The Neutral / Balanced Thread
Oct 1, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #16 of 355
I would say my current headphones are analytical (K702s) and I very much enjoy them! Hover I also can enjoy more laid back headphones like the HD650s etc so I don't know if I count. One thing that gets to me though are headphones that are too laid back they just don't sound involving. But to each their own.

Oct 1, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #17 of 355

Quote:
Is this club exclusive to those who like crazy amounts of treble? Or is it detail oriented?

Analytical means it is what it is and there is no emphasis on any frequencies across the spectrum
However many people find treble fatiguing and preferred listen to something darker with slightly rolled off treble (or even heavily)
the majority of the headphones/earphone or amps tends to be dark..which makes some people to think that the flat/neutral sound is bright

Oct 1, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #18 of 355

Quote:
Analytical means it is what it is and there is no emphasis on any frequencies across the spectrum
However many people find treble fatiguing and preferred listen to something darker with slightly rolled off treble (or even heavily)
the majority of the headphones/earphone or amps tends to be dark..which makes some people to think that the flat/neutral sound is bright

I always thought analytical was detail oriented if you take the definition of analyzing into account. I always called no emphasis neutral.

Oct 1, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #19 of 355
Quote:

My understanding is the exact opposite. Almost all headphones are too bright, to improve perceived detail. Headphones are supposed to have shelved treble and upper mid-range, in order to mimic the damping effect air has in a room. A perfectly flat headphone isn't what audio is supposed to sound like.

Oct 1, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #20 of 355

Quote:
My understanding is the exact opposite. Almost all headphones are too bright, to improve perceived detail. Headphones are supposed to have shelved treble and upper mid-range, in order to mimic the damping effect air has in a room. A perfectly flat headphone isn't what audio is supposed to sound like.

In sound physics, a flat frequency graph is the most accurate sound reproduction - allowing you to hear the music as it is recorded. What audio is supposed to sound differs to everyone so analytical is not limited to neutrality/flatness. 

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #21 of 355
Quote:
In sound physics, a flat frequency graph is the most accurate sound reproduction - allowing you to hear the music as it is recorded. What audio is supposed to sound differs to everyone so analytical is not limited to neutrality/flatness. 

No, accurate sound reproduction is perceived flat response at the ear drum. Headphones bypass attenuation by the air, and they bypass the effect the outer ear has on sound waves. That's why they should conform to a desired HRTF.

Technically the most accurate headphone would analyze the shape of the outer ear, adjust its frequency response accordingly, and have a knob to adjust high frequency attenuation to mimic various distances from the sound "source". But that's too awesome for current tech 
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #22 of 355

Quote:
No, accurate sound reproduction is perceived flat response at the ear drum. Headphones bypass attenuation by the air, and they bypass the effect the outer ear has on sound waves. That's why they should conform to a desired HRTF.

Technically the most accurate headphone would analyze the shape of the outer ear, adjust its frequency response accordingly, and have a knob to adjust high frequency attenuation to mimic various distances from the sound "source". But that's too awesome for current tech 
biggrin.gif

Actually I was thinking of IEMs when I wrote the post. But yes, reality might/always be different to frequency graphs because other elements are involved.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #23 of 355

biggrin.gif

How about designing a prosthetic ear that slips over your own ear?

Make an outer ear impression, then use that to create an artificial outer ear that will change the way you hear headphones and speakers.

It could be done, but I don't imagine it would be much fun to wear a pair.

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #24 of 355
Quote:
How about designing a prosthetic ear that slips over your own ear?
Make an outer ear impression, then use that to create an artificial outer ear that will change the way you hear headphones and speakers.
It could be done, but I don't imagine it would be much fun to wear a pair.

Oh god, don't give businessmen any ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back