The Monster.... Turbine... thinggy
Feb 3, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #31 of 386
Just got my review package today and I admit I'm impressed. The packaging and build quality are top notch. I've only listened to them for about an hour but so far I reluctantly admit they just might give my W3s a little competition...
eek.gif
I'll have to spend the next couple of weeks with them before writing up a full review.

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #32 of 386
I would acutally like to review a pair. But Im at Canada...

otto

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #34 of 386
I don't have the Atrios, but these "seem" to go much lower than either the SE530s or the TFP10s, like approaching subwoofer lows, but it's clean bass. I keep listening for a mid-bass hump (which these may have, but I can't tell yet), but the extreme low bass is there in spades. It's good, clean, and goes very low in the audio spectrum. It seems to resonate in my ears like a good deep speaker in a room would resonate my body (could be psychological too, but I'll take it...).

I have some soundtracks that I enjoy (Last of the Mohicans being one example) which mix acoustic instruments and I believe some synthesizers, and the Turbines go lower than any other IEM I have, yet they maintain the detail and delicateness in the treble. The only issue I have heard so far is an occasional minor suck-out in the mids, but this seems to vary by piece of music, it's not in every piece I hear and I can't predict when it will occur. I need to compare these to my Senns and Grados next.

As Danosaurus notes, the packaging is nice and of high quality (though maybe not the best environmentally). I keep thinking that these may put Monster on the map in the way the E4C became the audiophile entry point for Shure (with better bass and treble compared to the E3).

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #35 of 386
Your gear lineup speaks volumes, and I would love to have a decent dynamic in my collection. I am very happy with the PFEs, while just okay with the W3s (in terms of value). So these phones or the Atrios (a rebuy) are the top two dynamic candidates right now, or the RE0s. The Atrios have a new version since I owned them. Think I will wait on a dynamic purchase. As I have posted in another thread, I can't sell my W3s, since I got them as a gift and it would be not smart. But sooner or later... I would love to get a decent price for them and pick up a lower cost dynamic, since I am not gonna drop $250 (and that would be cheap) for the IE8s, also a dynamic.

For now, I'll just look for more reviews, impressions. Why I need a dynamic, I have no idea. Hmmm, I could sell the X10s. Maybe that's the plan.

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #37 of 386
tstarn06, these are really making me re-think dynamic IEMs. BAs are good, even great given the quality from Shure, UE, and Westone, but I don't believe they are the only endgame anymore. I wish I could compare against the Senn IE series, but Monster make me appreciate Senn's decision to go dynamic.

Why do you need dynamics? It's all about connecting to the music, and for me these are another great way to do it.

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #38 of 386
I've gotten about 50 hours burn in on these so far and the headstage **seems** to have gotten wider. From what I can remember the headstage seems to be larger than the W3's at this point. I'm listening to Adrian Belew right now and I hav eto say very well done to reproducing all of his guitar effects and the way he sings. I do agree that in some songs the mids drop out quite a bit, I don't know if its because the bass just over powers the mids or what.

As far as I'm concerned, and I will say it right here and now, I would recommend these over the top BA headphones (SE530/W3/TFP10/Etys). I'm really hoping other companies move over to dynamics. Makes me wanna move into electrostats.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #39 of 386
Just got my senn ie8's and I have to say these umm suck.. J/k I know I have to burn them in but its kind of awkward listening to these, they sound like an unrefined version of another pair of Dynamic phones I'm listening to at the moment. But I have high hopes for these, off the bat the soundstage is very large and OMG if you ever need to have something done right, just send it over to sennheiser. Have you guys seen their packaging? JUST Brilliant. I fell over when I opened up the se530 packaging but when I took apart the sennheiser box, I was just.. wow. Anyway I also got a hold of Stereophile's Test CD2 (its from about a decade ago so I was pretty lucky in tracking down someone who had a copy I could borrow) so I'll be using that to test these out.

ok now its time to hunt down a pair of phonaks and a pair of W3's

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #40 of 386
Glad to hear the IE8's arrived, but I've also read that burn-in is a must (at least Senn is consistent with burn-in...). I agree with your earlier comment though, the Turbines do seem to be replacing my SE530 and TFP10 for listening time. I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am enjoying them greatly.

Now IE8 vs. Turbine...FIGHT!

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #41 of 386
what i don't like: fit is hard to get for me (for me - i have a hard time with silicon and have tried these only for now - will go for the foamies later).

but - the atrio are higher resolution in the bass but these are faster - i can fault them only with what seems a smaller stage than i am used to in dynamics - smaller than my ck10 (an armature phone - indeed) but very very good.

they ship to canada!

the cable is poor.

the sound other than that and the box - all is much much better than i expected. i also don't hear the boom (aka midbass hump) - i don't care that these are monster, they are quite possibly the best bargain under 200$.

had they had a better cable, ie atrio quality or ck10, i would put the package as worthy of an under 300$ category. lovely lovely

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #42 of 386
Just received these today from Amazon. The bass is delicious! I love warm sounding headphones.
biggrin.gif

Can't wait for them to open up a bit after some burn in. But so far, out of the box, I'm impressed! The fit is nice, I use the smallest tips (not the flang ones). The are heavy for headphones though. You could probably swing them around and take someone out like an animal style hunter.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #44 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they are not cold but they have no lack of edge or and dark presence. i am glad to have heard them before placebo really set in. honestly, i did not expect to like them better than just about any phone under 200$.

I hear ya. I also received the Phonak Audeo's yesterday. To me, they both have the same quality of sound, but the Turbines give you that bass impact, and I love that in headphones.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #45 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they are not cold but they have no lack of edge or and dark presence. i am glad to have heard them before placebo really set in. honestly, i did not expect to like them better than just about any phone under 200$.

did i write that? i meant they are not dark, but are not cold. they have an edge whilst having great bass.

my guess is that the inner echo chamber is not a cheap plastic found even in high end iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back