The New $780 Rein Audio X-DAC (Review Coming Soon)
Jan 27, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #61 of 137

Quote:
All the reviews using Mac sources used a USB-SPDIF converter.

But what if you don't have one. That's the problem. Some don't want to use them, like me.

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #62 of 137
Truth be told, I don't have a USB to SPDIF convertor and would prefer not to have to buy one. The less things are between my Mac, DAC, Amp and headphones the better. Can a convertor colour the sound in any way, or is it simply just a method of delivering the signal to the DAC in original form?

In any case, can anyone recommend a decent but affordable one? Suppose it can't hurt to have one handy.

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #63 of 137

Quote:
Truth be told, I don't have a USB to SPDIF convertor and would prefer not to have to buy one. The less things are between my Mac, DAC, Amp and headphones the better. Can a convertor colour the sound in any way, or is it simply just a method of delivering the signal to the DAC in original form?

In any case, can anyone recommend a decent but affordable one? Suppose it can't hurt to have one handy.

Just a digital signal converter. Shouldn't mess with the sound at all unless you believe in it will. 
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #65 of 137

Quote:
Have you tried a SPDIF to Mini cable with your MacBook? There's a chance this could work and save you having to use a converter.

not yet, no. I'll have to look into that.

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #66 of 137
Ok just to quickly chime in with an update. Finally got to try this beauty out today. Didn't have any of the USB driver issues Austin had (they're actually already auto installed on the Mac). In-fact, it was incredibly easy to set up. Macbook Pro with USB out (use the USB port closest to the power input on the Macbook, since the other two are shared between each other) straight to the X-DAC and then from the DAC to O2/Continental etc (V200 arrives later this week) using RCA to mini.

All you have to do is go to System Preferences > Sound > Output and select "USB Audio" from the list and hey presto, works perfect. Currently using Fidelio and Amarra as my audio players.

The device itself is gorgeous, slick, and built like a tank. Came beautifully packaged too, and mine did come with a power cable (albeit a tiny one). Connections to the back have an ever so slight wobble if you wiggle them, but otherwise everything else is solid. Volume and connection knobs work flawless with a satisfying springy but very soft clunk.

Sonically speaking, it is extremely detailed, but rather neutral across the board. No colour any where as far as I can tell, though I'll have to do further testing and comparing to know for sure. But with the O2 especially, despite lacking some of the warmth and low end softness of the Continental, instead it has superlative detail and clarity. Only negative to the sound thus far is that it has a tiny bit more shrill and sibilance than past set ups (at least with the O2 anyway). Sibilance kicks in on a few more tracks than normal, though still on rare occasion. Feels like I'm hearing more intracacies than I had before using the StageDac/Concerto and compared to my Xonar Essence or no external DAC at all, but again, I'd need to do further testing.

Going to test with SPDIF (mini to Toslink) on Tuesday, will see if it sounds different at all.

So far so good. Will update with preliminary photo's later, but will save most of the impressions and photo's for my review thread.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #71 of 137
That's right, a simple layout and design change. Perhaps just to make space for all the legal and descriptive speil. That said, I do prefer the new layout and keeping the USB at a lower profile. The RCA/COAX connectors on the old layout do look rather tasty though, but at least it's more compact and flush now.

Old layout.

New layout.

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #72 of 137
I'm glad to hear it supports Mac OS X natively. I don't like the new connectors at all, the original connectors were very beefy looking.

WIth your Mac do you find that you can still control volume or is it disabled?

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #73 of 137
No, I have full control over the volume, which is great for A/Bing cans as you can change specific volume quantities via Amarra with the db count. I find out of the O2 the LCD-2's are roughly 3db louder than the T1's. Anyway the DAC is very impressive indeed. More impressions to follow.

Quote:
I'm glad to hear it supports Mac OS X natively. I don't like the new connectors at all, the original connectors were very beefy looking.

WIth your Mac do you find that you can still control volume or is it disabled?

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #74 of 137
Will I normally prefer my DAC to lockout volume control it's not a deal breaker, a USB-S/PDIF converter can do that.

Are you getting full 24/96 out of it?

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #75 of 137
I am indeed. Sounds absolutely beautiful. Downloaded a few test tracks from 2L.no to really give the DAC's USB abilities a good 24/96 test and it's performed flawlessly. 

With the FLAC 24/96 tracks I've tested thus far, I've witnessed none of the sibilance I mentioned could pop up on rare occasion before (with the lesser quality files). It's just completely clean, natural, detailed and honest. I don't know yet if this is because of the recordings themselves or because of the file quality, so I'll need to test further.

Also, whilst the DAC's benefits are universal to all cans (I've actually been mainly listening to them with the T1's, which I've decided are definitely my overall personal fave), the LCD-2's notably take advantage of the cleanliness of the X-DAC. Gives this slightly darker sounding headphone some needed subtle injection of additional clarity and spacial leverage.  

Essentially, the X-DAC made it harder for me to pick the T1 over the LCD-2, though the T1 still usually wins out, unless I'm listening to Hip Hop, RnB or tracks that benefit from added sub bass (not mid bass) quantity. Whilst the T1's are perfectly capable, in-fact, very good with these specific genre's, the LCD-2 just perform slightly better. As a trade off, minus the T1's added definition and larger, more three dimensional sound stage.

Just waiting on my Mini to Toslink cable now, so I can test SPDIF performance on it straight from my Macbook Pro.

Quote:
Will I normally prefer my DAC to lockout volume control it's not a deal breaker, a USB-S/PDIF converter can do that.

Are you getting full 24/96 out of it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back