The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Apr 12, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #1,141 of 2,052
Hello, is there someone who upgraded or directly compared original Aeon Flow Open with new AFO 2?
I am currently still enjoying my AFO but now I am considering selling them to get AFO 2 but only if the new model is noticeably better.

I prefer AFO with basic damping (black filter) because with other (white) filters the sound is duller, less exciting.

Apr 12, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #1,142 of 2,052
Hello, is there someone who upgraded or directly compared original Aeon Flow Open with new AFO 2?
I am currently still enjoying my AFO but now I am considering selling them to get AFO 2 but only if the new model is noticeably better.

I prefer AFO with basic damping (black filter) because with other (white) filters the sound is duller, less exciting.
There are several comparisons in this thread.

Apr 12, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #1,144 of 2,052
I’m going to start messing with the tuning pads this week on the AC2. I got a good handle on the sound without the pads. I assume they all dampen the treble?

foam pads were the best for me probably because of comfort it still touches my ear though and is alittle annoying. Ill probably rock it without the pads

Apr 12, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #1,146 of 2,052
When I bought my A2O I liked the one notch filters. A few weeks later I settled to using the foam filters. It gives me the most balanced sound the way I like it.

In response to a previous post, I also had hard time finding comparisons of the the two open versions and struggled making my mind to upgrade or not. I'm glad I did. I had a pair of AFO for a few months and liked it a lot but tended to reduce the upper bass most of the time by 3-5 dB. The A2O was a definite upgrade. It has better balance through the frequencies range for my taste. The bass is tighter, the separation is better, the clarity is better, the transient response is better. The AFO had a rougher treble to my ears. The overall timbre remains the same which is a good thing and it's why I bought them at the first place.

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #1,147 of 2,052
When I bought my A2O I liked the one notch filters. A few weeks later I settled to using the foam filters. It gives me the most balanced sound the way I like it.

In response to a previous post, I also had hard time finding comparisons of the the two open versions and struggled making my mind to upgrade or not. I'm glad I did. I had a pair of AFO for a few months and liked it a lot but tended to reduce the upper bass most of the time by 3-5 dB. The A2O was a definite upgrade. It has better balance through the frequencies range for my taste. The bass is tighter, the separation is better, the clarity is better, the transient response is better. The AFO had a rougher treble to my ears. The overall timbre remains the same which is a good thing and it's why I bought them at the first place.

Thanks for your statement to the AFO/A2O.
Then in your opinion the update is worth it, nice to hear.
I'm also considering upgrading my AFO.

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #1,148 of 2,052
Thanks for your statement to the AFO/A2O.
Then in your opinion the update is worth it, nice to hear.
I'm also considering upgrading my AFO.

Do it, it is better in any way possible. True high end in terms of resolution, extension and timbre.

Apr 13, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #1,150 of 2,052
DSC03513.jpg

Apr 16, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #1,153 of 2,052
Hi Aeon 2 owners,

I have few queries. It seems that sound signature should be ok for me, but are these a real step up from oppo pm3 ? My oldies started to show signs of wear and these were used for around 5 years. I've read many reviews that soundstage is small on Aeon as well :/ Unfortunately where I live I'm unable to audition selective headphones, had a chance to check bower &willikens p9 and I do say the soundstage was addictive, I could hear an instruments trailing from far away, where on pm3 everything is very close, but once I played acoustic/live music I understood why I stuck with pm3 for so long, everything seemed to be way more close to real life performance and p9 was no match especially in mid area. As well through out these years I got so used to this linear presentation that I bought an iem based on raving head-fi reviews to have more portable music on the go and just can't live with that aggressive/details in my face style. IEM where good with more aggressive styles, but I mainly listen to tropical/organic grooves/brazil 70's/afro beats/asian fusion.

I narrowed down my selection between 2 different headphones ananda / aeon 2 opens

Things that worries me with aeon do they really have small soundstage ? Can it reproduce organic/liquid type of sound for electronic( yosi horikawa,floating points ) ? Many reviews says that it's warm with good bass, I do not want hp to be boomy. I'm the kind of person who gets lost with music for many hours so hp shouldn't be tiring. Do instruments sounds real and are they power hungry ? My portable and very transparent amp is below

Maximum Headphone Output Power300 mW into 16 Ohm
220mW into 32 Ohm

30mW into 300 Ohm

Anyone knows any other forth hp to mention ? I'm intrigued with Ananda and it's airyness/soundstage size/easy to drive, but by the reviews scared it may not sound realistic with acoustic and can be tiring for longer sessions

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #1,154 of 2,052
Wish i could go for an audition with these headphones.
I did a listening session with the Aeon 1 paired with my V30 and a Moon 430HA and a half year ago.
Wasn't impressed that much and i'm in the hope the Aeon 2 will scale better.
No comparison with the Era-1 at all, which i've bought after my odyssey.

Don't know if the unit was faulty or not.

Hope this lockdown will end in the next days and i'm be able to heading to the stores in Munich. :L3000:

Apr 17, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #1,155 of 2,052
the black paint/coating is coming off already ;/ I take good care of them it hasnt been long
the metal piece that attaches each side

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back