The NEW AKG K550 First impressions. Added pics!
Dec 28, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #61 of 89
How does it compares to the K271 MKII?  I'm listening to the K271 as I type this and I really like it's neutral sound through my Apogee Mini DAC.

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #62 of 89

Quote:
How does it compares to the K271 MKII?  I'm listening to the K271 as I type this and I really like it's neutral sound through my Apogee Mini DAC.

It would take some really sensitive and trained ears to hear any difference in signature, detail, or presentation between the K272 (which was just mentioned a few posts back) and the K271. Other than color, the only difference is in cabling. It makes a very slight and subtle difference.

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #63 of 89
I now got a pair of Shure SRH-840 and i find them superior to the K550 in every way to be honest. The only thing that speaks for the K550 is that it has a rather good soundstage, maby better then the shures. But the SQ of the Shures impressed med alot. Clear and rather neutral..Supercontrolled sound, nothing breaks up here. And when it comes to portabilty there isn´t even fight.

The best thing is that the Shures has replaceable cable, and folds...Oh and where i live they are like 160 USD less then the shures..bargain!

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #64 of 89

Quote:
The only thing that speaks for the K550 is that it has a rather good soundstage

The only?
biggrin.gif
SRH940 is super ugly and the build feel very bad imo, all plastic, and not excellent plastic. SRH840 feel much more robust imo.
I like SRH940 and i didn't like the K550 originally, but with long and proper burn-in, i think they change a lot and in the good way, but K550 is definitely very different from SRH940.

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #65 of 89
I hope the 550s grow on you, i don´t think that akg put all this mumbojumbo and money in to this can if they wasnt 100% sure that it will be good product after all.

I have not touched the shure 940 so i don´t know bout their build..I dont give a damn bout the looks tbh :wink:

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #66 of 89
The look no, reliability yes,lol.

Quote:
I hope the 550s grow on you

I hope too,lol, for the moment its much better at 120 hours+.

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #67 of 89

Quote:
The look no, reliability yes,lol.

I hope too,lol, for the moment its much better at 120 hours+.

Would you say that overall the K550's would be a step up or down from the ATH-M50's? My M50's have started wearing down lately, so I'm wondering what a good replacement would be for them. Under $200 overall. For portable/at home use, build quality and durability is needed as well. Should I get these? or just another pair of M50's?

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #68 of 89
Bis repetita, i don't really like the M50 then yes, i prefer K550,lol.

Portable = NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, its not a portable headphone or you must have a very very big head :)

Build = very good, even excellent for the price.

Durability = hum i don't know, they seem robust but if they fall ??

The sound signature between the K550 and the M50 is completely different. K550 has less bass quantity, but better mids, treble and a much bigger soundstage. But if you want a portable headphone, please don't buy the K550,lol.

If you want a portable headphone better than M50, try HFi580 or 780.

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #69 of 89

Quote:
Bis repetita, i don't really like the M50 then yes, i prefer K550,lol.

Portable = NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, its not a portable headphone or you must have a very very big head :)

Build = very good, even excellent for the price.

Durability = hum i don't know, they seem robust but if they fall ??

The sound signature between the K550 and the M50 is completely different. K550 has less bass quantity, but better mids, treble and a much bigger soundstage. But if you want a portable headphone, please don't buy the K550,lol.

If you want a portable headphone better than M50, try HFi580 or 780.

How long is the cable for the AKG K550? And where's the cheapest place to buy it that has shipping to US/Canada?

And is the AKG K550 that horrible when it comes to portability? Why?

If I have to choose between the ATH-PRO700MK2 and the AKG K550 which would it be for my needs?

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #70 of 89
Quote:
How long is the cable for the AKG K550? And where's the cheapest place to buy it that has shipping to US/Canada?

And is the AKG K550 that horrible when it comes to portability? Why?

How long? 3 meter/10 feet.

I don't know, i buy from Europe.

There is absolutely nothing portable with this headphone,lol, its huge (like K701...), heavy, don't hold on the head and even if its an effective headphone, you must have a very good amp with a lot of dynamic to make it correct, probably not with a portable source. (from me, page 4)

Quote:
If I have to choose between the ATH-PRO700MK2 and the AKG K550 which would it be for my needs?

I have never heard pro700MKII and the criticism isn't very good.

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #71 of 89
By "amp with dynamic" I assume you mean at least 70mA of current delivery. That would be...

-Benchmark DAC1
-JDS Labs Objective2
-Practical Devices XM4 (with AD8397)
-Practical Devices XM5 (with BUF634 or AD8397)
-Practical Devices XM6 (with BUF634 or AD8397)
-Leckerton UHA-6 (with LM6171)
-Grado RA1
-and a few others...

Coincidentally, most of those are integrated amps.

Jan 4, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #72 of 89

Quote:
-Benchmark DAC1
-JDS Labs Objective2
-Practical Devices XM4 (with AD8397)
-Practical Devices XM5 (with BUF634 or AD8397)
-Practical Devices XM6 (with BUF634 or AD8397)
-Leckerton UHA-6 (with LM6171)
-Grado RA1
-and a few others...

I don't know them :frowning2:

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #74 of 89

Quote:
These are all in the USA. I don't know what's available in the EU.

Musical fidelity, beyer, lehmann audio, violectric/lake people, SPL... and few US amps.

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #75 of 89
Hi all!!!
My name is Nektarios and i m from Greece!I m new here and forgive me for my mistakes and i hope that it s not wrong that i m writting here...
I need some help,and if u could give me some advices about a "muching" i m thinking to do!!
I have to say i dont have any "hearing" experience on "hi-end" or on good sound!
To buy a very expensive "hi-end" system so to hear my music with quality and generally good sound,is somthing that i can t do for economical reasons and despite that i have a 19 months old baby girl,which mean many hours of quiet,a few hours of personal time and space but many hags and kisses...lol
so i decided to a more personal situation...headphones!!!
i intend to buy the akg k550 and much it with the philips muse sa3mus16s.(wav,flac format, nots so much mp3s any more..)
i hear alittle bit of all kind of music.Mostly i hear jazz music,concerts with tenors,classical,greek music of course,"atmosphere" music and rnb "slow"....
i m looking for a good bass but not to  have a headache from a phat boom neither a high frequences wich they will pass like niddle in my ears!(tss.tss)
i have made an opinion for the akg k 550 only from these that i have read (audio greek magazines,rewies in internet and here in head-fi.org) and as for the source of sound i know that u might think it strange not to have a better system with amplifier for headphones and e.c.t so to drive the k550 but i dont have the space to have them and  i would like to have the opportunity to take them eveywhere i want and hear my music!

thanks a lot my guys and forgive if i tired u!

keep on the good work here we "need" u to become better and hear better!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back