The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Mar 4, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #1,606 of 4,317
How recording dependent would you guys say the 8320 is? Is it able to change character from different recordings? Is it able to sound like crap? Or does it help badly recorded music/low bitrate mp3s sound better? Does it have accurate midrange timbre? Does this headphone mix fun AND accuracy? 

Mar 4, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #1,607 of 4,317
I tired these on just about everything I have and they scale well with amps and such. Fairly forgiving of source. Of course the higher quality the better. These eQ better than most iems and change their sound accordingly.. You can make these thump the bass or just fairly flat if you wish. The mids are very accurate in fact there is nothing in this price range with better mids than these. The highs are fairly accurate and extended well and also can sparkle with some eQ. These are a blast to listen to your tunes with and for the money there is nothing better at the sub $10 level. These would sound good for a $50 iem  many say $100. The only bad thing about these is you have to get some other tips to use with them. I would try whatever tips you have first. The medium sized tip they give you with these will just go to the trash once you see them.

Sony Hybrids I have on them now are perfect.

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #1,608 of 4,317
Does the earplug mod work well with the stock tips? I have some old random tips laying around so I will experiment...  

I have a friend with some Skullcandy Smokin Buds. He thinks they are the best ever but hopefully giving him these mono price will introduce him to what good sound really is.

Mar 5, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #1,612 of 4,317
Hello, just joined to comment on these... found them on a hot deal site.  I've had them for a few days.  The sound is great, but there is a very big problem with these.  The sharp decorative ridges totally dig into your ear flesh.  I know this has already been mentioned in the thread, but I don't think it's been stressed just how bad this is for comfort.  It's crazy that someone approved this design without thinking about how those sharp ridges were going to be pressed against ears.

So I went ahead and took the advice of someone else in this thread and sanded down the ridges, smoothing out the surface.  It works and makes them more comfortable, but it's a pain and you end up with some very ugly looking buds.  Also, I wasn't careful when I was sanding and ended up fraying the cables a bit... so if you do this, cover up the cables with some tape first.

Other issues with these are the noisy cabling and the overall odd way that they were designed to be worn, with the cable coming straight out the front.  With these things and the sharp, painful ridges, I'm not sure I would recommend these to anyone, despite the very good sound quality to price ratio.

Anyway, I was wondering if there are any other good budget earbuds that are comparable to these in sound quality?  $25 or under would be nice.

Mar 5, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #1,613 of 4,317
Can't say anything good about the ridges (they might be ok for someone with large ears) but the cable sticking out front just means these were designed to be worn cable-over-ear.

Check out Dsnuts's various threads on the AT ATH-CKM50, Thermaltake Isurus and the Philips SHE3580 (last one pictured in my avatar).  If you like the balanced sound of the Monoprice perhaps try the SHE3580's brother the SHH3580.  These are the mic'd version of the SHE3580 but soundwise they're different too--less V-shaped check out my comparison

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-thermaltake-isurus-the-philips-she3580-the-iem-discovery-thread/1065#post_8189724

Unfortunately I don't have the Monoprice to compare.

Fit wise these are the complete opposite of the Monoprice--the eartip (which are normal sized) is almost bigger than the rest of the phone, so they practically fit anybody comfortably.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 5, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #1,614 of 4,317
For me the SHH3580 are still too v-shaped, if you like the sound of the MP I would suggest looking at something else....perhaps Brainwavz Beta/ProAlpha or Vsonic R02 if you can get these for under $25.  There aren't many IEM's that don't recess the midrange at this price point.
I have made an assumption here that you liked the particular signature of the MP, if you like a v-shaped sound then the Philips are an excellent buy.

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #1,615 of 4,317
Well I always set up my EQ to a V/U shape, so that is the sound I like.  And I like a strong bass.  These 8320's sound good to me because I'm coming from a pair of stock Ipod earbuds.  So I'm just discovering good quality headphones and now I want to try another one.

I'm thinking about trying the CKM50's.  Is that more of a V shaped sound?  Of the CKM50 and SHE3580, which have better bass?

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #1,616 of 4,317

Quote:
Well I always set up my EQ to a V/U shape, so that is the sound I like.  And I like a strong bass.  These 8320's sound good to me because I'm coming from a pair of stock Ipod earbuds.  So I'm just discovering good quality headphones and now I want to try another one.

I'm thinking about trying the CKM50's.  Is that more of a V shaped sound?  Of the CKM50 and SHE3580, which have better bass?

I have both and enjoy each one a lot. I think that the CKM50s have a slightly better, punchier bass. I currently have Comply T400 tips on them and they are great. The biggest negative about these is the short cable length, which basically requires you to use the extension cable, making them just a bit too long and also heavy where the extension connects.

The SHE3580 is very good and a steal at $10 and it comes in different colors which is cool if you don't want plain old black. It is also extremely small and light, making them very comfortable to wear.

Check out the threads on each and read the pro and cons of each to determine if the price differential makes sense for what you want. They will also give a better, more detailed break down of their strengths and weaknesses in sound. Both definitely have the V shaped sound, but if you are choosing based solely on SQ then the CKM50s are probably the better pick.

Mar 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #1,618 of 4,317
I'm truly shocked. 

I attained a pair of 8320's from my friend and compared it it with my UE Triple Fi 10's. The sound signature is remarkably similar in every way. The bass on the 8320's is tight and accurate, similar to the Triple Fi's. 8320's treble is high up there as well, but not as sparkling as the Triple Fi's. Mids, no contest. Triple Fi easily wins in this department. (Both were amped from a cMoy coming out of a macbook.)

But, considering that my Triple Fi's cost ~20x the 8320's, I would be hesitant to buy the Triple Fi's if I had to choose between the two. I'll be happy to settle for the 8320's if it had come out when I was looking for a set of IEM's .

God damn it monoprice. 

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #1,619 of 4,317

Quote:
I'm truly shocked. 

I attained a pair of 8320's from my friend and compared it it with my UE Triple Fi 10's. The sound signature is remarkably similar in every way. The bass on the 8320's is tight and accurate, similar to the Triple Fi's. 8320's treble is high up there as well, but not as sparkling as the Triple Fi's. Mids, no contest. Triple Fi easily wins in this department. (Both were amped from a cMoy coming out of a macbook.)

But, considering that my Triple Fi's cost ~20x the 8320's, I would be hesitant to buy the Triple Fi's if I had to choose between the two. I'll be happy to settle for the 8320's if it had come out when I was looking for a set of IEM's .

God damn it monoprice. 

and that's why i never bought the TF10's...always thought they lacked bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back