The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Oct 13, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #2,656 of 4,317
Quote:
Well I tried these with a huge amount of tips now, olives, Comply's, biflange, triflange, Sony's and NONE of them change the sound from mediocre to good. I really don't understand what the fuss is about. Very flat, no dynamics, nasal, no warmth or decent bass. I mean, they're not bad for $8 IEMs but I wouldn't pay much more for them. I'm really curious as to how some people in here seem to go totally bananas over them. I wonder what they are comparing them to. Maybe they have special ears. :D 

I've compared them to Brainwavz M1, M2, ProAlpha and Beta, Hifiman RE0, Fischer Audio Evolution, Superlux HD381 and Teufel Fidelity. 

Try contacting Monoprice. I personally did not care for them, but they do sound pretty good. There was talk pages back about there being some that just sound bad, and it being a flaw in the driver or something. Anyway, if you call Monoprice and complain about the poor sound quality, they will likely replace them. You probably have a bad set.

Oct 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #2,658 of 4,317
Well I tried these with a huge amount of tips now, olives, Comply's, biflange, triflange, Sony's and NONE of them change the sound from mediocre to good. I really don't understand what the fuss is about. Very flat, no dynamics, nasal, no warmth or decent bass. I mean, they're not bad for $8 IEMs but I wouldn't pay much more for them. I'm really curious as to how some people in here seem to go totally bananas over them. I wonder what they are comparing them to. Maybe they have special ears. :D 

I've compared them to Brainwavz M1, M2, ProAlpha and Beta, Hifiman RE0, Fischer Audio Evolution, Superlux HD381 and Teufel Fidelity. 

What are you using as a source? Have you tried amping them? These have a fairly cold and analitical sound (an analitical $7.11 IEM lol), but what I really like about them is the soundstage and imaging. Are you hearing the wide soundstage?

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #2,660 of 4,317
Also I think there is a psychology about the sound. When the sound is as good as it is for the price, people get even more happy to use them. Kind of like free food always tastes better.

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #2,661 of 4,317
Quote:
What are you using as a source? Have you tried amping them? These have a fairly cold and analitical sound (an analitical $7.11 IEM lol), but what I really like about them is the soundstage and imaging. Are you hearing the wide soundstage?

Plugged them in my ODAC/Objective2 combo, Clip+/ Headstage Arrow combo and Fiio E10. I basically tried everything. I don't think mine are faulty. I think they're just a downgrade from everything I own. :)

Oct 13, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #2,662 of 4,317
Quote:
Thats funny. Like the Greek God Mercury. I think PortaPros takes top prize for ugliness though.

Oh I don't know

They have a certain 80s charm to them. Lol.

I don't know about that. Seems like the best budget phones I have are all ugly or weird looking. The Rx700s are well built but mammoth in size. The KSC75 and Portapro are alien-like styling. The 8320s are self explanatory. The Panasonic Htf600s are attractive but have useless buttons on the headband. They are my misfits but I love them all. :D
Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #2,664 of 4,317
Ok guys. Listened to some INXS on my Toshiba gigabeat mp3 player and the shouting was there again. Almost piercing vocals. I thought that went away. I think I have a good seal with some small tips that I have. Seems the best out six pairs I have tried. Medium tips are too uncomfortable. I guess another 20hrs of Kraftwerk burn in. Hopefully that will help.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #2,665 of 4,317
You mention recabling. I know it might be overkill on a $7 iem, but IF one was to install a new cable, what specific kind would you use? Would there be any anticipated changes to the sound with new wiring (good, bad, or indifferent?)

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #2,666 of 4,317
Also I think there is a psychology about the sound. When the sound is as good as it is for the price, people get even more happy to use them. Kind of like free food always tastes better.

Dont agree. I didnt even particularly want to like them. In fact i was extremely skeptical no matter how many zillion pages this thread is. I still would listen to them over some dreadful iems out there.... Se210's for example.

Oh I don't know

They have a certain 80s charm to them. Lol.

+1 that. Those have that retro cool thing going on. Love the looks of the porta pro.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #2,667 of 4,317
Quote:
Dont agree. I didnt even particularly want to like them. In fact i was extremely skeptical no matter how many zillion pages this thread is. I still would listen to them over some dreadful iems out there.... Se210's for example.
+1 that. Those have that retro cool thing going on. Love the looks of the porta pro.

That's quite the compliment for the 8320. Those Se210s are 150.00 on Amazon. I am  using even smaller tips with a better seal but now the bass is really missing in them but detail is nice.. UGH..What size  tips are most you guys using ? 

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #2,669 of 4,317
Quote:
I don't know about that. Seems like the best budget phones I have are all ugly or weird looking. The Rx700s are well built but mammoth in size. The KSC75 and Portapro are alien-like styling. The 8320s are self explanatory. The Panasonic Htf600s are attractive but have useless buttons on the headband. They are my misfits but I love them all.
biggrin.gif

I personally love the look of the PortaPro.

Sent from my magical fairy castle using telekinesis

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #2,670 of 4,317

What I'm saying is, after you listened to them and ignoring the hype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back