The most ideal headphones for voices?
Mar 15, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm the second person on this planet. lol, maybe he referring to the Planet of the Apes...

You're actually probably the first, considering the other guy has only heard SR60 and K701, and therefore doesn't know any better. You, on the other hand, have heard many, many high end headphones.

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #17 of 46
nycdoi - Good point. I hear something similar with UM3X, they are more magical in this area than JH13 according to me as well.

GuyDebord - wow nice collection, thanks for the tip 4070.
I heard T1 with A1 shortly in meet so not the best conditions for conclusions but I think it had a little edge and vocals could be more mellower, honestly I expected more. Probably A1 wasn't the best friend for them but definitely interesting headphone I would like to try them at home.

SanJoseCanJunkie - I agree. I had MS-Pro and heard shortly MS-Pro Ulti and it is one of the most exciting headphone I have heard but definitely depends on recording it is a little problem for Grado that some sounds super and some less.

Anyway thank you all for interesting opinions.

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're actually probably the first, considering the other guy has only heard SR60 and K701, and therefore doesn't know any better. You, on the other hand, have heard many, many high end headphones.

You are funny man.
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

You are funny man.
wink.gif

I know, it's because my arguments make sense. If you truly believe that the K701/2 have some of the best vocals out there, more power to you, but you are quite the oddity if this is the case.

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #20 of 46
DT48 is the most mid centric headphone I ever heard.. Most realistic & life like I heard that can reproduce the human voice.. These were made for recordings, so that was a high priority. Just don't expect lush, sweet, or a colored mid range..
K1000/K501/240 Sext/340/650 are also excellent. The K1000 has natural cross feed, so the vocals sound more 'natural' then the others, with a much wider range, & also does voices incredibly well.. with all things considered, I prefer the mids of the K1000 over the DT48..

Mar 15, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

1. K-1000
2. K-702
3. K-271MKll

Haha, that's a lot of K's there.
biggrin.gif

I would like to try a pair of K1000s some day, though, since some people really seem to think highly of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't care HOW differently people hear, I don't think there's a single person on this planet who could honestly say the K702 or K271 are some of the best headphones for ANYTHING, especially vocals.

Actually I'll have to disagree with that...for some reason I absolutely loved the way the K702s sounded with acoustic guitar. Maybe I'm the only person...
biggrin.gif

But I would agree that they weren't the best for vocals.

From the cans I've tried, so far the T1s have been best for vocals -- I think they're especially great for female vocals for some reason. I also find it interesting to see the electrostats so highly touted...I really don't have any interest in owning a pair, but these kind of statements do make me want to try them out.

Mar 16, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sophonax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, that's a lot of K's there.
biggrin.gif

I would like to try a pair of K1000s some day, though, since some people really seem to think highly of them.

Actually I'll have to disagree with that...for some reason I absolutely loved the way the K702s sounded with acoustic guitar. Maybe I'm the only person...
biggrin.gif

But I would agree that they weren't the best for vocals.

From the cans I've tried, so far the T1s have been best for vocals -- I think they're especially great for female vocals for some reason. I also find it interesting to see the electrostats so highly touted...I really don't have any interest in owning a pair, but these kind of statements do make me want to try them out.

I'm working with the 702 in the studio and mastering a lot of vocal projects. They definitely do the trick for female vocals. But obviously everyone needs to hear high end headphones to get a better idea of what's possible. I think AKG does make the best dynamic headphones for vocals. Another way that one can confirm this is to check the microphones that the company makes. If you're going to hear the high end AKG microphones, you'll hear that it sounds like the K-1000 or even better. Sennheiser, for example don't really have high end mics. And if Neumann were doing headphones, they would be at least as good as the K-1000. So, that's some food for thought.

Mar 16, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #25 of 46
I am new to this level of audiophilia (been working my way up to this gradually for a long time), but I am a long-time lover of vocals and (almost) all genres of music in general, and my k702s are beautifully clear. Dave Matthews acoustic and other live performances, Gregorian Chant, St. Vincent, Regina Spektor, Classical Mozart, Tool, Stevie Wonder, Sam and Dave etc. etc. The detail has been moving in some cases. Neutrality in sound is my goal, btw.

Just one man who is very pleased with his choice.

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tympanum_Plan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am new to this level of audiophilia (been working my way up to this gradually for a long time), but I am a long-time lover of vocals and (almost) all genres of music in general, and my k702s are beautifully clear. Dave Matthews acoustic and other live performances, Gregorian Chant, St. Vincent, Regina Spektor, Classical Mozart, Tool, Stevie Wonder, Sam and Dave etc. etc. The detail has been moving in some cases. Neutrality in sound is my goal, btw.

Just one man who is very pleased with his choice.

There are better choices for neutrality.. Pioneer 10/DT48/240DF, etc..

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

I'm working with the 702 in the studio and mastering a lot of vocal projects. They definitely do the trick for female vocals. But obviously everyone needs to hear high end headphones to get a better idea of what's possible. I think AKG does make the best dynamic headphones for vocals. Another way that one can confirm this is to check the microphones that the company makes. If you're going to hear the high end AKG microphones, you'll hear that it sounds like the K-1000 or even better. Sennheiser, for example don't really have high end mics. And if Neumann were doing headphones, they would be at least as good as the K-1000. So, that's some food for thought.

In general AKG headphones have the best mid range, but for best vocal reproduction of the human voice & mid range resolve & detail.. The DT48 betters all the AKG headphones I owned & auditioned. K240 Sex/K280/K340/K501/K701.. I would need to a/b the DT48 & K1000 side by side before coming to a conclusion.. From memory, I preferred the K1000 mid range over the DT48.. But both are very life like with great mid range resolve, I'd need to compare the two first hand..

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are better choices for neutrality.. Pioneer 10/DT48/240DF, etc..

Yes, I wanted open 'phones this time around and those Pioneers... Well, I plan to pick them up eventually. The fact that they are from 1978 and still solid make them very attractive I will admit.

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #30 of 46
i actually think the k701, when amped with the right stuff, sounds really really good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back