The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Jul 3, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #1,786 of 2,052
The Redbook (non-MQA) files are from exactly the same masters.
I don't think so. Most albums are labelled as Apple Digital Master. Might depend on the publishing company, what you get

Jul 3, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #1,787 of 2,052
Not very happy with the stock pads deforming after minimal use and not being covered under warranty! I may try the Dekoni pads too. Thanks.
Is it the internal foam, or the vegetable leather covering?

I switched to Dekoni sheepskin fenestrated. I couldn't discern a significant tonal difference.

For the money Dan , how about the choice of genuine leather for your pad coverings?

No doubt, with today's cultural idiots, vegan pads are required, especially in southern CA.

Jul 3, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #1,788 of 2,052
Is it the internal foam, or the vegetable leather covering?

I switched to Dekoni sheepskin fenestrated. I couldn't discern a significant tonal difference.

For the money Dan , how about the choice of genuine leather for your pad coverings?

No doubt, with today's cultural idiots, vegan pads are required, especially in southern CA.
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't those pads protein leather? That would make them not vegan but made out of animal protein to get consistent quality. They are amazing and soft imo. I agree about the vegan part though, usually those kinds of material are not as durable or long-life as the real deal. It's the internal foam for me.

Edit: Quick google search showed that only the first japanese manufacturer, Idemitsu, uses egg protein for their protein leather. Other brands are full vegan. Idk what kind Dan uses, but I like it.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #1,789 of 2,052
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't those pads protein leather? That would make them not vegan but made out of animal protein to get consistent quality. They are amazing and soft imo. I agree about the vegan part though, usually those kinds of material are not as durable or long-life as the real deal. It's the internal foam for me.

Edit: Quick google search showed that only the first japanese manufacturer, Idemitsu, uses egg protein for their protein leather. Other brands are full vegan. Idk what kind Dan uses, but I like it.
I think it's great customers have a choice.

I'm all in on vegan pads, as long as leather is an option. In this case, Diskoni is the choice. Sad that Dan can't offer a stock choice.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #1,790 of 2,052
uses egg protein for their protein leather.
The "egg protein" used, is the 2 membranes between the shell and the albumen (whites).

By the way, this is the same membrane that, depending on technique, renders a boiled egg easy or hard to peal.

My way for easy to peal eggs. Set your raw eggs in a pot over a range burner. Boil enough water to cover the eggs (I use my going on 20 years Breville electric kettle)

Pour boiling water over the eggs, immediately bring the pot back to boiling (via the range burner). Turn the fire off after boiling, and allow the eggs to sit for 12 minutes.

Cool hot eggs with cool water in a colander (several minutes under a spray faucet for me). Should be easy peel.

Jul 4, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #1,791 of 2,052
The "egg protein" used, is the 2 membranes between the shell and the albumen (whites).

By the way, this is the same membrane that, depending on technique, renders a boiled egg easy or hard to peal.

My way for easy to peal eggs. Set your raw eggs in a pot over a range burner. Boil enough water to cover the eggs (I use my going on 20 years Breville electric kettle)

Pour boiling water over the eggs, immediately bring the pot back to boiling (via the range burner). Turn the fire off after boiling, and allow the eggs to sit for 12 minutes.

Cool hot eggs with cool water in a colander (several minutes under a spray faucet for me). Should be easy peel.
The things you learn in an Aeon 2 thread!

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #1,792 of 2,052
I ultimately had the same issue. I love the build and looks of the Noire.
Easily one of the coolest looking cans around and probably the most comfy of any I've tried.

I tried the Noire after owning the Open back but they both ultimately were sold due to similar reasons.
No dynamics, not the greatest detail retrieval, and overall too polite for my tastes.

Honestly, my Sundara are more dynamic and sound better to my ears especially for jazz/instrumental music.
The Aeons were good for electronic but again too polite and I found my LCD2 closed have much better dynamics and bass texture.
The Aeons have always been only for a specific set of people. There are way better headphones in the price range, but certain people, like me, fall in love with them

Jul 8, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #1,793 of 2,052
The Aeons have always been only for a specific set of people. There are way better headphones in the price range, but certain people, like me, fall in love with them
Can you expound on what you mean by specific set of people?
Im sure most cans appeal to certain individuals for specific reasons so I'm wondering what you mean by that.

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #1,794 of 2,052
I don't think there are other planars below 1000 that do bass as well as these

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #1,795 of 2,052
I have to caveat that I have the AFO X that puts them in the $600 range. I have the other widely accepted contenders in that price range (HD660, Sundara, Amiron Home though most say DT1990, and Argon). To my ears, equipment, and listening preferences the AFO X smokes all of the others. It's not even close to me.

Jul 9, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #1,796 of 2,052
I don't think there are other planars below 1000 that do bass as well as these

I'll agree to that. Although the open back have a mid bass hump not found in the closed back. I remember enjoying the Open back with electronic music with my iFi bass boost providing that thump.

The Noire came across as super tame in the bass/treble mids to my ears.
Admittedly I sold them off before they burned in but I believe it was part of Dan's design to dampen the mids though in this model so again perhaps its unfair to judge it based on one characteristic and goal.

I find the Audeze LCD2 closed a real contender for best bass planar under $1000 but this hobby is subjective so its great we all enjoy what we own.
But yes IMO the Sundara present dynamics more articulately IME and I'm not saying that to be contentious.

I guess its also dependent on our source gear and the genres we prefer so anyways its great to enjoy what we own. :jecklinsmile:

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #1,797 of 2,052
Since yesterday the Dan Clark Audio 2 Open is in my possession :beerchug:

PSX_20210714_183807.jpg

For an extremely fair 999€ you get a super comfortable, well-made and
first-class sounding headphones.

The absolute strength of the Aeon Flow 2 Open, is in my opinion the mids / the voice reproduction.
Female and male vocals sound incredibly pleasant, emotional and rousing on these headphones.
At the same time, however, totally stress-free.
By the way, this lack of stress is the fundamental characteristic of the Flow 2 Open.
In one breath, it should be said that it never sounds sluggish or even boring.
At this point I draw a comparison to the Empyrean, which also sounds stress-free, but sometimes seems a bit too "cozy"/lazy.

I find the resolution to be almost perfect, which is probably due to the successful highs.
This is transparent and accurate, without any sharpness tendency.
The weakness of the Aeon Flow 2 Open I see in the low frequency.
There, I sometimes miss a pressure and punch.
The Emyp can do that better. The Utopia anyway.
But a bass guitar or an upright bass sounds realistic enough to melt away.

There's nothing to complain about in the stage.

For 1000€ an ingenious product

All statements refer to the following setting
Screenshot_20210713-201501_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #1,800 of 2,052
Think Aeon 2 Noir has more sub-bass. It is tuned more closely to the Harman Target
It'll also happily take a low EQ shelf below 100Hz if you're looking for a little more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back