The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Mar 12, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #1,726 of 2,052
Interested, another option would be to just get the dummer XLR cable, use my adapter for now, then get it reterminated later. my home amp is 1/4" so I would want that cable.
I highly recommend Hart Audio Cables for their unique flexibility. Cheap (monetarily, not quality), modular cables which makes them great for such a flexible can. Since I use mine with a variety of portable and desktop sources, I can't think of a better match for my use.

Mar 12, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #1,727 of 2,052
I want to try the Noire. might be nice for my slow travel coming up soon.

Where can I get a reasonable 4.4 cable made for these? the dummy cable is fine, they do not make in 4.4 termination.
This guy on Etsy is great - he made me an XLR cable for my A2O before it was a standard offering, and now you can choose a 4.4mm on his page.
AudiophileNinja

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #1,728 of 2,052
I highly recommend Hart Audio Cables for their unique flexibility. Cheap (monetarily, not quality), modular cables which makes them great for such a flexible can. Since I use mine with a variety of portable and desktop sources, I can't think of a better match for my use.

Same. I finally got mine from Hart Audio and I am really happy with them. Very flexible and I had mine cut to a shorter 45" length (+ interconnect length) to reduce clutter on my desk. Was very reasonably priced for a custom cable, interconnects and case.

Didn't get the 4.4mm because I don't have any amps with that but very happy. Posted a picture in the A2C thread here in case anyone is interested in third party cables:

Post in thread 'Aeon 2 closed Impressions and Discussion' https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aeon-2-closed-impressions-and-discussion.918311/post-16234984

Mar 16, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #1,729 of 2,052
How do these compare is technical capabilities to the Ananda and/or the LCD2f? For detail retrieval, resolution, that sort of thing? I am not so concerned with tonality as I software EQ, only reason the LCD2f sounded right. I want to consider these or the Aeon RT as they are lighter and wont be as uncomfortable as the Audeze and Ananda were to me. Just hoping they are as technically capable.

Mar 17, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #1,730 of 2,052
The Verge's science YouTube channel posted a video today about Nitinol, the metal used on the Aeon 2. Thought y'all might enjoy it:

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #1,731 of 2,052
First time that I've seen this company (awesome!), but I actually standardized years ago on the same idea, the 4-pin mini-XLR. I've made a few, and had a few more made custom for me. I wrote up the basic design here: https://cameronpurdy.blogspot.com/2019/08/there-are-number-of-cables-used-for.html

The reason I liked the mini-XLR so much was a custom mod by dragon (whatever that company is ... Moon or something?) that was done on my P1000 Grados. Love it.

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #1,732 of 2,052
First time that I've seen this company (awesome!), but I actually standardized years ago on the same idea, the 4-pin mini-XLR. I've made a few, and had a few more made custom for me. I wrote up the basic design here: https://cameronpurdy.blogspot.com/2019/08/there-are-number-of-cables-used-for.html

The reason I liked the mini-XLR so much was a custom mod by dragon (whatever that company is ... Moon or something?) that was done on my P1000 Grados. Love it.
Very cool! Yeah, it's a great design and I don't ever want to go back no matter the type of headphone. :smile_phones:

And yeah, Moon Audio is who you're thinking of and they're even based in my town. But they don't have a store front (that I'm aware of) so I've only ever spoken to them at a show in NYC. haha

Apr 16, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #1,733 of 2,052
Our new website will be online around 12 pacific, danclarkaudio.com.

AEON 2 Closed starts shipping TODAY (yes, not in 2-3 months!!!!!).

Headphones are en route to Germany and China, with more to international distributors next week. Several US retailers like Listen Up! will have product on hand starting today. We will be shipping limited quantities ordered from www.dcaudio.com starting this afternoon.

AEON 2 Open will ship within two weeks.

If you'd like to see a full review, Headphone.guru just posted here.
Hi Dan. I am a huge fan of the design of the Aeon 2 and I might get a pair in the future. What amps do you recommend for it under 400 dollars?

Apr 16, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #1,734 of 2,052
Hi Dan. I am a huge fan of the design of the Aeon 2 and I might get a pair in the future. What amps do you recommend for it under 400 dollars?
Been using the SMSL SP200 and they pair great together.

Apr 16, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #1,738 of 2,052
Elex is more dynamical than the Aeon 2.
I have the Elex and the Aeon 2 Closed. I haven’t heard the open, but if you think you want portability and may be in a noisy environment, definitely the A2C. The Elex is a dynamic driver and can sound like it’s moving more air, but you can hit the driver limit sometimes surprisingly easily. The A2C sounds blacker and is a great presentation on most genres, and I just recently really enjoyed listening to Milo Goes to College on them.

Edit: meant to reply to @eMotive11

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #1,739 of 2,052
I have the Elex and the Aeon 2 Closed. I haven’t heard the open, but if you think you want portability and may be in a noisy environment, definitely the A2C. The Elex is a dynamic driver and can sound like it’s moving more air, but you can hit the driver limit sometimes surprisingly easily. The A2C sounds blacker and is a great presentation on most genres, and I just recently really enjoyed listening to Milo Goes to College on them.

Edit: meant to reply to @eMotive11
Wonderful reply, thank you! I may end up picking up both and having one be "for the wife" and borrow them occasionally! Fortunately 99% of the use will be at home with not worry about open headphones or portability, but hopefully the portability may be more useful in the coming months as the world inches towards a bit more normalcy. I have a chord mojo gathering dust that would be wonderful to use portable again!

Do you have any preference or experience between the two when it comes to movies, or just music?

Apr 16, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #1,740 of 2,052
Do you have any preference or experience between the two when it comes to movies, or just music?
I don't have any experience watching movies with the Elex and no longer have my pair (left driver died, got a refund instead of replacement), but have watched movies with the A2C and can certainly say it's well up to the task. I personally found the comfort better and the closed nature was great for quieter scenes (usually watching on a tablet in a hotel), but they can run a bit warm with such a long session. Not really a complaint here, but a difference worth noting between these two options. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either unless there's any ambient noise... in which case the choice is clear. 🙂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back