The Maryland College Park Meet @ Thrice's
Oct 9, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #61 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch

Igor Kuznetsoff of K-Works came, bringing some great cables and other devices he’s put together....
Another interesting cable was his digital cable. This cable actually produced the most audible difference I’ve ever heard out of a digital cable (Dave1 is laughing hysterically at this, incidentally. I wish we had been able to demo this when he was still at the meet). Other devices included a novel cable lifter, and some very interesting isolation feet.

Wow, didn't even know he was going to a meet.
Anyways I have to comment on the digital cable which I have been using between The Audio Logic 24mxl Dac and Proceed transport. Even against the well touted i2digital x60 cables, it was far far ahead it. Most digital cables sound pretty similar, some with different tonality, more or less detail etc. But the K Works was able to change the entire presentation of the music. Where for me its greatest attribute was the fullness it gave to everything making instruments far less flat giving me an allsuion of three dimentionality, not just bloat in certain ranges to make it sound bigger, but an impovement accross the board where it sounds really integrated. The cable also sounds more expanded in stage as well in both directions where placement makes the x60 sound like everything is coming from the same plane. Especially with the AL Dac, it was able to make everything sound less "digital" where the edginess of digital is greatly reduced, and for me its greatert asset is the ablility to sound full and not brittle and thin which is what I hate over headphones.
I personally couldn't believe a digital cable made this much difference where even my switches betweem transports have not come close to making this kind of change.
Well I do have the Dynamo PC as well and will talk about that later but can say it is quite an improvement over the Empowered.

Oct 11, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #62 of 69
What's the cute little tube amp with the 3 brass tube guard thingies?
meet4.jpg

Oct 11, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #63 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
What's the cute little tube amp with the 3 brass tube guard thingies?
meet4.jpg

Looks like either an Earmax or an Earmax Pro. Looks just like my Pro... Earwax.
orphsmile.gif

Oct 12, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #65 of 69
It's an Earmax Pro (Telefunken ECC801S and pair of Valvo PCC88's). That little amp is amazing convenient to carry around. The power supply is the black box with the blue LED behind the player the amp is sitting on.

Oct 12, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #66 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
It's an Earmax Pro (Telefunken ECC801S and pair of Valvo PCC88's). That little amp is amazing convenient to carry around. The power supply is the black box with the blue LED behind the player the amp is sitting on.

Thanks. It certainly answers one of my previous objections to tube amps, "Too large" hehe, I think I could find space for that

Dec 13, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #69 of 69
My HFI-650 are showing serious signs of age. I'm thinking that I'd like to attend the next meet as well, mostly to audition some closed cans. I'm in Greenbelt, so College Park is very convenient. I wish I had paid attn. I might have been able to make it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back