The NEW ATH-ES700..
Dec 11, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #916 of 1,098

I'll still have to compare mine to my brother in laws pair, which have been used for +1000h well I'd be interested in what you learn from that but that would also depend on what music he was playing through them the quality of the tracks how much he has actually worked the drivers if he is also using a bass boost and a $500 amp like you right ? If he's been using them off an iphone they would curtainly sound different to your pair there are to many factors I guess but still interesting 

I gave the S500's to him coupled with a Fiio E07k as a birthday gift and he's been running them together ever since! I myself have always used my S500's with a E17 (sometimes docked to a E09k), so the influence of the amp should not be a big issue. We listen to roughly the same kind of music too.

Damn discussion this has spun OT 
biggrin.gif
 ES700 ES700 ES700

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #917 of 1,098
The Yamaha's have a more natural sounding vocals and shows less coloration. More air and better instrument separation with the open cups. Treble is sparkly and yet not fatiguing. Bass sounds a little more loose to me but has better lower extension.

The V-Moda's to me are not as good sounding. It has good amount of bass that's satisfying so that's a plus. Vocals will be more recessed and treble recessed also. Not a bad sounding headphone but I don't think its better than the AT or Yamaha.

The Beyers are fun and love the bass. It has this big club like sound. Treble is very tame for a Beyer headphone and definitely more recessed vocals compared to the others. Still, very enjoyable for certain genres like electronica.

M100's are steep in price but betters the M80's by a good margin. It might seem like a sturdy design but the plastic on the yolks won't take much abuse. Good warranty on their products though.

Wouldn't the tradeoffs of an es700 and Yamaha be their designs? One is open and has better detail+ extension, the other is a closed headphone. The problem? The sound leakage. Is that the case with Yamaha in comparison to the es700? I love the at headphones to death, and if the yamahas are better with just a bit more sound leakage, I'll probably sell mine

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #918 of 1,098
HPH200 has very airy sound, which ironically is its main disadvantage.
It sounds like the sound is coming from further away, as if somebody pulled the headphones back a little bit.
Because of this, there is no intimacy, vocals sound artificial.
Mid-bass is boomy, sub-bass non-existent.

I strongly prefer ES700 to HPH200.

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #919 of 1,098
Wouldn't the tradeoffs of an es700 and Yamaha be their designs? One is open and has better detail+ extension, the other is a closed headphone. The problem? The sound leakage. Is that the case with Yamaha in comparison to the es700? I love the at headphones to death, and if the yamahas are better with just a bit more sound leakage, I'll probably sell mine

It actually leaks quite a bit and do not isolate very well.  The design has a lot to the sound as you stated I'm thinking.  

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #921 of 1,098

JVC HA-S500 Carbon nanotubes diaphragm Over-head Style Headphone - Bronze http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-nanotubes-diaphragm-Over-head-Headphone/dp/B008FWB9XW/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386822247&sr=1-8&keywords=Carbon+Nanotube

It's a seller from jp.

Haha I already have those :wink:

The ones I bought (JVC HA-S680) are a successor to S400 and S500, and these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-High-Quality-Lightweight-Headphones-Black/dp/B004428UZW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_5

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #922 of 1,098
I would search this thread or read most of it before coming to any conclusions.  Recents posts from two members suggest otherwise but many have enjoyed this headphone and still do.  There's better headphones out there that might be cheaper but by no means this headphone is bad.  

Exactly!

...Okay but I think they are terrible so we beg to disagree here...

Consider yourself extremely special to be among the very few that hate the es700 considering it was so well liked that it was sold out in japan for a brief time.

The fact is because of the nature of the human ear, that no two are alike in shape and size and depth (ear canal) even on same head(!)..
so there will always be a "general consensus as to how good a can is, with no "absolute" agreement on sound.
I get the impression you would fair better with either an "in-ear" or "over-ear" rather than an "on-ear" can..

I have to admit I was not very impressed with these at first. I ended up doing the mods posted by Maxx134 and they have become my favorite portables. Highly recommend the modding.

Y thank you, as after heavily modding my jvc s400, I have realized almost ALL cans have more potential than the manufacturer would "bring out", due to profitability..
Heck there even is mods for the hd800.! :)

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #925 of 1,098
Dec 16, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #926 of 1,098
Haha those white are truly amazing looking!

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #927 of 1,098
My wallet teamed up with my wife be like 
angry_face.gif

angry_face.gif

But my ears teamed up with my eyes be like

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #928 of 1,098
try some superlux HD-330 or 440 or 668's for a fraction of the cost then you might understand !!

I can understand your point if I was let down.
If you still have the es700,, could you pull off the pad on one side and post a pic of the driver? I am curious to know...

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #929 of 1,098
  *snip*

I guess my comment may seem a bit harsh, and I apologize for that. But I find it quite peculiar that you (and BenF) are speaking out so loudly about how crappy the ES700's are since there seems to be a whole bunch of us that really like them (myself REALLY liking them!). It seems like I'll have to get a hold of a pair of Superlux's just to see what all the fuss is about, but even if you like the 668B's and prefer them to the 700's, I don't think it's fair to write the 700's off as "junk". That is IMHO wildly misleading to potential buyers!

Dec 18, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #930 of 1,098
Guys let's lower our testosterone levels as it has to do with "our" ears!
Wonder why some like the hot trebles of an amperior or the super bass of a dennon?
Its the shape of the ear and ear canal and sensory to brain.
The es700 are one of the best cans but for some it just doesn't cut it as they may want a "U" or "V" shaped signature or even expect more of an open soundstage out of a closed can.

Anyway on another note,
The problem with sone other cans like JVC nanotubes is that you can't expect everyone to burn a can for over 200 hours to burn in and hope for best.
We should all look for a can that we like already and go from there..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back