The Monster.... Turbine... thinggy
Feb 4, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #61 of 386
I think their main criteria were people who had other iem's they could compare them to and lived in the US. Its a pretty good marketing idea, and quite frankly (as I've stated before) I wish all companies would move into dynamic drivers. The only real downside I can tell from dynamics are the fit problems (because for some odd reason the nozzle's have to be larger than even the UE nozzles. And if you look at the turbines/IE8's they both have the same size. I think this is a design limitation that may have put people off initially because there are a good number of customers who can't get a good seal with these headphones (Then again this was before Comply Tips etcc..) I've been using a mod for the turbines and I'm still trying my best to get a decent fit (That I can achieve easily) with the IE8's. I've actually been using the Triple Flanges that came with the Monsters with the IE8's and it works quite well, I just wished there was a pair of tips from Senn that would work with the IE8. It seems like most IE8 users have resorted to the comply tips, and quite frankly with what I've heard from the IE8, its something that I wouldnt mind trying as well. But as of right now, I wouldnt hesitate recommending the Monsters to anyone (so long as you can handle a large diameter iem). I should be done with the burn in process by this weekend (For both) and I'll be able to start comparing the headphones. In the interest of fairness, I've been doing my best to get used to the monster sound sig so I havent touched any of my other iems (xcept the senn's to just try out).

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #62 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also submitted an app 2 days ago, but no response yet. My collection (current and sold) might make me a good candidate, but at least I hope they let me know one way or another. Seems rude to ask for participants and then not email them a yea or nay. Also, my guess is they would shut down the offer if it was in fact all full.

thats weird. Im sure you'll get accepted, you seem even over qualified hahaha. If they accepted me, a person that thinks the bose triports sound pretty good, they should accept you. Im just trying to figure out if i write a bomb ass review if they'll give me a discount. hahahha.
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #63 of 386
imh. all they would care is that reviewers return in positive feedback of the product while mantaining within the marketing budget.
Anyways, I have heard of other high-end IEM's like TFP10, SE530, and I picked the IE8 out of those. I would be interesting to compare these Turbine with them.

It is possible of the large diameter of the nozzle have great affect on the sound stage. when IE8 (for example) is paired with tips with smaller hole diameter. It might be related to the design how dynamic drivers transmit sound waves.

otto

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #65 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think their main criteria were people who had other iem's they could compare them to and lived in the US. Its a pretty good marketing idea, and quite frankly (as I've stated before) I wish all companies would move into dynamic drivers. The only real downside I can tell from dynamics are the fit problems (because for some odd reason the nozzle's have to be larger than even the UE nozzles. And if you look at the turbines/IE8's they both have the same size. I think this is a design limitation that may have put people off initially because there are a good number of customers who can't get a good seal with these headphones (Then again this was before Comply Tips etcc..) I've been using a mod for the turbines and I'm still trying my best to get a decent fit (That I can achieve easily) with the IE8's. I've actually been using the Triple Flanges that came with the Monsters with the IE8's and it works quite well, I just wished there was a pair of tips from Senn that would work with the IE8. It seems like most IE8 users have resorted to the comply tips, and quite frankly with what I've heard from the IE8, its something that I wouldnt mind trying as well. But as of right now, I wouldnt hesitate recommending the Monsters to anyone (so long as you can handle a large diameter iem). I should be done with the burn in process by this weekend (For both) and I'll be able to start comparing the headphones. In the interest of fairness, I've been doing my best to get used to the monster sound sig so I havent touched any of my other iems (xcept the senn's to just try out).

the nozzle size is not true: look at atrio m5, the same size as the westone and shure models. however, i think dynammics receive much greater impact with the tubes/nozzle material or echo chamber. these do not have that problem that i encountered with the atrio - whether it is due to the larger nozzle openings or better internal construction i am unsure. the same i can say for the fx500 from victor and to a lesser extend, the denon c700. -- all of them have a large nozzle and they all held up to poor echo (though the denon i think had some sibilance induced by the casing).

anyway, with foamies, i find the bass overwhelming but silicon tips really hurt my ears even though the monster silicon tips offer a softer tip than any i have tried and don't directly hurt my ears as do at, sony, victor etc. my fav have been panasonic and a certain softer victor, but the new monster are even better still.

i will get a review by end of week for headfi and for monster.

i will definately say: everything is far above my expectations in sound except stage which is stunted for some reason - almost as bad as a normal armature based phone but when i use foamies, it opens up a bit but the bass is overpowering then: not mid bass boomy but too much.

the cable is not worth the price of admission. microphonic, has plastic plug head, poor strain relief and not much support for insertion. i wish it was softer - atrio pliable or similar material to the hd650 cable used in the audio technica ck10 which outside of westone is my favourite portable.

monster have a winning headset and i am glad they make a great packaging that is worth keeping, a decent case, a driver that is obviously either light weight or has some godly magic to increase its speed and decay. lovely lovely phones for sound -- not great for ergonomics

Feb 4, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #66 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Karneval /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*gasp* Fellow NJ Head-Fi'ers?!?!?

Im up in Flanders
biggrin.gif

Don't have a pair of Phonaks though... just my ety er6s and senn hd555s

Northern NJ Head-Fi meet..........?
wink.gif

I live about 20 minutes from you when I am home. Mini meet might be in order over the summer.

Feb 4, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #67 of 386
I got my review sample, and I'll likely start another thread just for the hey of it, but here's the quick and dirty.

These things are weird. They are not what I expected at all. My guess was lots of sparkle, lots of deep bass, and nothing in between. Not so!

These things have a really, really bumped lower mid and that bump extends through a good deal of the midrange. The lower mid/upper bass bump certainly gives them a "round" sound with a lot of punch, but the deep bass extension is lacking. The highs are really unimpressive so far. They're still burning in, but my initial impressions are confusing to say the least.

Feb 4, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #68 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my review sample, and I'll likely start another thread just for the hey of it, but here's the quick and dirty.

These things are weird. They are not what I expected at all. My guess was lots of sparkle, lots of deep bass, and nothing in between. Not so!

These things have a really, really bumped lower mid and that bump extends through a good deal of the midrange. The lower mid/upper bass bump certainly gives them a "round" sound with a lot of punch, but the deep bass extension is lacking. The highs are really unimpressive so far. They're still burning in, but my initial impressions are confusing to say the least.

You should bring them over here and compare them to the Z.buds
frown.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #69 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should bring them over here and compare them to the Z.buds
frown.gif

Consider it done. They deserve a trip to the guru anyway.

Feb 4, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #71 of 386
Interesting. A day of good burn-in and a desktop amp seem to brought these into a whole new realm. Still have a weird midrange, but the sound is rather different. I remain confused.

Feb 5, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #72 of 386
give it a while, my first impressions were that the soundstage was wider than any iem I've heard (with the exception with the W3's which I tried for a day). I didn't start fully enjoying them until after a day of burn in. On a side note, I never used these without an amp primarily because when I tried them with my ipod I had to turn the volume up to 75-80% and I just figure at that point I might as well amp it. I really wont be comparing these till next week so I really dont have much to say about the highs/lows etc.. Cuz when I do the review I want to pick an IEM as the baseline. I'm thinking the er4p's. I'll give the er4p's a straight rating of 5's in every department (lows, mids, highs, etcc). Then I'll try the se530, the Monsters, the Senn IE8, er4p+adapter, and grade those accordingly.

Sherwood, do you by any chance have any recommendations for pushing "prat" or complex sounds? I have my collection of music from classical to metal, but I don't think I've ever come across any albums (in my collection) that requires a really fast iem, and obv if I can't stress the monsters, I won't be able to give them a fair assessment in the dynamic range. Thanks.

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #73 of 386
As far as complex sounds are concerned, my absolute go to is Infected Mushroom. Specifically, the track "Dancing With Kadafi" off the album B.P. Empire. The bass in that is wicked fast, and everything else is layered beautifully on top of that.

Also, try some Sufjan Stevens or Polyphonic Spree. Both routinely have 20+ tracks (channels on a sound board) running simultanesously, independently mic'ed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back