The most overrated IEMs
Aug 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #91 of 199
Quote:
Why do people say cheers/best of/sign their name?

Just to annoy you. 
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #92 of 199
antonyfirst - i own 007mk2 and jh13. i've been using jh13 for almost 2 years and i can be considered as the more luckier ones as the fit was perfect on the first go. i would say after all these years, the sound sig of jh13 actually reflect to 007 in almost all areas EXCEPT sound stage. theres not a huge differences between the two, but that doesn't make it a close contender too, all i can say, the two share quite a few things in common but at a different level. 

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #94 of 199
Not that it was hyped up too much, but I found the FXT90 to be far from what I expected based on the impressions. The worst part was that the $20 JVC FX40 shares the same sound signature and about 90% of its SQ. I'd hesitate recommending it for anything over $50

That, and the Atrio MG7. The sub-bass was there, but it was barely more than my GR07. I was expecting more from the 'kings of sub-bass.' Furthermore, the mids and highs fall flat on their face, crippled by the soundstage. I feel like the MG7 driver has great potential, but it's severely hampered by the Ety/Westone style narrow nozzle. Strange design choice to put such a small nozzle on a 10mm dynamic driver.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #95 of 199
Quote:
Not that it was hyped up too much, but I found the FXT90 to be far from what I expected based on the impressions. The worst part was that the $20 JVC FX40 shares the same sound signature and about 90% of its SQ. I'd hesitate recommending it for anything over $50

That, and the Atrio MG7. The sub-bass was there, but it was barely more than my GR07. I was expecting more from the 'kings of sub-bass.' Furthermore, the mids and highs fall flat on their face, crippled by the soundstage. I feel like the MG7 driver has great potential, but it's severely hampered by the Ety/Westone style narrow nozzle. Strange design choice to put such a small nozzle on a 10mm dynamic driver.

I'm with you on the FXT90, they really weren't near as good as what I was expecting (I gave them to my niece) but I have to disagree with you about the MG7.  I have the GR07 also and the MG7 has quite a bit more sub bass than the GR07 imo.  If they had just a little more in the mids and highs they'd be amazing but they're still one of my favorites.

I know the GR07 are one of Head Fi'ers favorites but I just don't like them as much as most do.  Don't get me wrong they're a very good IEM technically but they just sound dull with certain types of music like edm.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #96 of 199
Quote:

I know the GR07 are one of Head Fi'ers favorites but I just don't like them as much as most do.  Don't get me wrong they're a very good IEM technically but they just sound dull with certain types of music like edm.

Interesting. I think it's because they don't go balls out on the bass on those kinds of songs. I love the bass texture and speed, especially when it retains good impact. The fact that it somewhat restrains itself on those genres makes it great for other genres as well.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #98 of 199
Quote:

Yup, the soundstage on the MG7 is pretty ****ty, but the bass is awesome.

Aug 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #99 of 199
Quote:

What gear do you use with your Etymotic? What eartips have you been experimenting with?

Used to use.  I've owned the S twice and tried the P 3 times.  I've long since moved on.  The P always sounded like it had a fake bass enhancement that sounded one note in comparison to the S and the treble kept raping my ears.  I am notoriously sensitive to certain peaks though around the 6 and 8khz range.  Comparing the two always leaves me feeling Ety designed the ER4S as originally intended and the P was an afterthought to the DAP movement.  This is w/ Ety trips or Klipsch gel bi-flanges which are my go to for deep insertion in-ears.  I've never had listener fatigue w/ the S, always w/ the P.  You can see my gear in sig and profile.  I wonder if higher output impedance on some of the gear you listed favors a warmer presentation on the P versus the S?

Thx for the clairification about your view on IEMs.  However, after having multiple sessions w/ Lambdas, Omegas, 007s mk1/2/2.5, 009 and various gear like the 323, BH, LL, T2, I find my Es5 and UERM more than hold their own and do some things better depending on which setup we are talking about.  Bear in mind I have a pretty nice portable setup that I feel is better than most portable or desktop and it makes a big difference to my ears.  The only rig I like more than my portable setup is my HD800 rig or a 009 from the T2 or Electra.

Anyway, there's a plethora of reasons we or others might hear things differently.  No surprise there around these parts.  
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #103 of 199
sure tiny,

I just found them to be neither here nor there.  They sound clear and accurate, but not engaging in a way that i like my phones, to me they are so hyped i was expecting something on a par if not better than my pfe112 or er4s but i just find them completely enjoyable in a way its very hard to put my finger on what exactly it is.  Bass is a huge problem (or lack of) sound wise its accurate but to my ears it sounds reaccessed, the highs a little to bright.  Dont get me wrong there not bad headphones the just do not blow me away like i was expecting.

It really is a strange one that i cant find words to describe why i dont like them in more detail (probably because i only given them 10 or so hours with the knowledge i dont like them so whats the point in pushing through to spend the time analysing what specifically it was i did not like.).

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #104 of 199
Quote:
brainwavz b2 - extremely disappointed :frowning2:

How far were you able to get the housing down your ear canal?  How much of the housing was left sticking out?

Edit - ER4S is thinner but extends lower w/ proper fit.  Seems to be the answer.  Fit wasn't deep enough or they were too big for your ears.  The DBA-02 mk2 is a better option for smaller ear canals.

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #105 of 199
Quote:
sure tiny,

I just found them to be neither here nor there.  They sound clear and accurate, but not engaging in a way that i like my phones, to me they are so hyped i was expecting something on a par if not better than my pfe112 or er4s but i just find them completely enjoyable in a way its very hard to put my finger on what exactly it is.  Bass is a huge problem (or lack of) sound wise its accurate but to my ears it sounds reaccessed, the highs a little to bright.  Dont get me wrong there not bad headphones the just do not blow me away like i was expecting.

It really is a strange one that i cant find words to describe why i dont like them in more detail (probably because i only given them 10 or so hours with the knowledge i dont like them so whats the point in pushing through to spend the time analysing what specifically it was i did not like.).

That's odd that you found the bass that recessed...  Especially when coming off of the 112s.  With my listening, their bass is actually higher in quantity compared to the 112s.  Can you ensure that you have the best seal using something like the Sensaphonics Seal test (http://www.sensaphonics.com/?page_id=833).  This could also be the reason why they are a little too bright.  There is a treble spike, which does add a brightness, but I think your problem lies with the seal over anything else.  The Sensaphonics Seal test has confirmed many bad seals in my past, so much so that I now just use the test to ensure.  Yes, I'm well aware that just about everyone knows what a good seal feels like.  However, a good seal and a great seal feel the same, but sound completely different.  

As with any IEM, 10 hours time may not be enough.  Bass comes in with time as well since they begin to settle better in your ears.  I think you had a fit issue (tips, shape, etc.) that caused all of this.  

Thanks for the information though.  

EDIT: I get the feeling you already sold/returned the B2s...  If you did, disregard this post :p  Thanks for the explanation again, I'm still confident that the problem lies within the fit.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back