The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Apr 18, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #1,160 of 2,052
can we see a picture how it looks like?

It’s just starting to flake off. I haven’t abused these, other than setting them down on a table (gently). I think I’ve seen others that were worse.

Attachments

• F829C01E-23DC-44EC-A467-9AF7B08AB7C0.jpeg
    F829C01E-23DC-44EC-A467-9AF7B08AB7C0.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 0
Apr 18, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #1,161 of 2,052
It’s just starting to flake off. I haven’t abused these, other than setting them down on a table (gently). I think I’ve seen others that were worse.
Hey same place for me Ive only had mine 2 weeks mostly in the case. Dont get me wrong, these sound amaze w/ my idsd micro bl

Attachments

• IMG_5171.JPG
    IMG_5171.JPG
    338.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0320.JPG
    IMG_0320.JPG
    500.7 KB · Views: 0
Apr 18, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #1,162 of 2,052
can we see a picture how it looks like?
@mrspeakers has explained about this before. Have you sent an email about it? Although Dan watches this thread, it's not a substitute for directly contacting the company for support.

Knock on wood, mine doesn't seem to have the paint issue, at least not yet.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #1,163 of 2,052
I have seen and read several times that the black colour on the temples comes off. But only on the Aeon2.
I'm afraid this is a quality defect?!
That shouldn't be.

Absolutely it shouldn't be, we had an adhesion issue with the paint on one batch late last year. We had never done a "scatch test" for paint finish before because in almost 8 years we'd never had a problem like this. Turns out those parts hadn't been properly cleaned before finishing. We now test for finish adhesion as part of our QA, it hasn't recurred happily.

If anyone has an issue we'll certainly take care of this, just contact info@danclarkaudio.com. We are still processing repairs and handling support.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 18, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #1,164 of 2,052
Absolutely it shouldn't be, we had an adhesion issue with the paint on one batch late last year. We had never done a "scatch test" for paint finish before because in almost 8 years we'd never had a problem like this. Turns out those parts hadn't been properly cleaned before finishing. We now test for finish adhesion as part of our QA, it hasn't recurred happily.

If anyone has an issue we'll certainly take care of this, just contact info@danclarkaudio.com. We are still processing repairs and handling support.

This is an example of why I am Dan's customer.

Apr 19, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #1,166 of 2,052
For what it's worth, I also have my paint chipping off, especially on the left arm in multiple spots, and my pair sits on a leather recliner with the arms facing up, thus not touching anything. Makes me think it has come off by occasional minor finger oil contact unless it is just falling off on its own. This started sometime in early March, about a couple weeks after getting my pair.

My pair came with a certificate date of February 5th.

The paint issue is trivial to me though as I have no intention of ever selling these cans. Nice to see DCA will easily take care of it for anyone that does care about it.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #1,167 of 2,052
@mrspeakers are the hex heads on the mounts holding the nitinol wire ends metric or SAE (English) ?

have been using them for about 2 wks now, but the pressure on the pads seems a bit higher than I would like, and another poster was able to adjust the position of the nitinol wires in the holders a bit to reduce the clamping force.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #1,168 of 2,052
@mrspeakers are the hex heads on the mounts holding the nitinol wire ends metric or SAE (English) ?

have been using them for about 2 wks now, but the pressure on the pads seems a bit higher than I would like, and another poster was able to adjust the position of the nitinol wires in the holders a bit to reduce the clamping force.

The hex bolts are secured with a thread-adhesive to avoid backing out. If you break the thread it may not stay stable, though you can do it. That will void warranty on the headband, so you know because it's obvious to us if that has been tampered with. It won't ruin your headphone, but be advised.

In case you haven't done I'd suggest first you try these methods to modify clamp:

1) Keep as little weight on the headband as possible and let the headphone sit as loose as you can when you adjust the strap. Most headphones you have to tighten to get fit, ours looser is often better and the headphone should still stay put for normal use.
2) Try rotating where the strap rests on your head, sometimes moving the strap far forward is more comfortable, sometimes rotating it a bit further back will work. The ear pads give great flexibility for rotation.

If you want to adjust the band after that it's up to you and it's a 0.05" hex wrench.

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 27, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #1,169 of 2,052
The hex bolts are secured with a thread-adhesive to avoid backing out. If you break the thread it may not stay stable, though you can do it. That will void warranty on the headband, so you know because it's obvious to us if that has been tampered with. It won't ruin your headphone, but be advised.

In case you haven't done I'd suggest first you try these methods to modify clamp:

1) Keep as little weight on the headband as possible and let the headphone sit as loose as you can when you adjust the strap. Most headphones you have to tighten to get fit, ours looser is often better and the headphone should still stay put for normal use.
2) Try rotating where the strap rests on your head, sometimes moving the strap far forward is more comfortable, sometimes rotating it a bit further back will work. The ear pads give great flexibility for rotation.

If you want to adjust the band after that it's up to you and it's a 0.05" hex wrench.

thanks for the info. not planning to void the warranty, so I will try the strap adjustments & moving it forward / backward on my head.

Apr 28, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #1,170 of 2,052
Hi Aeon 2 owners,

I have few queries. It seems that sound signature should be ok for me, but are these a real step up from oppo pm3 ? My oldies started to show signs of wear and these were used for around 5 years. I've read many reviews that soundstage is small on Aeon as well :/ Unfortunately where I live I'm unable to audition selective headphones, had a chance to check bower &willikens p9 and I do say the soundstage was addictive, I could hear an instruments trailing from far away, where on pm3 everything is very close, but once I played acoustic/live music I understood why I stuck with pm3 for so long, everything seemed to be way more close to real life performance and p9 was no match especially in mid area. As well through out these years I got so used to this linear presentation that I bought an iem based on raving head-fi reviews to have more portable music on the go and just can't live with that aggressive/details in my face style. IEM where good with more aggressive styles, but I mainly listen to tropical/organic grooves/brazil 70's/afro beats/asian fusion.

I narrowed down my selection between 2 different headphones ananda / aeon 2 opens

Things that worries me with aeon do they really have small soundstage ? Can it reproduce organic/liquid type of sound for electronic( yosi horikawa,floating points ) ? Many reviews says that it's warm with good bass, I do not want hp to be boomy. I'm the kind of person who gets lost with music for many hours so hp shouldn't be tiring. Do instruments sounds real and are they power hungry ? My portable and very transparent amp is below

Maximum Headphone Output Power300 mW into 16 Ohm
220mW into 32 Ohm

30mW into 300 Ohm

Anyone knows any other forth hp to mention ? I'm intrigued with Ananda and it's airyness/soundstage size/easy to drive, but by the reviews scared it may not sound realistic with acoustic and can be tiring for longer sessions

I own the PM-3, and have used it with lots of pleasure for a couple of years. The reason to look for something else was the same as for you, wear.

I ended my search with buying the Aeon 2 closed, and I am very happy I did. It is really a clear step up, not just some small improvement. And compared with the PM-3 the soundstage is seriously larger. And although the bass is powerful (at least to my ears, it won't be Audeze powerful), it is certainly not bloomy. On the warm side maybe, but taut enough. If you love the PM-3, I think you will love the Aeon 2 closed too. Both try to be neutral but lively (Aeon 2 more lively than PM-3). The Aeon 2 clearly needs more power than the PM-3 though, check if it works with your setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back