The New $780 Rein Audio X-DAC (Review Coming Soon)
Feb 5, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #91 of 137
Hello Naim ( Nice review !) and all ,

When I uses iPod as a source to X-DAC , giving a 16 bits 44.1KHz output. ... this is also observed on Audiolab M-Dac as well ( there's a OLED display on this information to make it all earlier for me to confirm ) . 
However , it is outputting a 24bits 96KHz when using Macbook as source .. connecting to X-Dac using a USB connection . 

The iPod  are connected to CLAS Solo as a transport and input to X-Dac using a SDPIF connection .
and all play material are the same file from iTunes. 

I am not sure if this is the limitation of iPod clocking and DAC device could not take over this clocking and hence becoming a slave clock function .
how do I archive high resolution sound from iPod ? 

Thanks 
Raymond Lim 

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #92 of 137

Quote:
Hi all

Quick Question . does the X-DAC comes with asynchronous USB functions ?  it seems to becoming a std feature for a decent DAC unit.
I knows that Both Musical Fidelity M1-DAC-A , Audiolab M-DAC have this built in . 

Thanks
Raymond Lim 

Since they don't mention it, you can pretty much say for sure that it is an adaptive USB implementation. Not that lack of async is necessarily the end of the world - some companies have managed to do a fabulous job of making their adaptive USB solution sound identical to their SPDIF inputs. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #93 of 137
Would you really want them to sound identical though? Why not have both with it's own unique or slightly diverse signature? Personally I prefer the latter so I can have the best of both.

Quote:
Since they don't mention it, you can pretty much say for sure that it is an adaptive USB implementation. Not that lack of async is necessarily the end of the world - some companies have managed to do a fabulous job of making their adaptive USB solution sound identical to their SPDIF inputs. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #94 of 137

Quote:
Would you really want them to sound identical though? Why not have both with it's own unique or slightly diverse signature? Personally I prefer the latter so I can have the best of both.

Ok, good point, how about we say "equal in quality if not identical in sound signature"? Basically we are trying to avoid a situation where USB is clearly inferior to the other options, likely due to poor jitter control. Think DacMagic (version 1). 

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #95 of 137
I'd agree entirely, though naturally you can have a slightly different sonic flavour without losing on quality imo. See for example the V200. It's actually not a neutral amp, and has some colour in both the sub bass and upper mids to give it that ever so slightly more engaging texture, smoothness and oopmh, without drowning out details. 

With the X-DAC as well for example. USB is more detailed and airy, with sharper high emphasis and an overall cleaner or more transparent sort of sound (very neutral and I'd imagine quite accurate). I doubt there's much jitter mind, not that I'd know but sonically speaking, there's no real grain, noise etc, and the highs and vocals still maintain sweetness inherent in the T1's.

Through optical, by contrast, I'd imagine there is some intentional colour similar to that of the V200 and certain tube amps. There's more sub bass extension, smoother high's, increased mids, more warmth and musicality. There's not really less detail per se, but because of the stronger lows, it is harder to make out details than compared to USB by a tiny fraction, but a trade off always has to be made with these things.

When you get to this sort of level, adding one element of emphasis or another to sound signatures always affects others, the skill in design is to ensure the adverse or counter effects are negligible or still beneficial. That's why I believe the V200 was designed with extended upper mids as well as sub bass, to balance out the mood and ensure it didn't end up too dark.

Quote:

Ok, good point, how about we say "equal in quality if not identical in sound signature"? Basically we are trying to avoid a situation where USB is clearly inferior to the other options, likely due to poor jitter control. Think DacMagic (version 1). 

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #97 of 137
Quite a thorough review indeed! And lol, I haven't even looked at the manual yet. We had slightly different experiences with Optical and Digital mind. I found Optical to be slightly warmer, more full bodied and with a touch more bass. USB to be a bit more crystal and defined. In any case, very well written review. I like that it comes from the angle of a US centric buyer as oppose to just the opinion of a journalist.

Quote:
New review: http://www.audiostream.com/content/rein-audio-x-dac

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #98 of 137

Quote:
Quite a thorough review indeed! And lol, I haven't even looked at the manual yet. We had slightly different experiences with Optical and Digital mind. I found Optical to be slightly warmer, more full bodied and with a touch more bass. USB to be a bit more crystal and defined. In any case, very well written review. I like that it comes from the angle of a US centric buyer as oppose to just the opinion of a journalist.

At least you had a manual :D  I agree about the usb findings from that review though

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #99 of 137
Those who've bought this DAC, how long did it take for it before they shipped it...and how long did the shipping take? Been a week since I've ordered and they still haven't sent it off yet.

*edit* Just got an e-mail back from them (quick too.) My DAC has shipped, arrived in the U.S. on the 3rd and has taken a bit longer than usual to process.

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #100 of 137
Yea, they shipped mine out super fast, it was just customs who took their time a bit. Same issue with my V200, but it shouldn't be too long if it's already in the States.

Quote:
Those who've bought this DAC, how long did it take for it before they shipped it...and how long did the shipping take? Been a week since I've ordered and they still haven't sent it off yet.

*edit* Just got an e-mail back from them (quick too.) My DAC has shipped, arrived in the U.S. on the 3rd and has taken a bit longer than usual to process.

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #101 of 137

Quote:
Yea, they shipped mine out super fast, it was just customs who took their time a bit. Same issue with my V200, but it shouldn't be too long if it's already in the States.

Quote:

mine took 3 days from their distribution  center at HK to singapore . 
they ship fast and response to Email is very fast too.  top rated company in customer service.

Enjoy your X-DAC !!

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #102 of 137
Holy cow! I checked the tracking number that they gave me....it's at the post office, probably delivered tomorrow *wringing hands together and drooling on myself*

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #104 of 137
I will be using FLAC on J Rivers media center on my PC. S/PDIF Coax out through Blue Jeans coax cable to X-DAC through Blue Jeans XLR interconnects to Violectric V200 through Norse 8 cable on LCD-2's. It already sounds pretty good going through my Asus xonar essence STX to Violectric. Can't wait to hear the difference the X-DAC makes. The V200 has already made the music sound more musical through the LCD-2.

Feb 8, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #105 of 137

Quote:
I will be using FLAC on J Rivers media center on my PC. S/PDIF Coax out through Blue Jeans coax cable to X-DAC through Blue Jeans XLR interconnects to Violectric V200 through Norse 8 cable on LCD-2's. It already sounds pretty good going through my Asus xonar essence STX to Violectric. Can't wait to hear the difference the X-DAC makes. The V200 has already made the music sound more musical through the LCD-2.

I love how everybody is going V200 with the LCD-2s. And now even the X-Dax... Could this be the perfect setup....? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back