The Monster.... Turbine... thinggy
Feb 4, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #46 of 386
Would these be a match with the PFEs at that region.
How is the detail?

otto

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #47 of 386
Can't speak to the PFEs, but the detail is fabulous, seems to be better than UEs in that regard. Slight delicate details are there, but well balanced. The UEs again seem more airy, which on some pieces is great (I have preferred the UE SF5P and TF10P over the Shures because of this), but the balance of the Turbines just blows me away. Gutteral bass, but losing none of the details.

I was listening to Joe Jackson's Body and Soul (original CD from 85 or 86, not the German reissue available now). This is my favorite JJ album due to the music and the recording. It's probably been noted before, but the recordings/masterings from the mid-80s to early 90s seem so much better than what's offered today. I treasure these 20+ year-old CDs. Back on topic...the recording came after Night and Day (and Mike's Murder), and JJ recorded acoustically in single takes in an airy wide soundstage theater in New York City with a great band consisting primarily of jazz acoustic instruments (grand piano, saxphones, flute, trumpets/horns, acoustic drum kit, some electric bass and guitar). I have used this as my reference recording for testing speakers, amps, etc. for sound quality and soundstage. All the instruments sound real when heard through a good system. Anyway, I listened to this again today through the Turbines, and my Lord, Monster got the timber and tone of the instruments right, and the soundstage was superb (maybe not the best I have heard, but damn nice). Delicate details, big drums, horns, woodwinds, beautiful grand piano, it's all there, and it all sounds right. I'm gushing, but I haven't heard this album this clearly or emotionally in years.

The bass may be turned up a bit in the lower mid-bass, but it definitely is not anything that bothers me, and actually I enjoy the sound signature (and I am a definite no-EQ kind of person). They may not be for everyone, but I haven't had any issues with the fit (straight out of the box using the attached silicone tips, and I have very small ears), and for me the cord was not a problem (I also like the UE cables, but not so much the Shure cables).

More later.

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #48 of 386
Thanks for the info!
Seems like this is a great buy for the money, but probably the brand image is not appealing to some head-fiers.

otto

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #51 of 386
I read a few post earlier (possibly the ie8 impressions thread) about losing sound when you used foamies. I dunno how true it is but when I got a good seal with the IE8's using one of the silicone tips from monster the soundstage was noticeably larger than the monsters and a huge step up from any other iem I've heard (a notch or two above the W3 and a big jump from others).

Does anyone have any "complicated music" that they'd like me to test these out with? I think really complex music would destroy the Dynamics versus the balanced armature designs.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #52 of 386
pdupiano, glad to hear about the Senns sound and soundstage. As good as the Shures and UEs are, the Turbines are doing it for me, but I would like to try the IE8s sometime (need to save for an amp/dac combo first).

I think a complicated passage would be a symphony/choral piece. One that I notice is a bit taxing on systems is the 10th Anniversary live recording of Les Miserables from 1996, recorded at Royal Albert Hall with an all-star cast, large performance orchestra, and chorale support. I always find the track "One Day More" challenging due to overlapping vocals and leitmotifs, larger orchestra, and huge backing chorus. Good stuff when it all comes together.

Otherwise, some classic Beethoven Ninth, Wagner operas, etc. could be a good check (especially since soundstage is better defined and more natural (hopefully) with classical recordings).

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #54 of 386
Goodness, yet another strong market entrant. I've been spoiled with the UE10 for so long that I've lost track of this market segment.

But with all I've been reading about the IE8, W3, PFE, and now the Turbines, it seems that there is a lot of fun I'm missing out on! My only other IEMs (besides my UEs) at the moment are the SE530. It would be almost impossible to know which one to add next! Maybe all 4 of them...

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #55 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodlover77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bit off topic but did any of you guys get rejected from testing the turbines? It seems that they take anybody.

I was told by email that they had sent out all the review sets they planned to. Maybe I wasn't included because when I filled out the survey, I couldn't name a pair of earphones I own that are over $60. They probably figured I wouldn't have much to compare the Turbines against.

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #56 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But with all I've been reading about the IE8, W3, PFE, and now the Turbines, it seems that there is a lot of fun I'm missing out on! ... It would be almost impossible to know which one to add next! Maybe all 4 of them...

That's the spirit!

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #57 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was told by email that they had sent out all the review sets they planned to. Maybe I wasn't included because when I filled out the survey, I couldn't name a pair of earphones I own that are over $60. They probably figured I wouldn't have much to compare the Turbines against.

luckily i was able to get a pair (submitted an app 2 days ago). Got a email saying i was accepted and it was sent the same day. I was surprised i was accepted cause i really dont know alot about headphones. Just got the W3 cause people were raving about them (thanks again Paul). The only thing im curious about is if i do fall in love with them and want to keep them, will i be paying the 150 or do i have to send back the unit and buy it again.

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #59 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodlover77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
luckily i was able to get a pair (submitted an app 2 days ago). Got a email saying i was accepted and it was sent the same day. I was surprised i was accepted cause i really dont know alot about headphones. Just got the W3 cause people were raving about them (thanks again Paul). The only thing im curious about is if i do fall in love with them and want to keep them, will i be paying the 150 or do i have to send back the unit and buy it again.

I also submitted an app 2 days ago, but no response yet. My collection (current and sold) might make me a good candidate, but at least I hope they let me know one way or another. Seems rude to ask for participants and then not email them a yea or nay. Also, my guess is they would shut down the offer if it was in fact all full.

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #60 of 386
Yea I submitted 2 days ago. I would like to compare them. they seems interesting.

otto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back