The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Dec 1, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #526 of 2,052
I wouldn't count on Zeos. He didn't like the original Aeons. Besides, he talks a lot but says very little of import in his "reviews".

I find this to be the exact opposite. Zeos just tells it as it is, from his perspective. 98% of "reviews" out there sound like they were written by AI, an algorithm of buzzwords. They are all biased for the most part, and offer nothing to the average consumer. You have people who plopped down a grand for something, they aren't going to want to say the thing is barely audibly distinguishable from its prior iteration. And you have others who make their living off this stuff. We see it in every headphone thread.

I don't trust anyone, but find Zeos reviews to be pretty spot on most of the time based on my testing and opinions. And for the record he really like the original AFC.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #527 of 2,052
You will get bass roll off, how much depends on how poor the seal is. When I wear glasses to read I just tuck the arms into the top of the pads instead of resting on my ear, that keeps the seal and the lens angle is still good for reading.
Thank you for the reply.

By the way, is there a large difference in sound isolation between the A2O and A2C?

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #530 of 2,052
Anyone done a side by side comparison of the Audeze LCD-2(f) vs the Aeon 2 yet? I was captivated by the Ether 2 high frequency purity at CAF but its definitely not a "romantic" sound like
the Audeze headphones midrange richness.

Dec 4, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #535 of 2,052
Is anybody ever going to post a review of the Aeon 2 Open?

I would also like to know this. I'm really curious about the Aeon 2 Open.

I stopped by The Source AV today and listened to the A2C and the A2O and was pretty impressed by what I heard.

To be honest, I've been mostly unhappy with the voicing of Dan's past headphones. The most recent example being the Ether 2. It just sounds overly soft and lacking in detail to my ears (even with the perforated pads).

But both of the Aeon 2's sounded like a big step in the right direction to me, with the A2O being the stand-out performer. FYI, I listened to them both without using any of the tuning inserts.

While the A2C is a very good sounding headphone and sounds very similar to the A2O, it still has a little bit of the 'cupped hands' coloration that most closed-back headphones are known to suffer from. While it is relatively minor in level (and a big improvement over the AFC), it was noticable when directly compared to the A2O, but I think this is an acceptable trade-off if you need the isolation that the A2C gives you. But if you don't, then the A2O would be the better choice because I think it is a significantly better sounding headphone overall.

The A2O just nails it in just about every parameter of it's voicing. First off, the A2O is capable of delivering real, honest-to-God low bass power without distorting. This was quite surprising (and impressive!) to me because of the relatively small size of it's drivers. It definitely needs some current to do this, though. I know this because when I started listening using a Questyle DAC/amp, the low sub-bass on one of my test tracks (DJ Shadow - Three Ralphs) caused the amp to intermittently go into its protection mode, so I switched to a Chord Qutest-HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 combo and had no such issues. The bass was clean, solid and deep. The vocal range was just as impressive. It had just the right amount of presence and clarity without going too far and becoming overhyped and fatiguing. The treble region was the only area where I wish there was a little more refinement, but it was just right in level. And as a nice bonus, both of the Aeon 2's are very light and comfortable.

My biggest criticism of them has nothing to do with their sound. It’s with the color of their ear cups! Come on Dan, while I think classic black might be a little boring, they would look sooooo much better in a silver or a dark grey, or even the dark blue of the original Aeon. Just sayin”. :sunglasses:

One interesting thing I noticed was that the pads on the A2O had perforations on the inside area (just like the Ether 2 perforated pads), but the A2C pads were solid. I'd be curious to hear how the A2C would sound with the perforated pads. :thinking:

I came away genuinely impressed with both headphones, but it was the A2O that really stole the show for me. The A2O gets my highest recommendation! :L3000:

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #537 of 2,052
@mrspeakers

How good is the A2C + iBasso DX220 w/ AMP8 pairing ? The pairing costs more than $2000, which is very expensive, but if it is worth why not ? :)

I really like it. It's not quite as nice as my Sony WM-1Z sonically but it has more power, is ~1/3 the price and supports WiFI so Tidal and Qobuz are available for HQ streaming. It uses the new Sabre DACs which are mile better to my ear than the prior generation; they can impart a little brightness or hardness to vocals and guitars when compared to a Hugo 2, which defines "fluidity" for mobile. That comment is really mean as high praise given the price difference and how much I like the Hugo 2. And the 4.4mm connector id definitely my favorite for mobile, as it's actually strong and won't break off like the 2.5mm. Because of its size and features it gets >60% of my use for mobile.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 4, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #538 of 2,052
@mrspeakers

How good is the A2C + iBasso DX220 w/ AMP8 pairing ? The pairing costs more than $2000, which is very expensive, but if it is worth why not ? :)
I still can't tell. I have the DX200 + Amp 8 and the A2C is on its way. the A1C I also own improves considerably with Amp8 (Amp 9 is not enough) atlhough still a bit thin in the bass

Dec 4, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #539 of 2,052
I am using the Dx220 + AMP8EX My own silver balanced cable to A2C every day now. It sounds Brilliant to my ears. The amp8 can drive them. The stock amp1Mk2 is also okay balanced. The amp9 with latest firmware can just about drive them but the tubiness is not relay there.

Im also using the mojo to drive them in the office and starting to have more respect for the mojo now.

IMHO the DX220 + Amp8EX + A2C well worth the cash.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #540 of 2,052
I am using the Dx220 + AMP8EX My own silver balanced cable to A2C every day now. It sounds Brilliant to my ears. The amp8 can drive them. The stock amp1Mk2 is also okay balanced. The amp9 with latest firmware can just about drive them but the tubiness is not relay there.

Im also using the mojo to drive them in the office and starting to have more respect for the mojo now.

IMHO the DX220 + Amp8EX + A2C well worth the cash.

I don't know about the EX version. Is regular AMP8 okay ? I will opt-in for the 4.4 mm VIVO cable when buying A2C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back