The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Sep 29, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #1,831 of 2,052
Got the AEON 2 Noire. I kinda have mixed feelings. Without EQ they sound good enough but bass is not punchy like with the HD660S and Sundaras. After EQ, they got a bit better but the real change was after EQ, boosting bass a couple of dB and putting the black felt filter on. That was it. But still, I don't get why the HD660s has more bass compared to the Noire and the Noire measured better bellow 100Hz. I'm guessing because they are closed back? I get the same lack of bass feeling from the K371, which are closed back as well. Maybe the Noire just need burn in? So lets see how they change after 150 hours or so.

Sep 29, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #1,832 of 2,052
CB is CB. That’s why A2C (noire) makes for such a good value. If you want OB hp, there are better choices out there in my opinion.

Sep 29, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #1,833 of 2,052
CB is CB. That’s why A2C (noire) makes for such a good value. If you want OB hp, there are better choices out there in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, the bass is just right, not overwhelming. But the details are just out of this world. Neither the Sundaras, nor the HD660s have the detail that the Noire has. I'm keeping them for sure. Not to mention how comfortable these cans are. BTW, is OK to tighten the screws on the headband sliders? I feel they are a bit loose and the leather headband keeps moving up and down. Also, I wear glasses so if I take my glasses off, bass comes alive :)

Sep 29, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #1,834 of 2,052
Don't get me wrong, the bass is just right, not overwhelming. But the details are just out of this world. Neither the Sundaras, nor the HD660s have the detail that the Noire has. I'm keeping them for sure. Not to mention how comfortable these cans are. BTW, is OK to tighten the screws on the headband sliders? I feel they are a bit loose and the leather headband keeps moving up and down. Also, I wear glasses so if I take my glasses off, bass comes alive :)
I've been wondering bout the sliders myself… any tips for tightening them?

Absolutely remove your glasses when listening. Closed back headphones need a complete seal to get the best bass response.
This does make me wonder… why are folks wearing glasses when listening to music anyways? I wear glasses. Even when I'm using IEMs I take my glasses off. I don't know why, but it just doesn't feel right wearing glasses and headphones/earphones at the same time, IMO.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #1,835 of 2,052

Absolutely remove your glasses when listening. Closed back headphones need a complete seal to get the best bass response.
This does make me wonder… why are folks wearing glasses when listening to music anyways? I wear glasses, even when I'm using IEMs I take my glasses off. I don't know why, but it just doesn't feel right wearing glasses and headphones/earphones at the same time IMO.
Just tried tightening the inside headband screws and that did the trick with the sliders :wink:

Sep 29, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #1,836 of 2,052
I’m just trying to point out that A2C (or Noire) are in fact a closed back design and comparisons that some have made to OB designs are a bit reaching. It’s like all those comparisons to flagship OB hps in “Stealth DCA” thread.
With that being said, when it comes to CB design, in this price range, there’s really not much that can easily outperform DCA Aeons for sound quality and comfort. They’re not perfect tho. Nothing is.

Sep 29, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #1,837 of 2,052

This does make me wonder… why are folks wearing glasses when listening to music anyways? I wear glasses. Even when I'm using IEMs I take my glasses off. I don't know why, but it just doesn't feel right wearing glasses and headphones/earphones at the same time, IMO.
I am assuming you were asking a serious question (apologies if some sarcasm was lost on me).

I wear glasses because I need them to see...often the only time I really use my Noires are when I am working (very comfortable even with glasses). IEMs or TWS usually when I am out and about (still need to see for obvious reasons). I work 10-14 hours per day and also have a young kid and my schedule often does not even allow for a proper lunch so, as much as I would love to just sit and enjoy my music, it will be many years before I have that luxury again. Doesnt mean I cant enjoy music today while I am working or running errands though. Only time I can listen to music without glasses, unfortunately, is when I am having trouble falling asleep and, in that situation, I am limited to Aonic 50s because I have a toddler who likes to crawl into our bed at night by literally climbing over my face so I stopped using wired anything at night.

Given how comfortable these are, I am sure I am not alone in using these while working. Wouldnt be the first time I was wrong though.

Havent had any issues with the sliders so far. Might be because I rarely adjust them or put them away. Is this something that developed over time?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #1,838 of 2,052
I am assuming you were asking a serious question (apologies if some sarcasm was lost on me).

I wear glasses because I need them to see...often the only time I really use my Noires are when I am working (very comfortable even with glasses). IEMs or TWS usually when I am out and about (still need to see for obvious reasons). I work 10-14 hours per day and also have a young kid and my schedule often does not even allow for a proper lunch so, as much as I would love to just sit and enjoy my music, it will be many years before I have that luxury again. Doesnt mean I cant enjoy music today while I am working or running errands though. Only time I can listen to music without glasses, unfortunately, is when I am having trouble falling asleep and, in that situation, I am limited to Aonic 50s because I have a toddler who likes to crawl into our bed at night by literally climbing over my face so I stopped using wired anything at night.

Given how comfortable these are, I am sure I am not alone in using these while working. Wouldnt be the first time I was wrong though.

Havent had any issues with the sliders so far. Might be because I rarely adjust them or put them away. Is this something that developed over time?
No sarcasm intended. Now that I'm getting old and decrepit I find that if I wear my glasses for anything other than distance it feels like my eyeballs are being pulled from my head. That rules out computer use or reading - heck I even find myself taking my glasses off when eating. If I need to see at a distance, I probably should be more focused on whatever else I'm doing than listening to music.

Sep 29, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #1,839 of 2,052
WOW.. I have been listening for more than 4 hours with the Noire's and all I can say is that these are by far the best closed back headphones I have ever listened to. I was able to get the same amount of bass that I'm getting from the HD600s and Sundaras but the details, OMG, the details are just mind blowing. They sound so clean and accurate that sometimes scare me LOL. Took me some time to find the right EQ after fine tuning Oratory1990 settings for AEON 2 Noire, though. Paired with the MA X-SABRE 3 feeding the Topping A30Pro is just INCREDIBLE!! Can't pass 1 o'clock on the A30Pro volume, otherwise my ears would start bleeding :) Also tried the Qudelix-5K and WOW, that little thing is able to drive the Noire's using SE output with authority and ZERO distortion. I have a Hart Audio cable for the Noire's and the 2.5mm balanced adapter on the way so I can use the balanced out on the 5K.

Thanks guys for all the tips and recommendations :)

Sep 30, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #1,840 of 2,052
Thank for the advice. Currently, I have a Magni/Modi 3, and while it gets loud enough, it just seems not to cut it. Seems like dynamics are lacking. I have an RME, that I now wish I did not sell. lol

Sep 30, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #1,841 of 2,052
Sep 30, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #1,842 of 2,052
My final three candidates. All three are winners and all three are keepers :wink:

IMG_8399.jpeg

Sep 30, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #1,843 of 2,052
Sep 30, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #1,844 of 2,052
Got the AEON 2 Noire. I kinda have mixed feelings. Without EQ they sound good enough but bass is not punchy like with the HD660S and Sundaras. After EQ, they got a bit better but the real change was after EQ, boosting bass a couple of dB and putting the black felt filter on. That was it. But still, I don't get why the HD660s has more bass compared to the Noire and the Noire measured better bellow 100Hz. I'm guessing because they are closed back? I get the same lack of bass feeling from the K371, which are closed back as well. Maybe the Noire just need burn in? So lets see how they change after 150 hours or so.
Try to increase seal or reduce distance of driver to your ear by pushing on the earcups a bit while they're on your head. Doing that for myself (and my shoulder-length hair) improved sense of dynamic range, sense of kick, and reduced treble harshness. The plushness of the earpads ensures that the effect of the pad compression is stable. I got this tip from an audio engineer friend. With this knowledge, I don't need to EQ or use tuning filters, though that's to my preferences.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #1,845 of 2,052
Try to increase seal or reduce distance of driver to your ear by pushing on the earcups a bit while they're on your head. Doing that for myself (and my shoulder-length hair) improved sense of dynamic range, sense of kick, and reduced treble harshness. The plushness of the earpads ensures that the effect of the pad compression is stable. I got this tip from an audio engineer friend. With this knowledge, I don't need to EQ or use tuning filters, though that's to my preferences.
As a sound engineer myself I know that trick too :wink: but it’s not necessary. I just got the sound I wanted and tuning filters are out as well. These are by far the best sounding CB headphones I have ever listened to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back