The New $780 Rein Audio X-DAC (Review Coming Soon)
Jan 31, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #76 of 137
Just placed the order for Rein Audio X-DAC . expedited shipment to Asia . hopefully I could get it before this weekend to try it out.
it will be interesting to see how it matches out with my Violectric HPA V200 comparing with Audiolab M-Dac (which I am running it in down ).

Both Audiolab and Rein Audio DAC seems to be pretty close in features. 
I knew that Audiolab is using ESS Sabre ES5018 32bit Chip . wonder what is Rein Audio is using. 

on the past few hours of music with Audiolab + Violectric , both Coaxial and USB works perfectly . it seems all my music from my iTunes is 24bit/44.1KHZ  , 
where can i download few 24bit/96K files to test it out ? may be 192K too ?

Cheers,,,
Raymond Lim 

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #77 of 137

Quote:
Just placed the order for Rein Audio X-DAC . expedited shipment to Asia .

I'm pretty sure the X-Dac is sent from Asia, so you should have it very soon. I loved it with the V200, I'm sure you will enjoy it very much.
The Headfonia.com review states what chips the X Dac uses, if I remember correctly.

I also found this other review, but I can't understand any of it. Google Translate isn't doing a very good job :)
http://www.post76.com/wordpress/?p=15819

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #78 of 137

Quote:
Quote:
Just placed the order for Rein Audio X-DAC . expedited shipment to Asia .

I'm pretty sure the X-Dac is sent from Asia, so you should have it very soon. I loved it with the V200, I'm sure you will enjoy it very much.
The Headfonia.com review states what chips the X Dac uses, if I remember correctly.

I also found this other review, but I can't understand any of it. Google Translate isn't doing a very good job :)
http://www.post76.com/wordpress/?p=15819

Thanks for the link to the review .
it is actually in Hong Kong native chinese . even thought I am a chinese , it is quite a effort to understand it 100% accurately. :)

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #79 of 137
Even with Google translation I can barely understand that review lol. How are you finding the MDAC? From what I have read it does have a fairly coloured sound with emphasis on a V or U style frequency adaption. Are you finding this is the case at all?

In any case, here's information on what exists within the X-DAC.

http://www.reinaudio.com/X-DAC.html

it is actually in Hong Kong native chinese . even thought I am a chinese , it is quite a effort to understand it 100% accurately. :)

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #80 of 137
Well after taxes (stuffing money away in IRA accounts) I'll have to pick on of these up.

I don't have anything as fancy as T1's or LCD-2's but I do have HD650's and T70 with a Meier Corda HA-2 MKII.

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #81 of 137
I was about to get a V800, but people who try this with the V200 and LCD-2 seem to love the combo. For $500 cheaper, I might have to pull the trigger on this.

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #83 of 137
Hi all

Quick Question . does the X-DAC comes with asynchronous USB functions ?  it seems to becoming a std feature for a decent DAC unit.
I knows that Both Musical Fidelity M1-DAC-A , Audiolab M-DAC have this built in . 

Thanks
Raymond Lim 

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #84 of 137

Quote:
Even with Google translation I can barely understand that review lol. How are you finding the MDAC? From what I have read it does have a fairly coloured sound with emphasis on a V or U style frequency adaption. Are you finding this is the case at all?

In any case, here's information on what exists within the X-DAC.

http://www.reinaudio.com/X-DAC.html

Hi Naim , 

I spend past 10 hours listening to Audiolab M-Dac pairing with Violectric HPA V200 . 
evaluating the USB input from my Macbook Air and coaxial digital input from my IPOD >CLAS Solo 

And the sound is just magical ... very dynamic range and very neutral sound 

The high extend further and very smooth . Mid is lushly warm . Mid Bass is solid and go lower than I expected and controlled. 
soundstage is 3 dimensional , both depth and width . 
imaging is precise .

considering it is only less than 24 hours power on . I am sure that it will improve further with time.
all in all. I think it matches very well with V200 . 

listening out from headphone output of Audiolab , sound is more forward and lesser weight. but if you pair it with a darker sounding Headphone  , it will compensate it well.

I am listening with my Beyer DT1350 / Gardo RS1i /AKG Q701 and Ultrasone Edition 8 . 
P/S# for the first time . AKG Q701 came alive with full potential . I actually spend more time on Q701 past hours than I haven't for past months.

Thanks 
Raymond Lim

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #85 of 137
Ok so my Mini to Toslink cable arrived. Plugged in to the Macbook Pro headphone port, turned the knob on the X-DAC to Optical and bham, worked without a hitch. No need to select it as the output in preferences. Only does up to 96kHz mind, not the full 192kHz due to the Macbook Pro limitation.

On to the comparison...

USB vs SPDIF with the X-DAC via a Macbook Pro.

Now I know, in theory, they should sound exactly the same, because they are both digital, but unless I'm going crazy, they sound different to my ears. Maybe it's the way the Macbook Pro sends out the information, maybe it's the way the X-DAC collates or processes it, but after doing numerous A/B comparisons, I'm pretty sure they do sound different. So what are the differences that I can make out?

Firstly, from the USB the sound is ever so slightly sharper and more airy. I also find the soundstage slightly more open.

I do this thing when I'm listening that makes me look like a crazy fool, but I visualise the sound stage with my eyes closed and use my hands to show the width of it, then when my eyes open, I make a record of it's size based on markings on the wall correlating with the location of my hands. In this instance, on every single A/B track tested, USB came out on top with more width or space for whatever reason. Now I know soundstage might not necessarily exist in the scientific sense, my prediction is that soundstage is often a product of the balance of different frequencies. From listening experience for example, I find a dip in low mids increases the illusion of sound stage, and excess sub bass decreases it.

In any case, through SPDIF the sound is slightly more intimate. Whilst I can't be certain, I think it might be due to a slightly more natural or softer sound, a tad more sub bass and ever so slightly more forward mids. In this sense, whilst the two are extremely similar, I'd say the SPDIF connection sounded a tad more musical or analogue like (despite being digital), and the USB connection to be ever so slightly more detailed and spacious, at least plugged in to the Macbook Pro anyway. That said, they both have pretty much equal macro detailing, it's just a smidgen easier to make it out with USB, but the hairline details are definitely there with both. You could say that USB just has that touch of sheen whilst the SPDIF goes for a more natural gloss.

Which do I prefer? Hard to say. It's awesome that I have the choice to do both though. I just leave both plugged in to the back of the X-DAC and connect to the Macbook Pro depending on what sort of sound I desire. Being a detail addict, at this point I'd probably give the nod towards USB, then again, I'm really loving the naturalness of the SPDIF. I'm enjoying both at this moment and time. I have no doubt some will prefer SPDIF for the musicality of it. But only if any of you are mad enough to consistently A/B compare like me or even notice a difference.

I'm sort of secretly hoping someone else will do the comparison as well to confirm my findings lol.

If anyone's interested, this is the Mini to Toslink cable I'm using.

Fisual Pearl Mini to Toslink.

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #86 of 137
Thanks for the feedback . 

can you attached the photo of mini-toslink cable ? I am curious how it look like . it doesn't seem to be a std item that could bought out there except DIY 

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #87 of 137
Honestly, sub bass feels slightly greater in quantity with SPDIF. It's not a huge difference, but it's there. Hip Hop does not lack as much of an oomph I used to find before (the main reason I switched to the LCD-2's for Hip Hop). Lord knows how the LCD-2's will sound out of SPDIF, probably even more bassy. My guess is I'll prefer LCD-2 out of USB and T1's with either or depending on the mood or genre of music. Currently using Optical for that extra sub bass, which is the only thing the T1's really lack imo, so it's a really nice match up. Though for alternative rock (Radiohead, Muse etc) and acoustic I still find USB to be better.

Anyway, here is the cable plugged in.

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback . 

can you attached the photo of mini-toslink cable ? I am curious how it look like . it doesn't seem to be a std item that could bought out there except DIY 

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #88 of 137
When my X-DAC gets here and burned in, I will do an A/B between coax and USB on my PC and see if differences are found, or if this is just on the mac. In a review I read, the guy stated that this is one of the few DAC's that did not sound lifeless out of the mac, compared to his PC, but he gave no impressions of an A/B between the mac and PC or between the coax and USB inputs.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #89 of 137
Awesome, looking forward to the comparison.

On a side note, this DAC is a bit of a Chameleon for Macbook Pro users. I't's interesting the fact that I have the option of getting a different kind of sound (however marginal) just from swapping over a single connection. Will be interesting to see if there are any differences between COAX and USB. On a side note, I completely agree with the said reviewer, this is anything but lifeless. It's quite natural, detailed and full sounding.

I'm still A/B'ing USB with Optical as we speak, and my opinion is the same as above. USB ever so slightly more detailed and spacious, Optical slightly more musical. No idea if this has anything to do with the actual quality of either cable itself. 
Quote:
When my X-DAC gets here and burned in, I will do an A/B between coax and USB on my PC and see if differences are found, or if this is just on the mac. In a review I read, the guy stated that this is one of the few DAC's that did not sound lifeless out of the mac, compared to his PC, but he gave no impressions of an A/B between the mac and PC or between the coax and USB inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back