The Neutral / Balanced Thread
Oct 2, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #32 of 355

Quote:
My understanding is the exact opposite. Almost all headphones are too bright, to improve perceived detail. Headphones are supposed to have shelved treble and upper mid-range, in order to mimic the damping effect air has in a room. A perfectly flat headphone isn't what audio is supposed to sound like.

[size=10pt]Everybody can have their interpretations of what “analytical” is. [/size][size=10pt]To me analytical is accurate, neutral and of course detail oriented too… [/size]
[size=10pt]I find the Etymotics/UERM neutral because they produce the closest sound to what I hear in live classical/orchestra or any acoustics… but many people found them bright.[/size]
[size=10pt]Not disagreeing with anyone.. just staing my thoughts.[/size]

Oct 2, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #33 of 355

When I only use my Beyer's, I think they're perfectly fine.

When I use my speakers, and then go back to my Beyer's... they're a little bright.

It's a matter of acclimatisation, I prefer acclimatising to an IEM/HP with more treble and less bass, that is my taste.

As long as the bass if fully intact down to 1 Hz, as long as it exists in it's entireity, then that is fine, I don't need bass all over my face...

Edit: However I do want the XB1000's anyway, just for the sonic eXBerience.

Oct 2, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #35 of 355

Quote:
Added a tiny list of analytical IEMs. Keep it coming!

Good to see a list. Be ready to get a few hundred PMs 
beerchug.gif

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #37 of 355

Quote:

[size=10pt]Everybody can have their interpretations of what “analytical” is. [/size][size=10pt]To me analytical is accurate, neutral and of course detail oriented too…[/size]

That's a good baseline definition, and theoretically an *orientation* might be seen as a step away from accuracy and neutrality. 

Just ordered a UE700.

Oct 3, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #40 of 355
Hey nikp, I'd recommend you to use the spoiler thing to hide the the list since it will eventually get really long and make it difficult for some one to scroll down. 

Hello

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #42 of 355

Quote:
My understanding is the exact opposite. Almost all headphones are too bright, to improve perceived detail. Headphones are supposed to have shelved treble and upper mid-range, in order to mimic the damping effect air has in a room. A perfectly flat headphone isn't what audio is supposed to sound like.

Yeah I agree.  Analytical means bright and basslight IME.  Basically any time you have an objective or strong priority like detail, analytical, clarity, you're going to have a colored headphone to emphasize these qualities with uneven FR.  Neutral is right down the middle in every way and most people would find it boring.  Unless the drivers were really fast and accurate, in which case I think it would be fairly universally praised.  The HD850 is going to be hugely popular, if they can get that sound out of those drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back