The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Nov 2, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #1,861 of 2,052
@ShenaRingo326 thanks for the cable suggestion. I just tried this and the channel imbalance actually appeared to switch over to the right hand side.

I replicated this with two different cables. So I think the problem might be me in this case.I also just used VOX and turned on the mono output and the sound appears to be fairly balanced.

Unless I get another issue with the sound cutting out I'm not going to send them back now.

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #1,862 of 2,052
@ShenaRingo326 thanks for the cable suggestion. I just tried this and the channel imbalance actually appeared to switch over to the right hand side.

I replicated this with two different cables. So I think the problem might be me in this case.I also just used VOX and turned on the mono output and the sound appears to be fairly balanced.

Unless I get another issue with the sound cutting out I'm not going to send them back now.
I've had 2 AO2's that had channel imbalance and because it kind of keeps changing also with plugging cables in and out that sometimes fixes it, or changing the volume, i've kept them way too long.

Just send them back, you are going to start to become way too sensitive to balance issues that keep coming up and going away again.

I'm now on my 3rd headphonese which i switched out to the Noire.

My reseller was very customer friendly, i came over with the headphones, he tried them, noticed the channel imbalance and gave me a new pair. I still don't know if i caused it or if it was a manufacturing issue? The first one i had also had paint that was chipping off. I do have a mod mic wireless that i clip to the side.

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #1,863 of 2,052
I've had 2 AO2's that had channel imbalance and because it kind of keeps changing also with plugging cables in and out that sometimes fixes it, or changing the volume, i've kept them way too long.

Just send them back, you are going to start to become way too sensitive to balance issues that keep coming up and going away again.

I'm now on my 3rd headphonese which i switched out to the Noire.

My reseller was very customer friendly, i came over with the headphones, he tried them, noticed the channel imbalance and gave me a new pair. I still don't know if i caused it or if it was a manufacturing issue? The first one i had also had paint that was chipping off. I do have a mod mic wireless that i clip to the side.
That's interesting to know. Thanks for this. If I do experience the issue again then I will contact my seller to organise a repair.

Nov 2, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #1,864 of 2,052
The post above reminded me that I should share my experience with the customer service. I got the Aeon 2 Closed in JAN 2020, and in Summer I noticed that the paint was chipping off in some area of the headband. I contacted them and they were more than happy to have them fixed for me after sending them in. I told them that I'd send them a bit later in the year as it was the pandemic and I didn't have anything else to use in the meantime. I sent them early this year and quickly received them back and they've been great.

So A+ for customer service!

This is good to know....I bought mine in the UK before moving back to Norway, and also have the paint flaking off on what is otherwise a nice looking set of cans.

The left side seemed very slightly quieter for me, but I also think I realized that my hearing is worse in my left ear....since it didn't change when trying opposite sides, and was the same with my last pair of completely different headphones.

Nov 7, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #1,865 of 2,052
How much power do they really need? I have Drop Aeon Open, and my G6 can't handle with them, so I decided to leave G6 like a DAC and plug into a good amp. I am looking at budget options like THX One, heresy, etc. But can't find any information how are they really hungry. I am not sure 1.5W is gonna be enough.

Nov 7, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #1,866 of 2,052
I drive my AEON 2 Noires with a Topping A90 and also an A30 Pro. The A30 Pro is more than enough to drive them to ear blinding levels.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #1,867 of 2,052
How much power do they really need? I have Drop Aeon Open, and my G6 can't handle with them, so I decided to leave G6 like a DAC and plug into a good amp. I am looking at budget options like THX One, heresy, etc. But can't find any information how are they really hungry. I am not sure 1.5W is gonna be enough.
I have the aeon open 2. Think they are similar specs. They need a bit of power but they aren’t difficult to drive. They sound awesome on all the amps I’ve tried them on. Any desktop amp at all the price ranges will have more than enough power.

I’ve used mine on the jds element 2, smsl sp200 and the mjolnor 2. They all had way more power than needed. If you are willing to spend around the £200 mark the smsl is a really good pairing in my opinion.

Nov 7, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #1,868 of 2,052
I have the aeon open 2. Think they are similar specs. They need a bit of power but they aren’t difficult to drive. They sound awesome on all the amps I’ve tried them on. Any desktop amp at all the price ranges will have more than enough power.

I’ve used mine on the jds element 2, smsl sp200 and the mjolnor 2. They all had way more power than needed. If you are willing to spend around the £200 mark the smsl is a really good pairing in my opinion.
Thanks! I thought about sp200, but it had done potential issues with channels, don't wanna risk. I also agree our headphones almost the same.

So, JDS element 2 looks really really similar with THX One. Could you say it has enough power, and I don't need more powerful amp for my Aeon ( I am not gonna replace them in the nearest few years )? Because you can compare them with much more powerful amps.

Nov 7, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #1,869 of 2,052

Check out Schiit Audio headphone amps. From $99 and up.
https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-1

Nov 7, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #1,870 of 2,052
Thanks! I thought about sp200, but it had done potential issues with channels, don't wanna risk. I also agree our headphones almost the same.

So, JDS element 2 looks really really similar with THX One. Could you say it has enough power, and I don't need more powerful amp for my Aeon ( I am not gonna replace them in the nearest few years )? Because you can compare them with much more powerful amps.
The element 2 has loads more power than is needed. Most modern desktop amps will have a lot more power than the Aeons need. The element 2 has the benefit of a inbuilt dac so you can use the usb out of your phone.

As suggested above you can go for the cheaper but still very good schiit and topping options. They will also have more than enough power for what you need.

Nov 7, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #1,871 of 2,052

I have the JDS element 2 with the Noire... They are plenty. I have never needed to use anything other than the low gain switch.

Wondering what the difference was between these and the sp200 soundwise if any?

Nov 7, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #1,872 of 2,052
I have the JDS element 2 with the Noire... They are plenty. I have never needed to use anything other than the low gain switch.

Wondering what the difference was between these and the sp200 soundwise if any?
The sp200 and element 2 are very similar. Build quality of the element us much superior but the buttons on the back are a bit annoying.
The mjolnir sounds a lot different and is a step up in most areas.

Nov 7, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #1,873 of 2,052
Check out Schiit Audio headphone amps. From $99 and up.
https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-1
Yeah I wanted to buy heresy, just in Ukraine it's about $60-80 for shipment, almost $200.

So, if 1.5W is enough for my Aeon, I just choose THX One, in my place ($150 frog Drop) it's an optimal way. Pay almost twice for Heresy/Magni... You understand. Not China, the US company, good build quality ( I really wanted to buy SP200 as well, but then changed my mind ).

It's really great that Aeon is not so hungry. I have seen a lots information in articles, forums, like planar headphones demand too much energy, 5W is but a limit :) In one review I saw Aeon needs such much power as you can give it, with each watt it becomes better and better :)

P.S. I also think about Toppings, but have chosen to finish with China. I am ready to pay more is it needs, no problem. Just every year we have new amps, DACs, etc. And I don't see any reasons to pay $350-400 ( in Ukraine, thanks to expensive Schiit shipping ) for Asgard 3 or more for a more expensive amp. If THX One is enough for Aeon I can spend $150 and be happy with it. Even if in 3-5 years I decide to buy other planar headphones and I will need a more powerful amp for them, we are gonna have much more options than we have right now, cheaper, more powerful, other advantages. I am only for one month with Aeon, and I am happy with them for computer games and movies.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #1,874 of 2,052
Yeah I wanted to buy heresy, just in Ukraine it's about $60-80 for shipment, almost $200.

So, if 1.5W is enough for my Aeon, I just choose THX One, in my place ($150 frog Drop) it's an optimal way. Pay almost twice for Heresy/Magni... You understand. Not China, the US company, good build quality ( I really wanted to buy SP200 as well, but then changed my mind ).

It's really great that Aeon is not so hungry. I have seen a lots information in articles, forums, like planar headphones demand too much energy, 5W is but a limit :) In one review I saw Aeon needs such much power as you can give it, with each watt it becomes better and better :)

P.S. I also think about Toppings, but have chosen to finish with China. I am ready to pay more is it needs, no problem. Just every year we have new amps, DACs, etc. And I don't see any reasons to pay $350-400 ( in Ukraine, thanks to expensive Schiit shipping ) for Asgard 3 or more for a more expensive amp. If THX One is enough for Aeon I can spend $150 and be happy with it. Even if in 3-5 years I decide to buy other planar headphones and I will need a more powerful amp for them, we are gonna have much more options than we have right now, cheaper, more powerful, other advantages. I am only for one month with Aeon, and I am happy with them for computer games and movies.

You will be surprised how well the Aeon 2's are powered even from a smartphone....assuming its a genre that plays well (not super bass heavy).

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #1,875 of 2,052
Even if in 3-5 years I decide to buy other planar headphones and I will need a more powerful amp for them, we are gonna have much more options than we have right now, cheaper, more powerful, other advantages. I am only for one month with Aeon, and I am happy with them for computer games and movies.

This amp will probably do you fine for most headphones tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back