The most overrated IEMs
Jul 27, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #31 of 199
Quote:
I have to agree with the Se535 votes. I've dealt with a plethora of Se530's which should be comparable. I found nothing special about them.

The SE535 is a revised SE530, which is a revised e500. Very similar triple driver design with some slight tweaks to maintain a $500 price point. 

I would have preferred Shure either releasing a new iem to take over the flagship spot like Westone with the UM3X and W4 or just letting the price drop like Logitech with the TF10. It's been 6 years since the e500 came out; they'll need to come out with a bigger update if they want us to keep buying them. 

What are, in your opinion, the most overrated/overpriced IEM's ? I think that IE8 are probably overrated/overpriced

I've mentioned this in the deals thread and the IE80 thread, but the IE80 can be had for $250 if you order it from Amazon.de. I think that's a very good deal for it's level of performance. IE8 would have to be less than $200 to make it worthwhile in this case.

Jul 27, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #32 of 199
Quote:

The SE535 is a revised SE530, which is a revised e500. Very similar triple driver design with some slight tweaks to maintain a $500 price point. 

I would have preferred Shure either releasing a new iem to take over the flagship spot like Westone with the UM3X and W4 or just letting the price drop like Logitech with the TF10. It's been 6 years since the e500 came out; they'll need to come out with a bigger update if they want us to keep buying them. 

I agree, I think the Amperior to the HD25 is like What? They specifically said they wanted them to sound the same, so why the $100 price hike?

Jul 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #33 of 199
Quote:
I understand, but I'm pretty much judging them on sound quality at their original retail prices (not at the super discounts many eventually were priced at). I rather IEMs be priced less than what you're getting in value of sound (Audiofly and the new JVCs) than being priced more than the value of the sound (with a huge price reduction later).

I agree completely. Too bad that the big boys is the marketplace don't want to play that way. 

Jul 28, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #34 of 199
Quote:
I own every one on this list and find them all to be very competent in their own unique way.  Fortunately, I paid less than retail for most of them - anywhere from $95 for the TF10 to $300 for the EX1000. At those kinds of prices, most are a good value. With the right source (and maybe amp) and music genre, each of this is quite enjoyable.

My own addition to the list - Klipsch X10 at retail price. At the $95 price I paid, it's a nice IEM.

I would have added the Aurisonics ASG-1 until I got the version 1.2 upgrade. Now it's worth every penny. 

The 1.2 version.. Is the one with filters to tone down the mids?

Jul 28, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #35 of 199
Quote:
The 1.2 version.. Is the one with filters to tone down the mids?

Yes, I actually found the 1.0/1.1 version to be technically at the same level as the 1.2.  I think the toned down mids on the 1.2 is a little too far (to the slightest, IMO it was missed by 1-2 dB which makes all the difference for me).  Burn in is still helping.  I just put my pair in before I saw this post...  Good timing I guess :p  

I actually thought that both the 1.0/1.1 models really didn't live up to the hype that was created about them.  With what was said, I was expecting slightly more (I feel it was a little overhyped, and have a feeling the AS-2 is as well; only one way to find out right?).  They both are worth their price though, easily priced fairly (more than fairly actually).

Jul 28, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #38 of 199
The first pair of IEM's I'd paid over £20 for and my biggest dissapointment- RE-Zeros...  all these fantastic reviews yet so average and underwhelming.. at £60-ish they are not even worth a third of the price.. gutted!
I'd say pretty much all IEM's are poor value for money, unless you buy second hand or get a great deal on Amazon, ie; TF10- £90. I love my TF10's to bits... great value at that price but Imo not worth full RRP.

Jul 28, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #39 of 199
Quote:
The first pair of IEM's I'd paid over £20 for and my biggest dissapointment- RE-Zeros...  all these fantastic reviews yet so average and underwhelming.. at £60-ish they are not even worth a third of the price.. gutted!
I'd say pretty much all IEM's are poor value for money, unless you buy second hand or get a great deal on Amazon, ie; TF10- £90. I love my TF10's to bits... great value at that price but Imo not worth full RRP.

You are V freq listener. No wonder RE-ZERO is a disappointment for you.

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #41 of 199
Quote:

You are V freq listener. No wonder RE-ZERO is a disappointment for you.

Hmm.., as '3nenbgumi' says, IEM preferences definately are entirely subjective. I do prefer to EQ the mids forward on my X-series for my TF10's though... so Im not sure that the 'V listener' label is the reason. Apologies for not using the correct 'Headfi lingo' but they just sounded thin layered, overly trebley, one dimensional, instrument seperation was mediocre and they had a pretty narrow soundstage.. everything my TF10's are not.. (Imo)

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #42 of 199
SE530: Not that great. The mids are the showcase and are overblown IMO. For $500 they are a big rip. My former IE7s were better IMO.

Sony EX1000: Although I got them at a great deal compared to retail at the time (283.00) they were a sibilant mess and one of the most painful IEM I have ever used. When I mean painful I mean it was literally painful for me to listen to them. It felt like getting stabbed in the ears lol (treble spikes).

TF10s: Considering I got them during the Black Friday sale they aren't that bad of a deal. Then again they aren't that special either. The mid-range is very recessed, the treble is artificial and plastic-sounding. The bass is bloated and not that convincing. Even after reshelling them I wasn't that impressed compared to my higher tier dynamic universals (IE80s, FX700). I must admit they were pretty decent though for games. At the full retail though these are also a big rip. At least they had sales unlike Shure...

Beats and Bose: What can I say that already hasn't been said...

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #43 of 199
Quote:

Yes, I actually found the 1.0/1.1 version to be technically at the same level as the 1.2.  I think the toned down mids on the 1.2 is a little too far (to the slightest, IMO it was missed by 1-2 dB which makes all the difference for me).  Burn in is still helping.  I just put my pair in before I saw this post...  Good timing I guess :p  

I actually thought that both the 1.0/1.1 models really didn't live up to the hype that was created about them.  With what was said, I was expecting slightly more (I feel it was a little overhyped, and have a feeling the AS-2 is as well; only one way to find out right?).  They both are worth their price though, easily priced fairly (more than fairly actually).

I actually believe that every IEM and headphone mentioned in this forum is OVERHYPED!! Once we get comfortable with a new product, and get use to it's nuances, we can settle in on its positives and failures. In the end it all comes down to what is or isn't an acceptable sound signature to our ears. Nothing is perfect.

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #44 of 199
Quote:

Tinyman, why don't you just remove the filters on your pair? The driver dampening should be enough for you, and you'll still have the awesome 1.2 bass.

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #45 of 199
Quote:

Tinyman, why don't you just remove the filters on your pair? The driver dampening should be enough for you, and you'll still have the awesome 1.2 bass.

They aren't reinsertable.  That means that if someone were to ask about them (for a direct comparison), I wouldn't be able to do it properly with a modded 1.2.  I review and get headphones to help others make informed decisions.  That requires that I keep all my headphones as is.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back