The New $780 Rein Audio X-DAC (Review Coming Soon)
Jan 20, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #48 of 137
Jason from Rein is very co-operative and responsive, so he should hopefully be able to deal with any woes. Mine hasn't arrived yet, but I'm also going to be using it on a Mac, hoping software driver issues etc won't be a problem.

EDIT: Just checked tracking, apparently it's in transit as I type! Woo!

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #49 of 137

Quote:
Jason from Rein is very co-operative and responsive, so he should hopefully be able to deal with any woes. Mine hasn't arrived yet, but I'm also going to be using it on a Mac, hoping software driver issues etc won't be a problem.

EDIT: Just checked tracking, apparently it's in transit as I type! Woo!

Has it arrived yet?
And Austin, did you find the correct drivers already?

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #51 of 137

Quote:
Has it arrived yet?
And Austin, did you find the correct drivers already?

Yes, I already installed the driver, have all the requirements, and all the right cables setup. The DAC even shows up under the Audio MIDI pane, but no sound. Just a lot of hiss..

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #52 of 137
Could be a borked unit. Have you tried contacting Jason? Also, do you mind me asking how you're connecting up to your amp and source?

Quote:
Yes, I already installed the driver, have all the requirements, and all the right cables setup. The DAC even shows up under the Audio MIDI pane, but no sound. Just a lot of hiss..

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #53 of 137

Quote:
Could be a borked unit. Have you tried contacting Jason? Also, do you mind me asking how you're connecting up to your amp and source?

Yeah, I've contacted Jason. I'm going to try coaxial and optical input here in a bit, but here's what I'm running. iTunes - X-DAC (with a 220v input) via USB with 16/44.1 kHz sampling - RCA out to Schiit Audio Valhalla (and Pro-Ject Head-Box II & HA-160DS) - HD650 & Q701.

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #54 of 137
This DAC looks very cool, I hope it could work on a Mac at 24/96 driverless but I fear it won't. I think I'll pick one up in a couple of weeks, I suppose I'll have to get a USB-SPDIF.

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #57 of 137

Quote:
I saw that indeed earlier this week, didn't really enjoy reading that tbh.
Any mac driver issue news?

Hasn't been working for me at all.

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #59 of 137
Bear in mind, only one person thus far has had driver issues (Austin). I haven't even had the time to connect mine up just yet, so I'll confirm later whether any Mac driver issues do exist. But clearly it does work on Mac as the review above shows (it was the reviewers main test set up, admittedly perhaps using a USB/SPDIF interface, will have to confirm).

Driver issues are not un-common with newly released devices such as these. Hell, even the new Schiit Bifrost has been seeing it's fair share of them. I wouldn't be so quick to write off an otherwise potentially brilliantly built and sounding DAC.

Quote:
Definitely unsubscribing as the early adopter have not even had any luck trying this out, bummer.

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #60 of 137

Quote:
Bear in mind, only one person thus far has had driver issues (Austin). I haven't even had the time to connect mine up just yet, so I'll confirm later whether any Mac driver issues do exist. But clearly it does work on Mac as the review above shows (it was the reviewers main test set up, admittedly perhaps using a USB/SPDIF interface, will have to confirm).

Driver issues are not un-common with newly released devices such as these. Hell, even the new Schiit Bifrost has been seeing it's fair share of them. I wouldn't be so quick to write off an otherwise potentially brilliantly built and sounding DAC.

All the reviews using Mac sources used a USB-SPDIF converter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back