The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Dec 13, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #2,881 of 4,317
Alternative to biflange tips you can make longer tips by combine 2 tips, put tips on iem then cut the upper part of tips to make it just like tube, flipp the other tips then insert the nozzle on the tube then glue it

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #2,882 of 4,317
^techtonic^, are you using the stock 8320 tips?  Cause ANYTHING aftermarket will be an approvement on those and REALLY help the SQ.

These tips are the same (at least they look the same) as the SoundMagic E10 but I swapped them just to try it and didn't hear much improvement. I then swapped them with larger silicone tips that came with another set of IEMs I bought and because of the better seal, it was improved. I still don't think they are as good as the SoundMagics and I'm definitely not hearing anything like a high quality $50-$100 IEM as some have claimed. I currently don't have double flange or foam tips to try. Maybe they help a lot more. If these were $50 or more, I'd be disappointed but at $6, I can't complain. You at least get your money's worth, maybe a little more. Monoprice sells great, cheap HDMI cables at least.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #2,883 of 4,317
I did try a set of doubles but that wouldn't seal at all, worse than the stock tips. Ive got some Comply's coming so I will give those shot but have a feeling even I do get a good seal that they will be very uncomfortable for me.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #2,884 of 4,317
I hear the Philips she3580 compete with these, and that they have a better bass extension than the 8320's. To anyone that owns both: is there anything else the 3580's have on the 8320's, or will I be disappointed with a lack of clarity, separation,and soundstage that the 8320's deliver quite nicely?

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #2,885 of 4,317
I hear the Philips she3580 compete with these, and that they have a better bass extension than the 8320's. To anyone that owns both: is there anything else the 3580's have on the 8320's, or will I be disappointed with a lack of clarity, separation,and soundstage that the 8320's deliver quite nicely?
those are all the 8320's strong traits.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #2,886 of 4,317
Sorry, that question was poorly worded... what I mean to ask is if the philips 3580's are significantly inferior to the MP8320's in regards to clarity, separation, soundstage etc? I own the 8320's and like them, but wish they could hit the lower bass frequencies (down to 25hz or so), which it seems the 3580's can do well. I'd like to know what people who own both think, but if the tradeoff for super low bass is crap soundstage and clarity/ separation, I may just stick with the 8320's

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #2,887 of 4,317
3580s are completely different than 8320s.
I enjoy rock, hard rock, metal (fast instruments) in 8320 a lot more than 3580s. The 3580s provide a better sound signature for r&b, pop, house, techno etc.

They are both fairly cheap, you can just buy both and enjoy both. The 3580s are a lot more comfortable to wear though, keep that in mind. I have two pairs, and they seem to be very well built.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #2,889 of 4,317
MY COMPARISON,, nothing official , just my opinion,,

audio used is from this CD by CHESKY RECORDS ,http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Demonstration-Disc-Critical-Listening/dp/B00002MXUH  audio playback is at 44.1KHZ / 128KBPS,,   using POWERAMP app..  with eq selected only and all levels flat
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x196/jaejw1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4854.jpg monoprice 9396

these IEM's sounded good..
SUB BASS-- nice strong bass, too strong at times.. lower bass seemed fairly good aswell..

MID-BASS-- the midbass was strong.. but elevated and extended into the lower midrange increasing bass in vocals.. not very pleasing,, too bassy...   my guess is that the 200hz range on down is elevated ,, just a guess 

MIDRANGE-- due to the unaturalness of the vocals lower range being elvated it was sort of annoying to really listen and enjoy

HIGHS-- certain metalic instruments didnt have that shine or realism i was looking for (symbols, bells, etc) .. detail was gone,, sounded like there was a thick blanket over the instruments,, especially in the piano..

SOUNDSTAGE-- seems flat no true depth or width... 

USES--  i did enjoy these while doing yard work,, or while at walmart shopping,, basically anything besides critical listening... 

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x196/jaejw1/Mobile%20Uploads/216-2.jpg monoprice 8320

everytime i put these in there is a huge smile on my face,, my eyes automatically close and im there with the music.. at a live performance,, everything about these are good,, and eventhough i have not gotten my double flanged tips(being shipped now) im still in utter amazement when i put these in,, but these are reserved for really enjoying music,, and the bass thing.. well im living with it for now..  and if the bass gets better.. then these IEM's will truly be an awesome set,,, 

btw for those that dont mind listening to good recordings and want to learn more about listening to music,, that disc listed above is awesome... had it for about 10years and used to tune my car audio system with it,,  

my next comparison will be with the monoprice 8323's   

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #2,891 of 4,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaejw1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
monoprice 9396

these IEM's sounded good..

SUB BASS-- nice strong bass, too strong at times.. lower bass seemed fairly good aswell..

HIGHS-- certain metalic instruments didnt have that shine or realism i was looking for (symbols, bells, etc) .. detail was gone,, sounded like there was a thick blanket over the instruments,, especially in the piano..

SOUNDSTAGE-- seems flat no true depth or width... 

I totally agree that the bass - especially sub bass on these 9393's is a little excessive, but I can't find anything at a decent volume that saturates the driver or makes the sound lack "control".  As a drummer, I expect the bass guitar and the drums to not effect each other, and these 9396s don't disappoint.  Interestingly, the 8320s do for me, likely because I can't get good enough isolation even with double flange tips or Complys.

I'm not a "sound stage" expert, but I understand that we position audio based on high frequency sounds(why we only need a subwoofer in the corner of a room in a home theater), and the depressed high-ends are likely the culprit of your lost sound-stage.  Fortunately, the frequency response is there if you bump 10-20khz up a few db and 20+khz up another db or so on your equalizer which really separates the instruments considerably.  If you like Dave Matthews Band, listen to "Dreaming Tree" - you'll here the sleigh bell keeping 1/4 notes dead center while you can still make out both the snare and hi-hat both more pronounced in the center without loosing the bells.  The triangle at 5:55 is perfectly realistic.  Also, chair creaking at 3 sec and 5 sec in "The Riff" is more obviously to the front right.

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #2,892 of 4,317
i will check it out.... i began liking Dave Matthews after purchasing the BLURAY disc Live at Radio City Music Hall...

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #2,894 of 4,317
I feel guilty by having such a different opinion but I regret having spent 14 Euros (10 USD or so on the 8320).

Midrange and highs are acceptable. I light the fact that they are quite bright and have a good amount of detail, however the rest isn't  impressive at all.

The total deal breaker for me is how flat and tiny they sound. Soundstage is flat and narrow, with the sound fully centered in the head. No sense of immersion, involvement, nothing of that 3D all-around-you concert hall feeling I like. Maybe I've been spoiled with the Fischer Eterna and how roomy and large they sound (albeit being too dark and with overwhelming bass).

And the format is horrible for me at least. They don't fit well especially with the cable over-the-ears. You can use them with the cable down but then it becomes even more microphonic and noisy, to complement how tangly it is. The supplied tips are totally innadequate, being too short.

I'm definitely not throwing them away as detail is good and I tend to like bright IEMs and also dislike heavy bass - which the 8320 don't have.

But I don't think I will use them very often. I have some triflange tips I will try on them and I'm quite sure it will help with fit and isolation, but definitely not with my main gripe... soundstage and fit.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #2,895 of 4,317
^I am wondering about the quality control on the 8320, due to so many different opinions on sound.  Also as mentioned a billion times, eartips are so important too.^

Right now I am listening to Beck - Cold Brains > FLAC > Foobar2000 > FiiO E07K > 8320 > Foam Tips and they sound magical with a decent soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back