The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Sep 27, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #1,821 of 2,052
I have a pair of Noire on the way and looking for a recommendation for portable amp with PEQ that can drive the Noire, Sundaras and HD660S. Most likely the Noire’s are the ones I’ll be taking while traveling. Just need a headphone amp/DAC that works with my iPhone 12 Pro. If the amp has at least 10 bands PEQ, that would be awesome!! Music sources are TIDAL and Qobuz.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #1,822 of 2,052
I have a pair of Noire on the way and looking for a recommendation for portable amp with PEQ that can drive the Noire, Sundaras and HD660S. Most likely the Noire’s are the ones I’ll be taking while traveling. Just need a headphone amp/DAC that works with my iPhone 12 Pro. If the amp has at least 10 bands PEQ, that would be awesome!! Music sources are TIDAL and Qobuz.
Have you looked at the Qudelix 5k? Doesn't cost a lot and should be ok for portable use via balanced output as long as you don't listen at very high volume. Worked fine for me when I, out of curiosity, tried it with my Noire, although that is not how I typically use it. I usually use the 5K with IEMs when I travel and love the convenience of bluetooth with it. However, there are plenty of people on the internet who say they use the Qudelix 5K to drive their Aeon if you do a search. 5K can EQ over LDAC and has auto EQ presets which are really convenient. Also has the 10 band PEQ you are looking for (presets stored on device) and a fantastic app.

Sep 29, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #1,823 of 2,052

DAN CLARK AUDIO AEON 2 OPEN , how much power do they need?​

Sep 29, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #1,824 of 2,052

DAN CLARK AUDIO AEON 2 OPEN , how much power do they need?​

You don't need a ton of power, but you do need something that puts out a good bit of current. Something with a robust power supply is usually key. For example the Little Dot 1+ does not put out the most power from a wpc perspective, but it has a good built-in power supply and drives the Aeon with authority. A good rule of thumb is to stay away from amps that use wal-worts and look for amps with a good internal power supply with a beefy power transformer for the Aeons.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #1,825 of 2,052
You don't need a ton of power, but you do need something that puts out a good bit of current. Something with a robust power supply is usually key. For example the Little Dot 1+ does not put out the most power from a wpc perspective, but it has a good built-in power supply and drives the Aeon with authority. A good rule of thumb is to stay away from amps that use wal-worts and look for amps with a good internal power supply with a beefy power transformer for the Aeons.
I'm driving my A2C quite well with a Vali2, wall wart notwithstanding

Sep 29, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #1,826 of 2,052
I am driving my Noire with a RME ADI-2 DAC FS using an iPower X, which is just a fancy looking wall wart in my opinion (which I like btw as it reduces clutter). Works great. Rarely go above -55 volume in lo-power mode single-ended with EQ on.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #1,827 of 2,052
I have a Magni 2 Uber also but it does not drive the Aeon anywhere near as well as my Little Dot 1+ or Lyr 2. The Magni drives it and sounds good, but when you compare it to being by driven with the LD or Lyr, there is a large difference.

One of the main complaints that some people have with the Aeons is lack of dynamics. To get the dynamics out of the Aeon that they are capable of, they need an amp with good current and that's usually a direct result of a good power supply. Not trying to be contrary, just my observations from direct comparisons.

Sep 29, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #1,828 of 2,052
I'm not saying that the Aeons can't be driven with amps with wal-worts. Don't get me wrong. My Magni and Liquid Spark both will drive the Aeons to very loud levels and they sound great. In direct comparisons to my other amps with beefier power supplies however, they lack the dynamics and slam. It's very noticeable. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but in general that has been my observation. Ymmv.

Sep 29, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #1,829 of 2,052
I'm not saying that the Aeons can't be driven with amps with wal-worts. Don't get me wrong. My Magni and Liquid Spark both will drive the Aeons to very loud levels and they sound great. In direct comparisons to my other amps with beefier power supplies however, they lack the dynamics and slam. It's very noticeable. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but in general that has been my observation. Ymmv.
It's all good, we're here to share our experiences. Granted the Vali2 wall wart is a LPS that can supply a decent amount of current. Like you mentioned the ability to supply adequate current to the Aeons is the key. That's why OTL will usually fall flat.
Sadly, most manf. don't seem to state how much current the amp is capable of - typically just wattage

Sep 29, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #1,830 of 2,052
Thanks and agreed. It certainly would help that's for sure (manufacturers sharing current specs of amps). Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back