The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Feb 16, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #1,456 of 4,317
Quote:

I've been lurking this thread for a while, and I've been using the 8320's for a long time, ever since Dsnuts' original post. I got tired of the cord fraying and not staying tamed, and I had a leftover set of iPhone earphones. Decided to rip them both apart, solder, and use the iPhone cabling into the 8320's. Now I can use the in-line mic and controls. Really nice end product. 

If I had to do it over again I would split the case of the 8320's a lot smoother. One of them has some pry marks on it from me not splitting it properly. Everything else was pretty easy. Dsnuts' thanks for the recommendation! I wouldn't have ever found these gems, or even this forum altogether if I hadn't came across your post on a random Google search.

Tips are Comply T400 Mediums BTW.

Excellent work.  This sort of mod should have been on every iPhone user's mind when they received these earphones.  I'm a bit envious that I didn't show up with pics first.  Alas, I haven't done my cable mod yet.

Still trying to gather up the stones to work the remote into my SPC recable though.  Or someone who's not a lazy blood clot with a bag of excuses could go ahead and do it.

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #1,457 of 4,317
Wow that looks very nice and functional to boot. If you had to do it over again. Well that my friend will cost you another $7.11
blink.gif
. I can see the insurgence of recabling these. Do you think the better cable affected the sound any? Hmm I am wondering what higher end cables can do for the sound. This is indeed very interesting. I might have to try this myself.

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #1,459 of 4,317

Quote:

I've been lurking this thread for a while, and I've been using the 8320's for a long time, ever since Dsnuts' original post. I got tired of the cord fraying and not staying tamed, and I had a leftover set of iPhone earphones. Decided to rip them both apart, solder, and use the iPhone cabling into the 8320's. Now I can use the in-line mic and controls. Really nice end product. 

If I had to do it over again I would split the case of the 8320's a lot smoother. One of them has some pry marks on it from me not splitting it properly. Everything else was pretty easy. Dsnuts' thanks for the recommendation! I wouldn't have ever found these gems, or even this forum altogether if I hadn't came across your post on a random Google search.

Tips are Comply T400 Mediums BTW.

that's absolutely brilliant!

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #1,462 of 4,317
Thanks guys and gals. And yeah you're correct, no strain relief. I did notice that the Apple earphones are tied in a knot as soon as they enter the body of the earphone. I did the same to these. And also hot glued that point. The OEM strain relief had to go though. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #1,463 of 4,317
Hooray for living in California.

I put in an order for 2, came next day!

Total was 20.11$ 

Very good deal.

I have one other IEM, which is the Monster Turbine.

I have no idea how to even start to say how clear these sound.

These are NOT comparable to the Turbines. 

I'm wondering how these, and the turbines got a 7.5, when i try them, they aren't THAT good, but one thing is for certain, the 8320's are very very very very very nice for the price.

Very nice.

I was blown away by the sound quality, one because of the clarity and the amount of bass.

One MAJOR downside is, the comfort, these start to hurt my ears, i think it may be the way i'm wearing them,but then again, how am i supposed to wear them again? No instructions of accessories.

The included gel pair should be adequate, and should fit most people.

I recommend COMPLY'S!

~LulZSEC

Edit:

One thing about the way you put the 8320's on.

Is the L and R symbol supposed to be 
standing like this

L   R

or is it supposed to be

L (tilted counterclockwise  90 degrees, and R 90 degrees?

Or L turned upside down?

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #1,464 of 4,317

Quote:
I have one other IEM, which is the Monster Turbine.

I had the monster turbines for 5 minutes before I boxed them up and sold them right back. If you have an idevice, try setting your eq to 'loudness' and see the vast improvement in refinement!

Welcome to the 7.11 club 
beerchug.gif

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #1,466 of 4,317
That's a great recable.  I've been thinking of recabling these at the same time I do my CAL!.  Wonder if Mogami do cable of this size.....

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #1,468 of 4,317
Nevermind, they came in today.

Not having a package box really does feel like they are $7.11 earbuds. Burning them in now. The chord does feel cheap but the plug and splitter think feel nice. Fitment in my ear actually is no big deal.

Has anyone took off the filter and put foam inside? I remember doing kramer mod to my jvc marshmellows removing the paper filter, and than adding foam to bring bass up. 

Feb 17, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #1,469 of 4,317
I got these a few weeks ago, and after burning them in for about 24 hours, I can't say I'm impressed. They're not bad, but I'm just not amazed with them. To me, they sound like seven dollars earbuds. Not to rag on them or anything, but am I missing something? I am playing them off my clip+.

Feb 17, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #1,470 of 4,317
The stock tips and how they fit in your ears will affect sound quite a bit. The stock tips are junk and even on Joker review he mentions how it is advisable to invest in some better tips. If you have other tips from other earphones I would try those on them. These big drivers are kinda difficult to get right into your ears and if you dont have the right seal happening they will sound worse than throw in buds. I would try different tips to get a better sound seal on them first and then try using them on a bigger source. Your clip will drive them fine but to get some impressive sound out of them. If you have a small portable amp try that and or a desktop with foobar.  Proper seal with a good tip is the most important however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back