The Maryland College Park Meet @ Thrice's
Oct 3, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #16 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
The Stax amp in this picture is the 310 -- it's the 3010 system, not the 3000 system. It comes with the 202's. I love this system, though I still want a pair of 4070's.

I should mention that Justin also brought a Gilmore Reference (dual monoblock pre-amp, headphone amp, and balanced headphone amp). It sounded quite good out of the just-plain headphone jacks. My favourite sound of the meet (driving HD650's, don't remember which cables), with the Blue Hawaii driving the Omega II's. The KGSS driving the Omega II's didn't sound bad, either. As a matter of fact, if I was sure of my income in the immediate future, I'd buy either one in a heartbeat. Or driving the HE60's (Sennheiser Baby Orpheus electrostatic headphones).

I had a good time, thanks for hosting thrice, thanks to all the vendors for showing.

I just purchased the Baby-O system today and was wondering if you got to hear them with the two head-amp amps. Did you have to use an adapter? Thanks for anyone who got to use this combos thoughts.

Oct 3, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #17 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
An HE60 with a typo
wink.gif

Gaboo, Stevio's player was a 3950. Mine was a 3960.

I stand corrected. Twice.
basshead.gif
[Btw, head-fi needs an :embarrassed: smiley just for me]

Oct 3, 2004 at 8:51 PM Post #18 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
An HE60 with a typo
wink.gif

I thought it was some Sennheiser dynamic can I haven't heard about. you never know....
tongue.gif

Oct 3, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #19 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
I just purchased the Baby-O system today and was wondering if you got to hear them with the two head-amp amps. Did you have to use an adapter? Thanks for anyone who got to use this combos thoughts.

Yes I did (have a chance to listen to them), and yes I did (have to use an adapter -- get details from Hirsch, who got details from someone else, I forget whom).

EDIT: I should mention that the second jack in one of the Headamp amps was for an Orpheus (which is different even than a Baby Orpheus) -- I wouldn't be surprised if he could put in a jack for the Baby Orpheus.

They sounded excellent. The Headamp amps made them sound just great. One of my favourite sounds of the meet. The Headamp amps made pretty much everything sound great. The only differences I could discern were: my 202's were just a little more coarse than the 404's. The Omega II's were second only to the R10 in high-frequency refinement (read: detail, amongst other thigns). The Baby O's and the 404's were on par with each other. I think which one you will prefer will be purely a matter of personal preference, not a clear "one is better than the other".

If you end up ditching the Baby O's, please let me know first. I know someone who wants a pair (me).

Oct 4, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #20 of 69
You matched a stock 3960 with a STAX? And afterwards you want to buy both? Wow, I am pretty impressed! I don't want to end up being a part of the Toshiba Mafia, but seriously, I had my doubts of the 3960 being a good enough source for something like the STAX. I look forward to hearing that combo at the next NYC meet then!

Oct 4, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #21 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
You matched a stock 3960 with a STAX? And afterwards you want to buy both? Wow, I am pretty impressed! I don't want to end up being a part of the Toshiba Mafia, but seriously, I had my doubts of the 3960 being a good enough source for something like the STAX. I look forward to hearing that combo at the next NYC meet then!

I listened to that combo too (but it was a 3950, not 60 as Hirsh pointed out). IMHO it lacked bass completely. From my own experience with a K740 bass is overemphasised, so I think the headphones/amp must be lacking bass.
confused.gif

Oct 4, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #22 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaboo
I've only listened to one (dunno which) when I was comparing phones on the PPX3 6SN7 / Ack Dack / Creek setup. DT770 sounded shrill and distorting compared to anything else around (A900, HD-600, 650, CD3K), so I didn't bother with the other pairs.
plainface.gif

I noticed the DT770 I listened to didn't really get along with the PPX3/ Creek setup. It sounded pretty average and not very dynamic. I love the DT770 with my PPA at home however. The DT770 at the meet I heard was a 250 and the one I own is an 80 so that might make some difference as well.

Regarding the new style PPX3 (6SN7) at the meet, which I believe is Steveo's. What sort of upgrades were on it? When I get my own PPX3 I'll probably persue the same configuration because I liked it so much.

Another headphone amp I really loved was Justin's clear crisp Gilmore Dynamic Reference. It played every headphone I could throw at it very well, almost a universal synergy
icon10.gif

Oct 4, 2004 at 1:13 AM Post #23 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
Another headphone amp I really loved was Justin's clear crisp Gilmore Dynamic Reference. It played every headphone I could throw at it very well, almost a universal synergy
icon10.gif

That is great amp indeed. The only average combination was with RS-1 on classical music. IMHO the hd-600 was way more transparent on that.

Oct 4, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #25 of 69
Any comments on Hirsch's new SDS/R10 combo?

Oct 4, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #26 of 69
Another great DC event. Thanks Thrice for being a gracious host.

Blue Hawaii- This is my second opportunity to hear the Headamp blue hawaii, and I liked it much better this time. It was a different amp, and this one was a real head turner. Plus it will heat the room all winter.

Ray Samuels - It was a pleasure meeting Ray and spending time with his products. I liked them all, in fact, maybe my ears were tired, but they all sounded very similar to me, even the stealth. It is a fast, neutral, powerful sound. I liked them all.

SDS - Large chassis, large sound. Hirsch keeps saying that the amp is still breaking in. I am afraid to listen to it anymore because I don't want to spend that kind of money, or devote a room to housing it.

Canman setup - I hate you.

Oct 4, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #27 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Any comments on Hirsch's new SDS/R10 combo?

The SDS wasn't sounding very good at the meet. I think there was something wrong with the amp because it exhibited some distortion, frequency rolloff, and compression. I have heard many of Mikhail's designs before and I am big fan of his amps, but this one was not sounding good.

Thanks to thrice for a great meet. Everything worked out really well. Ray and the DC crew are a lot of fun.

The Omega II came out early today and sounded sweet after warming up for 20-30 minutes. I reaffirmed my love for the Stax headphones and I am very content with the setup that I have now.

One very interesting experiment was Ray's amp switchbox. This allowed you to switch between amplifiers with a flip of the switch. Differences that I thought I could hear when plugging and unplugging headphones dissapeared with the switch box in place. All of Ray's solid state amps sounded VERY close, even with the R10s. The Stealth and the HR-2 were too close with the HD-600 and similar but noticably different using the R-10. Using an HP-2, I could differentiate the Gilmore Lite and the Stealth every time, but honestly they don't sound that different. The Gilmore Lite had some compression/fuzziness in the high end compared to the Stealth but it is one tenth the price. The Lite is a great little amplifier. All of Justin's work is first class. When Ray found that one of the steps in my attenuator was mismatched (he has good ears), Justin switched out a good attenuator from his amp and installed it into my amp right at the meet on Thrice's work bench. Justin also repaired a loose connection on Hirsch's Grados. That's what I call good service!

One note about the R-10: It is at least the King of picky headphones. No other headphone I know of differentiates between amplifiers like the R-10. The R-10 sounded like crap for most of the meet until I listened through a catrefully tuberolled Stealth with NOS 6SN7s. The sound, although still lacking in bass dynamics, finally showed me why the R-10s are one of the best available. I love the R-10s for what they do well, but my wallet is happy that the R-10 doesn't completely do it for me.

Oct 4, 2004 at 7:43 PM Post #28 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave1
Blue Hawaii- This is my second opportunity to hear the Headamp blue hawaii, and I liked it much better this time. It was a different amp, and this one was a real head turner. Plus it will heat the room all winter.

can you elaborate on the differences between the two experiences?

Oct 4, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #29 of 69
Thank you Stephen (thrice) for hosting the meet. This was my first time. It was very educational and invaluable to be able to compare such a collection of equipment all in one location. They all sounded great even though it is a bit difficult to critically listen to music using open-air headphones in a room with 25 people. One amp that stood out for me was the singlepower mated to the Musichall cd player. It was the most involving and musical that I heard, it did every thing right for me! I can not remember the exact model number - if someone can please chime in with the correct info - Looking forward to the next meet and to spend more time.

Best Regards

Amir

Oct 4, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #30 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmirB
One amp that stood out for me was the singlepower mated to the Musichall cd player. It was the most involving and musical that I heard, it did every thing right for me! I can not remember the exact model number - if someone can please chime in with the correct info

Possibly my setup with the old-chassis MPX3 model. Part of the time the MH was hooked up to the ack! dAck! and part of the time it was just the player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back