The NEW ATH-ES700..
Nov 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #856 of 1,098
  Right, loving these headphones in many ways, however I'm suffering from the vice-like clamp that they subject on the skull.

Where can one in the UK source ESW9 pads for these, does anyone know?

I'm reverting to my Sennheiser HD212Pro's for extended listening - ack! (Interestingly the cheap Sennheiser's, as well as being more comfortable, seem to have a wider wider soundstage than the ES700's, which feel quite "close").

I've got mine here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/audio-technica-replacement-ear-cushions-pads-HP-ESW9-for-ATH-ESW9-One-set-/281203803264
Or you can ask AT at sales@audio-technica.co.uk , just don't tell them it's for another headphone - they don't like that.

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #857 of 1,098
Audio Technica in the UK make me want to swear......alot

Nov 27, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #861 of 1,098
Yeah it's an option amp wise Ben so how did you find it impacted the sound with the ES700.. Before and after can you give me some idea also what kind of music you listen to as well ? Just trying to work out some cheap but effective options I find it hard to pin point warn amps cheaper asian gear tends not to be very refined although was interested in a Dolphin with built in Dac at one stage but again little concerned what I might get in the end - so do you like the ES700s any idea how they burn in ??? time scales cos got mine yesterday they don't sound gd at the moment. They are very closed and tight thinking or returning them left them burning in with maxwell attached to the computer :frowning2:

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #863 of 1,098
Yeah it's an option amp wise Ben so how did you find it impacted the sound with the ES700.. Before and after can you give me some idea also what kind of music you listen to as well ? Just trying to work out some cheap but effective options I find it hard to pin point warn amps cheaper asian gear tends not to be very refined although was interested in a Dolphin with built in Dac at one stage but again little concerned what I might get in the end - so do you like the ES700s any idea how they burn in ??? time scales cos got mine yesterday they don't sound gd at the moment. They are very closed and tight thinking or returning them left them burning in with maxwell attached to the computer :frowning2:

I prefer a more neutral amp with ES700, e.g. E12 or straight out of ODAC.
E6 has plenty of power for it, and adds some warmth - could be beneficial when used with a smartphone.

Be careful with burn-in - I burned them for 300 hours, yet they sounded bad (kinda like you describe).
Then I put them away for 2-3 weeks, and when I tried them again - they sounded a lot better.
May be I overburned them initially and they needed time to regain some of the strength
bigsmile_face.gif

Anyway, I still prefer the 25$ JVC HA-S400 over them, and the 81$ JVC HA-S680 is even better -

http://www.head-fi.org/t/690493/the-jvc-ha-s680-s400s-and-s500s-big-brother-is-here

If I could return my ATH-ES700, I would
wink_face.gif

How much did you pay? I have a feeling you'll still have enough money left to buy both S680 and a Hifimediy Sabre DAC, if not something even more expensive.

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #864 of 1,098
Warm Amp for the ES700 small portable cheap built in Dac a bonus - anyone got experience with various amps ? Be nice if it opened up the sound stage a bit more as it's very closed at the mo :frowning2:

FIIO E17 is slightly warm, and works well both as DAC and an amp.

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #865 of 1,098
Yeah I owned one of those in the past but gave it to my son they might of improved it further since then - thanks for your advice Ben about the burning in but I may return them to Japan as I don't have 300 hours to burn them in and I am not convinced they are as good as people say they are.....especially there are headphones 4 x cheaper that seem to be better sounding ? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #866 of 1,098
  Yeah I owned one of those in the past but gave it to my son they might of improved it further since then - thanks for your advice Ben about the burning in but I may return them to Japan as I don't have 300 hours to burn them in and I am not convinced they are as good as people say they are.....especially there are headphones 4 x cheaper that seem to be better sounding ? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Go with S680, they are a step up both SQ- and comfort-wise

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #869 of 1,098
If I could return my ATH-ES700, I would :wink_face:

Wanna sell them to me?
Anybody want to sell I am looking for a fully burnt in es700 and I don't care what it looks like because I will be taking it apart for an experiment that I will disclose once I get my hands on one..
:)

Nov 27, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #870 of 1,098
Wanna sell them to me?
Anybody want to sell I am looking for a fully burnt in es700 and I don't care what it looks like because I will be taking it apart for an experiment that I will disclose once I get my hands on one..
smily_headphones1.gif

I've paid over 300$ for ES700 + WS55 pads + ESW9 pads.
Don't think anyone is willing to pay close to this
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back