The most overrated IEMs
Jul 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #46 of 199
JVC FX700. Excellent IEM, don't get me wrong, but it isn't as good as the EX1000 and it has a few usability caveats. The Ety ER4 as well for me.

Jul 28, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #47 of 199
Quote:

They aren't reinsertable.  That means that if someone were to ask about them (for a direct comparison), I wouldn't be able to do it properly with a modded 1.2.  I review and get headphones to help others make informed decisions.  That requires that I keep all my headphones as is.  

Yes, but you're the one who owns them. Besides, if you really take care I doubt they'l be damaged.

Jul 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #48 of 199
Quote:

Yes, but you're the one who owns them. Besides, if you really take care I doubt they'l be damaged.

Dale told me that they can't be replaced already.  So any change I make is permanent.  So if I make a change, all comparisons essentially invalidate themselves as it won't be the ASG-1.2 vs [insert IEM], it'll become modded ASG-1.2 vs [insert IEM].  I want my comparisons to be easily redone without the need to damage anything.  This mod is permanent, so it will "damage" the model.  

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #50 of 199
Quote:
I actually believe that every IEM and headphone mentioned in this forum is OVERHYPED!! Once we get comfortable with a new product, and get use to it's nuances, we can settle in on its positives and failures. In the end it all comes down to what is or isn't an acceptable sound signature to our ears. Nothing is perfect.

the jh-13 is pretty darn good, and it really isn't hyped. it's just a superb device. the originally jh-3a, as demo'd at canjam in chicago, had even better performance. that really was incredible!   and while it isn't an iem, the stax sr-009 may prove to be pretty close to perfect.

Aug 3, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #51 of 199
My biggest disappointment was Phonak Audeo PFE112.
Great expectations from all these reviews and "best-of charts"
Just flat, narrow, dead - nothing clear, crisp and detailed,
most of my sub $50 IEMs exceed them easily (at lest for me)

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #53 of 199
That's pretty harsh. 
smile.gif

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #54 of 199
I bought my TF10s for $150 (with the vi cable), a good price IMO.

My issue with expensive IEMs is not the price/performance of the IEMs, but the cables. I have had my TF10s for about a year, and am well into my 3rd cable.

This is also why I will never consider IEMs without removable cables, especially at these price points.

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #55 of 199
what the man said

re-zero is a great iem IF you like neutral,balanced sound.

Quote:

You are V freq listener. No wonder RE-ZERO is a disappointment for you.

Aug 3, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #56 of 199
Quote:
I bought my TF10s for $150 (with the vi cable), a good price IMO.

My issue with expensive IEMs is not the price/performance of the IEMs, but the cables. I have had my TF10s for about a year, and am well into my 3rd cable.

This is also why I will never consider IEMs without removable cables, especially at these price points.

I agree with this - same cable quality issue for me.

Aug 3, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #57 of 199
Shure SE535, I own them and I truly regret buying it.

XBA , terrible series.

IE80 to some degree, it does its job, but it's not a miracle IEM or anything. Bit overpriced, just like SE535. I still do enjoy listening to IE80 time to time.

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #60 of 199
Hmmm, it seems like Klipsh keeps coming up often in this thread.

I have not listened to the S4s, but one of the biggest IEM disappointments I have come across are the x10s. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back