The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Oct 12, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #2,626 of 4,317
i was thinking  getting different tips might aid in this lack of bass that i'm getting, maybe not getting a good enough seal, but i'm not sure at this point

You will notice a difference in bass quantity from the S4, these have more of a neutral sound sig and what they do well is soundstage and imaging. I you want more bass, try taping up the little hole next to the nozzle. Also try the Meelectronic double flange tips if your not getting a good fit. They add about 1/8 inch to the nozzle. Also you can try some EQing, they scale very well.

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #2,627 of 4,317
Possibly differences in manufacturing batches? I didn't have any bass light issues with the 2 pairs I purchased. For sure not for the basshead but just about the right amount. I can think of a LOT of budget IEMs I have tried that sound much worse in the mids and either way too much bass or virtually none.
But for the gentleman we were talking to, no these are prolly not for him no matter how many tips he tries. Again cx200 Street I would try for 20 bucks.

There is a possibility my pair are faulty, because I have them on now with Clip+, I surely cannot be hearing what others are. :ph34r: There is bass, but there's no "thump" in this pair. It's more.....tap tap tap kinda bass, very placid and recessed. I'm using Hybrid tips. To be honest they sound pretty damn bad... :p

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #2,628 of 4,317
Well mine are at the office right now. I gotta take another listen but I honestly seriously think you must have a dud. I was trying a whole bunch of 20 dollar'ish iem's for a few weeks there for my thread and if it weren't for the horrible microphonics I would have rated this one the best of the lot.

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #2,629 of 4,317
Well mine are at the office right now. I gotta take another listen but I honestly seriously think you must have a dud. I was trying a whole bunch of 20 dollar'ish iem's for a few weeks there for my thread and if it weren't for the horrible microphonics I would have rated this one the best of the lot.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least. The member I got this pair from thought exactly the same as myself. I put them through my FiiO E10 and things improved somewhat. (bass boost off) I'm sure you guy's enjoy them and shall continue to do so.

I mean for $7.00 do mine sound worth it? Yeah.

Do mine sound 176 pages worth of conversation? No.

Anyway, I don't mean to spoil the party, I'll leave some sweets at the door on my way out. :etysmile:

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #2,630 of 4,317
I'm listening to "Mike Oldfield Boxed" on my clip+ with stock tips, rockboxed and flac'd, at about -14db, and the bass is there, and I can tell the difference between the electric bass and the acoustic one.  Nice tight bass that goes real low.  I do have the clip+ on external power but it sounds the same on internal power. 

You might have a bad pair.  I have 6 pair of 8320 opened.  Two went out as gifts but the four pair I kept (one recabled) all sound much the same to me.  Among my complaints are the highs can be very harsh at first.  They do seem to settle down with burn in.

I leave them lying around since they sound good without an amp on minuture players.  Just real convenient.  They are well worth recabling.

Funny how the reviews on Amazon seem to go between extremes too.  When having troubles with a clip+, something I have too, I am not sure what the answer for poor sound is.  My guess of amp impedance mismatch is put down.

The soundstage is something I did not expect, it's great.

Fisher's Hornpipe

"Buggered if I know" 

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #2,631 of 4,317
Can't decide between ck-700 and 8320s. I'm from the Philippines, the price is between $26 for 8320 and $6 for Ck-700. I like the signature of my Sound Magic e30. Any suggestion of which one should I get?

Peneloepi

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #2,632 of 4,317
Quote:
There is a possibility my pair are faulty, because I have them on now with Clip+, I surely cannot be hearing what others are.
ph34r.gif
There is bass, but there's no "thump" in this pair. It's more.....tap tap tap kinda bass, very placid and recessed. I'm using Hybrid tips. To be honest they sound pretty damn bad...
tongue.gif

Try using a tight fitting silicone tip. Sony hybrids instead. The problem with complys is they let too much air and these earphones need a tight fit in your ear vs letting any air in at all. I recently tried out my Complys for another earphone the Sony XB90EX which are Bass monsters and what you know. Almost no bass using comply tips. The sound was not even close to using silicones..

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #2,633 of 4,317
Quote:
Can't decide between ck-700 and 8320s. I'm from the Philippines, the price is between $26 for 8320 and $6 for Ck-700. I like the signature of my Sound Magic e30. Any suggestion of which one should I get?

Peneloepi

Try out the Ck-700s. People seem to like those as much as these Mp 8320. They are so cheap for you why not..

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #2,634 of 4,317
Oct 12, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #2,635 of 4,317
Hey everyone! I've enjoyed the sound of my 8320s for maybe two months now with the stock tips. These are my first half-decent set of earbuds so I'm not too familiar with what constitutes a good fit or not as far as the tips go. Anyways, I'd noticed that the tips have a tendency to peel off when I pull them out of my pocket, and sure enough, I managed to lose one today.

The stock tips are cheap enough to order a ton that should last me forever, but I figured in the meantime it'd be worth asking: what is the general consensus on good tips for these earbuds? I'm seeing plenty of reviews pointing in different directions but I'm somewhat wary of them since (as far as I know) people have different ear canals and no fit will be the same for another person.

Any advice?

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #2,636 of 4,317
thank you i appreciate your input. The 8320s are by far the clearest and detailed headphones anyone could possibly get for 7 bucks no doubt. maybe i do have a dud. but i wanna make sure by trying different tips. But for your pair did you ever get that thumping bass? but i guess i'm also expecting a lot cause of nearly 176 pages of conversation and rave reviews
Quote:
Possibly differences in manufacturing batches? I didn't have any bass light issues with the 2 pairs I purchased. For sure not for the basshead but just about the right amount. I can think of a LOT of budget IEMs I have tried that sound much worse in the mids and either way too much bass or virtually none.
But for the gentleman we were talking to, no these are prolly not for him no matter how many tips he tries. Again cx200 Street I would try for 20 bucks.

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #2,637 of 4,317
i would like to thank you for your suggestion! i just turned on the bass booster on my iphone and that fixed that the bass issue, im getting more of that thumping bass now haha not as much as my klipsch on normal eq but still good!

does changing the eq affect the rest of the sound? does it make the treble, mids sub bass more recessed? <--- dumb question but i noticed this logic in monster solos/studios headphones (when the extend the bass( even if its muddy) the rest suffer) 
Quote:
You will notice a difference in bass quantity from the S4, these have more of a neutral sound sig and what they do well is soundstage and imaging. I you want more bass, try taping up the little hole next to the nozzle. Also try the Meelectronic double flange tips if your not getting a good fit. They add about 1/8 inch to the nozzle. Also you can try some EQing, they scale very well.

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #2,638 of 4,317
in your opinion what sound sig are the s4s?
i always thought they were very flat and neutral---> so i've been told. 
may i ask where did you get those meelectronic double flange tips? somewhere cheap perhaps? i live in canada
Quote:

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #2,639 of 4,317
sorry for the spam but i taped the nozzle and it works fantastic now! If only monoprice made it more comfortable and more modern looking (less sci-fi, alien design) they would be a dream!
Quote:

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #2,640 of 4,317
Impressions of the Bargain Priced "Squish Tips"

Ok, So a few days ago I posted a question about some tips I found on Amazon US called “Squish Tips”. Since there were quite a few replies, I thought I would let people know my impressions after a few hours of listening.

Just a little about my music preferences, I would not consider myself an audiophile by any means, but I own/have owned several decent headphones ranging from a Grados, V-Modas, etc, but have never owned an IEMs over $30.

Thanks in part to reading this tread several months back, I instantly fell in love with the 8320 and have since given several pairs to friends as gifts to help people improve their iPod listening experience. As for listening preferences, I enjoy a competent bass signature, but not a fan of “enhanced” bass. Coupled with the excellent highs and mids the 8320 produce, I also enjoy their neutral bass signature. I tend to use my 8320's for listening to Rock and Jazz and they do an excellent job, even if I had paid $30.

Enter the Squish Tips,,,,With Shipping, they ended up being around $6 for a set of three pairs and they came in separately wrapped plastic bags and installed with little effort. They are made of a super-soft foam, which reminds me of memory foam. As you can see from the pictures, their build quality is a bit sloppy and looked like they came right out of the injection mold without any quality check. Nothing to worry about, but worth mentioning.

When I did my comparison I used my iPod 7th Gen and the Fiio E7 as my source.

In all honesty, after using the Squish Tips, I was a bit disappointed. I never thought I would bring up “Soundstage” when talking about IEMs, but I found that the Squishy Tips created the sensation of channeling the sound directly into my ear (which to many might be the whole point of using foam tips) but as for me, I did not like the sensation it created. It became very fatiguing after only a half hour of listening.

One theory I had was that because these foam tips are too soft, they lack the firmness to keep their shape inside the ear.  After installed, there is a few millimeters of foam at the sound tubes end (my word) that could potentially compress within the ear.   I worried that the circular port between the driver and inner ear possibly closes up or becomes contorted inside my ear canal.   Since I cant see whats going on inside my ear, I can't know for sure.

Additionally, regardless of how I placed them in my ear, the Squish Tips created an immediate reduction in bass signature and the highs become somewhat raspy and I definitely felt I lost some definition with highs and mids.

In closing, IMO, the benefit of headphone listening is the “critical listening” aspect you can experience with some high quality CD/MP3s and a decent DAC. In the end, I feel I lost a lot of this "benefit" and made an honest mistake and I definitely prefer the stock tips. (even if they don't always stay in) 

In full disclosure, I have never tried any other foam tips such as the Complys, so my impressions are only about the Squish Tips and not foam tips in general.  

I could spend the money for the Comply Tips, but I think I am going to quit while I am still ahead.  
ksc75smile.gif

Peace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back