The Neutral / Balanced Thread
Oct 5, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #46 of 355
Adding to the analytical IEM list: Shure SE425. It's unforgiving and dead cold! It revealed any tiny details in recordings I thought was perfect (through the Westone 4). 

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #48 of 355

Quote:
Out of curiosity, why are the SE425s listed but not the SE535s?  I'm only asking because I've never auditioned the SE425s.

Because I never auditioned the SE535 and looking at reviews it is categorised as a "fun" IEM as opposed to analytical. What do you think of the SE535?

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #49 of 355
I think they are very neutral.  The instrument separation is not as good as the UM3X, but slightly better than the SM3 v2.  I likely wouldn't classify them as uber-analytical, but they certainly are very good headphones that demand a good source and a quality recording.

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #50 of 355

Quote:
Is it just me or are there very few reasonably priced (Easily found under $300 used or new) analytical/slightly bright full sized headphones? I can only think of the Shure SRH940, Beyerdynamic DT880/DT48, AKG K240DF/KX0X, Sony SA5000, Pioneer Monitor 10, and maybe a couple more I'm missing.

Signing in with the DT48 and I'm demoing the DF. I'm not sure how people can compare the two.

CharterOak SP-1 (Former MB Quart QP450 PRO) is around 350 USD and are very analytical IMO

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #51 of 355

Quote:
I think they are very neutral.  The instrument separation is not as good as the UM3X, but slightly better than the SM3 v2.  I likely wouldn't classify them as uber-analytical, but they certainly are very good headphones that demand a good source and a quality recording.

It sounds like the Westone 4 - very detailed. Comparing the W4 to the SE425, the W4 beats it in every aspect but it "filters" unwanted noise (such as a pen drop). I don't get how it does that.

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #52 of 355

Quote:
It sounds like the Westone 4 - very detailed. Comparing the W4 to the SE425, the W4 beats it in every aspect but it "filters" unwanted noise (such as a pen drop). I don't get how it does that.

Very interesting.  I really contemplated replacing the SM3 and UM3X I bought with the W4, but I'm really hung up on the idea of "needing" replaceable cables due to my history of breaking gear.  If they ever make an RC version of the W4 I think I'm in.

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #53 of 355

Quote:
Very interesting.  I really contemplated replacing the SM3 and UM3X I bought with the W4, but I'm really hung up on the idea of "needing" replaceable cables due to my history of breaking gear.  If they ever make an RC version of the W4 I think I'm in.

Wait for the UM4X (if there is one in the future). 
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #55 of 355
Can any of those IEMs compete with Shure 940 both in detail and price?  Can anyone whose listened to the Shures tell me?  I'm about to buy the Shure but IEM's interest me.  The most analytical IEM's for under $300 are? Thanks.
Also I'd like to join your club if i may.

Oct 6, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #56 of 355
I have the Shure SE425 and it's very neutral. So unforgiving that you started hating your favourite songs! 
tongue.gif
 Balanced armature drivers sound more refined and accurate. Welcome to the club! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 6, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #57 of 355

Quote:
Can any of those IEMs compete with Shure 940 both in detail and price?  Can anyone whose listened to the Shures tell me?  I'm about to buy the Shure but IEM's interest me.  The most analytical IEM's for under $300 are? Thanks.
Also I'd like to join your club if i may.

I've heard the SE425, SE535, SRH-840 and SRH-940.

I recommend you only consider SE425 and SRH-940.

Which one you'll prefer is more of a preferrence of IEM sound versus headphone sound, they are both extremely good in their own respects, I think in a fair competition of sound the SRH-940 will most likely win though, with more true to life sounding sub-bass, a further extended high-end, more focused and realistic vocals, better layering, etc...

The SE425 on the other hand will sound more intimate, have more specific and increased imaging, and be less fatiguing (not quite as sharp as the 940, probably good for a stage performer, so they don't get tired of the 425 during long sessions, you know, you don't want a treblehead IEM up there on stage, shrieking distortion at you all night lol.

These are just my theories, also I never really compare headphones and IEM's, it's not really fair, since they offer a different experience, however I do recall listening to the SRH-940 after I heard the EX1000 and I was very impressed with the SRH-940, only had a 10 minute session though, will revisit it soon.

P.S. You can also check with user "MacedonianHero", since he thinks the SE535 and SRH-840 are better.

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #58 of 355
subscribed
popcorn.gif

Oct 9, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #59 of 355
What about Hifiman RE0s? they sure are analytical, but why are they not on the list?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back