested in what you have to say when it comes to burn in 
biggrin.gif

I am going to buy a pair of S500's for my partner for Christmas I will listen to them listen to them out of the box then let her burn them in as I can't take the suspense also think of anything she might like more she's already has been emailed on all the tec stuff re Carbon Nanotube but had no idea at that point what I was really suggesting - of course I'd then borrow them back after shes used them for a decade and let you know so don't hold your breath given the length of burn in time involved ... should be interesting to see what happens as she thinks the EU 6000's are sweet sounding cos they work with anything you play on them straight off the iphone without an amp.

I'll be back in a Jiffy !!  
gs1000.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #912 of 1,098
The Yamaha's have a more natural sounding vocals and shows less coloration. More air and better instrument separation with the open cups. Treble is sparkly and yet not fatiguing. Bass sounds a little more loose to me but has better lower extension.

The V-Moda's to me are not as good sounding. It has good amount of bass that's satisfying so that's a plus. Vocals will be more recessed and treble recessed also. Not a bad sounding headphone but I don't think its better than the AT or Yamaha.

The Beyers are fun and love the bass. It has this big club like sound. Treble is very tame for a Beyer headphone and definitely more recessed vocals compared to the others. Still, very enjoyable for certain genres like electronica.

M100's are steep in price but betters the M80's by a good margin. It might seem like a sturdy design but the plastic on the yolks won't take much abuse. Good warranty on their products though.

Nice advise and have to agree that pure cast iron yokes are a must for that money to match their all so ''I am indstructable build persona'' or lets face it you might as well go for a pair of $5 Koss's attached to a little sansa clip and save a mamoth crust 
popcorn.gif
 the M100's would definately be better but I got a ton of superluxs here to mod out so the bigger stuff is a little less important to me that the portable gear right now - guess I'm really looking for an ES700 replacement that sounds better for a quarter of the greenbacks !!

I think I was severly emotionally affected by the ES700's that whole week I wont go anear or sport any Audio Technica gear on my head for a very long time because of it - it's an expensive price to pay for meek limited sounding highly polished set of mirrors on my ears and they are taking the mickey charging people that kinda money IMHA others feel differently but when a pair of HD-330's come at £23 and put them in another hemisphere I feel somebody just took advantage of my trust !

The only other explination I can find is that they were factory B grade but they looked and felt as perfect as they should sealed in the box so I'm still scratching my head !

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #914 of 1,098
  How would you say the Yamaha HPH-200 sounded if you had to describe them breifly ??

I'd like to try the V Moda M80's cos they are so well built despite the reviews being so poor as regards their sound some people like them - they might need some recabling and a ear cushion foam mod or a little port drilled just a case of where haa

I do like Ilike the concept of the Beyerdynamic adjustable bass ports on the Custom Pro One would of suited the V moda link below shows nice but they arn't portables like the !

Maybe even the V moda needs its driver changed altogether or maybe a reference amp like the 02 shoved on them to tame the V in there ''somewhere some how some way'' but just waiting for their price to drop a bit before I even go there but they are real eye catchers for sure even the plain black ones without the red trimming are hot eye candy.

http://my-headphone.com

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #915 of 1,098

Users who are viewing this thread

Back