The NEW ATH-ES700..
Jan 13, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #948 of 1,098
Got my ES700 today and tried it on for 5mins, sound quality is promising, and I'll have to do some comparison tonight.

I get what you guys mean by the comfort (or lack of it) on the stock ES700 pads though... My ears were starting to get irritated from the clamping pressure and pad design after the short 5min trial

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #950 of 1,098
^+1! They also give the ES700 the best overall look! A cheap and comfy alternative that does not alter the sound too much (YMMV) is the WS55 pleather pads (oval ones).

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #952 of 1,098
It doesn't really need an amp but when you do use one it does handle the power without flinching. Listening to one now with a pico power and sounds excellent

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #953 of 1,098
I'm looking into getting a pair of es700's. I was wondering if anybody knows if getting a portable headphone amp(like the fiio e6 or e11) benefits the sound of the es700's.

It doesn't really need an amp but when you do use one it does handle the power without flinching. Listening to one now with a pico power and sounds excellent

As Richsvt stated, these really don't need an amp if your happy with the signature they provide. They do however respond very well to EQ and different types of boosts. I use mine with a Vorzamd duo and with the bass switch on on the vorzamp the ES700's become really fun and engaging for EDM. It also pairs really well with my Arrow 3G for the same reasons.

If you want flexibility and a variety of sounds sigs from your ES700's, go with an amp. If your happy with their signature as is, no need to bother with amp.

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #955 of 1,098
  As Richsvt stated, these really don't need an amp if your happy with the signature they provide. They do however respond very well to EQ and different types of boosts. I use mine with a Vorzamd duo and with the bass switch on on the vorzamp the ES700's become really fun and engaging for EDM. It also pairs really well with my Arrow 3G for the same reasons.

If you want flexibility and a variety of sounds sigs from your ES700's, go with an amp. If your happy with their signature as is, no need to bother with amp.

Would you say the Arrow 3G has better synergy with the ES7 than the pico amp/dac combo? 

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #956 of 1,098

Would you say the Arrow 3G has better synergy with the ES7 than the pico amp/dac combo? 

Never heard the pico combo, sorry! But the 3G for me is a perfect match for the ES700's.

Jan 18, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #957 of 1,098
While I think the pico power is great match, the power is great enough to drive some hard to run phones, it is expensive. I had used the fiio E12 prior and while the power on that was good as well, it sounded a little sterile. The pico has a depth of warmth that I was looking to get. The ES700 can handle the power regardless. I know that purist will look for something more neutral in amplification and some debate how much we perceive versus what is actually being presented but I am happy with what I have, music sounds great and that is what it's all about.

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #958 of 1,098
Wrong. It's all about never being satisfied with what you have and always looking for something new to drain the wallet.

:wink:

Dont encourage us mate, our wallets hate us already lol

Jan 19, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #959 of 1,098
  I still love my ES700. Here is the frequency response of ES700 from goldenears:

since the es700 have replaced all my other headpones (even the 300-500$ range) i cannot believe that curve. i am kind of a sub bass lover and i do not think i would love the es700 as much as i do, if it could not deliver serious sub bass. 

Jan 19, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #960 of 1,098
  since the es700 have replaced all my other headpones (even the 300-500$ range) i cannot believe that curve. i am kind of a sub bass lover and i do not think i would love the es700 as much as i do, if it could not deliver serious sub bass. 

I too am quite surprised by that curve. It is not what I'm hearing! The do have a slight sub-bass roll off, but I still find the sub-bass of the ES700's to be very well extended and present. It is my favorite headphone to date, and I am a basshead!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back