The NEW AKG K550 First impressions. Added pics!
Dec 11, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #16 of 89
Love the look of these AKGs. I hope these are available in the US soon. And I'm curious as to how they compare to the Ultrasone Pro 900s.

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #18 of 89
Come on, people. Buy this phone, review it and post your comments after burn-in.
biggrin.gif
 I need more info if this is a buy, go KRK KNS 8400 instead or stay with Creative Aurvana Live!

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #19 of 89
Still waiting for AKG to release a new flagship. Until then, I'll stick with the K601 and the 501.

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #20 of 89
Are these Closed Back?   Is the sound neutral like on the K271 MK-II?

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #25 of 89
Now the cans have more then 48 hours of burn in..Now for the impression so far.

As i said earlier, quality of the build is supreme! I love the build all over. Pads are good, hinges are rock solid adjustable headband is very good, comfort is very good to..And they don´t get hot! So far so good..or? 

Sound. Well with my little nu-force the sound is still harsh :frowning2: The mids are not as good as with the k242HD and feels rather cold. The highs feels sharp and "overdone" . When playing faster music like metal or grunge rock etc with lots of symbals and stuff like that i feel that they cant keep it under control. And thats a big minus for me. If you play at lower volumes it gets better. 

I like good highs and alot of detail, but all that detail has to stay under control.

What i do like is the bass, its deep and has a neutral tone to it. Compared to my ol trusty 242HD there is more of it. but that does not mean a bad thing since i think its well controlled and it just brings a little more fun for rock/electronic music..( if not over the top ofc )

For blues, singer/songwriter and electronic..I like them. But i don´t feel like it´s worth the money. If so it would be for the nice look, good quality and very very good comfort!

For metal, rock, music with alot going on or with much clean vocals..I rather stick with the 242HD.

I cant really decide here..I am not going to use them for portable use and i don´t feel that this cans is something for me :S

I know my dac/amp that i used in this test has its limitations so it would be nice to put them through for example a pro-ject dac/amp which is noticed considerable improvement in SQ with the 242HD

Portable use then?

Well my Samsung galaxy S with Powe ramp and some .flac tunes, drives the cans better then i first expected. But still they are to bright and chaotic in the upper range. And they are BIG to carry around and you cant not fold them in any way more then twist the cups. Since the cable is not replaceable and very long this can is not very suitable for on the go use if you ask me. Akg says that this can is for portable use. But if it was it would be nice with a split cable or a second cable for portable use.

That´s it for now..I strongly recommend that you listen to these babies for a while before throwing the the cash. The first hour or so was fantastic with them, just the quality made my brain like the sound signature better then what i think now.

I hope i shed some light over the k550..I know people are going to like them allot, but for me and my music..Im not so sure this is the right way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back