The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Oct 14, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #1,846 of 2,052
hi folks

Just got a pair of Aeon Closed (gen 1) and I was wondering if anyone know about adapters that would allow me to use my balanced cable for Audeze/AMF.
These cans are really hungry for power, I think they would benefit from the extra volume from a XLR connection. Any advice ?
Moreover, do you know what material is used for the Gen 1 dummer cable, just in case I have to for a new one?

thanks !

Oct 14, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #1,847 of 2,052
I just re-terminated the stock DUMMER cable, and made an xlr to trs adapter from the original trs end.

Custom cable manufacturers usually build adapters too. Or a new cable...
11603358.jpg

11603360.jpg

11603359.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #1,848 of 2,052
I'm using Hart Audio cables with all my headphones, including DCA AEON 2 Noire. They are affordable and their connectors system is the smartest headphones connection system I have ever found for headphones.

IMG_8551.jpeg

IMG_8356.jpeg

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #1,849 of 2,052
I'm using Hart Audio cables with all my headphones, including DCA AEON 2 Noire. They are affordable and their connectors system is the smartest headphones connection system I have ever found for headphones.

IMG_8551.jpeg

IMG_8356.jpeg
Same. I really like the Hart system. I use their custom shop and usually have my cables cut to around 4 ft in length including the interconnect. I also have the MMCX version for IEMs. Great quality, very comfortable, lightweight and versatile. Also not very expensive for custom cables.

Attachments

• 20211014_111556_HDR.jpg
    20211014_111556_HDR.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Oct 14, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #1,850 of 2,052

IMG_8551.jpeg

IMG_8356.jpeg
That is very clever….is that a US company?

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #1,851 of 2,052
Oct 14, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #1,852 of 2,052
Oct 26, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #1,853 of 2,052
I can’t believe I purchased noire while looking for something my dx300 could drive. I’ve just been enamored with the aeons from afRT to af2c.

I’m just hoping the degradation from driving from a dap doesn’t make me wish I went with Celestee.

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #1,855 of 2,052
Degradation from being driven by a DAP isn't possible, AFAIK. Unless something went terribly wrong and it played full volume with high distortion for a good long while.

maybe it’s a poor choice of words. Trying to explain the difference between something floppy and loose or taut

Like in one word how would you explain a Diana phi being driven from an apple dongle vs dx300

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #1,856 of 2,052
Has anyone had issues with quality control issues with Aeon 2?
I’ve had the open now for just under a year. I really like the sound and the folding head band but I’ve had the following issues (they arrived sealed from official seller in the UK)

• They arrived with one of the headband screws missing. I later found it in the case, so had to find a suitable screwdriver online. Not a huge issue after the initial panic
  • The paint very quickly started to flake off the head band. Dan Clark later confirmed that this was a known issue with one batch that hadn’t been cleaned properly. There was an offer to return for fixing but I’m in the UK so though probably not worth it. Doesn’t affect sound
  • The main issue. The left cup has often felt quieter. I’ve swapped between all the amps I own and multiple different cables. Same issue with all but thought I was imagining it as it was slight. Last week the left cup completely cut out for a few seconds and then came back. Today it cut out again for about 10 seconds then when I turned up the volume it ‘clicked’ and then came on to what sounded like full volume. They sounded better than I’ve ever heard them. Then this afternoon they are back to sounding weak on the left hand side. I got my wife to check (wish I’d done this sooner) she has no interest in audio equipment but quickly confirmed the left cup was definitely weaker.
Has anyone ever had this issue with a planar? Is this something that could be fixable by myself? If not has anyone had any experience in the UK of getting Dan Clark headphones repaired?

Nov 1, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #1,858 of 2,052
The post above reminded me that I should share my experience with the customer service. I got the Aeon 2 Closed in JAN 2020, and in Summer I noticed that the paint was chipping off in some area of the headband. I contacted them and they were more than happy to have them fixed for me after sending them in. I told them that I'd send them a bit later in the year as it was the pandemic and I didn't have anything else to use in the meantime. I sent them early this year and quickly received them back and they've been great.

So A+ for customer service!

Nov 1, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #1,859 of 2,052
Has anyone had issues with quality control issues with Aeon 2?
I’ve had the open now for just under a year. I really like the sound and the folding head band but I’ve had the following issues (they arrived sealed from official seller in the UK)

• They arrived with one of the headband screws missing. I later found it in the case, so had to find a suitable screwdriver online. Not a huge issue after the initial panic
  • The paint very quickly started to flake off the head band. Dan Clark later confirmed that this was a known issue with one batch that hadn’t been cleaned properly. There was an offer to return for fixing but I’m in the UK so though probably not worth it. Doesn’t affect sound
  • The main issue. The left cup has often felt quieter. I’ve swapped between all the amps I own and multiple different cables. Same issue with all but thought I was imagining it as it was slight. Last week the left cup completely cut out for a few seconds and then came back. Today it cut out again for about 10 seconds then when I turned up the volume it ‘clicked’ and then came on to what sounded like full volume. They sounded better than I’ve ever heard them. Then this afternoon they are back to sounding weak on the left hand side. I got my wife to check (wish I’d done this sooner) she has no interest in audio equipment but quickly confirmed the left cup was definitely weaker.
Has anyone ever had this issue with a planar? Is this something that could be fixable by myself? If not has anyone had any experience in the UK of getting Dan Clark headphones repaired?

my A2O had the same left driver with lower volume issue and for me it's the stock cable, because when i swap the L/R cables the right driver becomes lower in volume

unplugging and plugging in the L cable occasionally fixes it.. i've ordered a set of Hart audio cables as I wanted a shorter run when I use it with my dap and mojo so hopefully that fixes the issue

Nov 2, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #1,860 of 2,052
my A2O had the same left driver with lower volume issue and for me it's the stock cable, because when i swap the L/R cables the right driver becomes lower in volume

unplugging and plugging in the L cable occasionally fixes it.. i've ordered a set of Hart audio cables as I wanted a shorter run when I use it with my dap and mojo so hopefully that fixes the issue
I’ve used three different cables with the same issue, I will try to swap them over though before I send them back and see what happens though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back