The "Lovely Cube" Headphone Amp (Lehmann Black Cube Linear Clone)
Apr 28, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #1,037 of 1,624
it just looks a bit roughly ground on the edges....
Of course, if you are planning an SE version with an outer case 'like wot I done', then the inner case does not matter too much as long as it shields the amp....so you could get away with a specially designed front panel.....you have any DIY skills or know anyone who can cut/bend sheet metal, etc? The front panel could be made out of 6mm perspex, laser cut, or brass, chrome plated, etc....world's your oyster, really! Especially if you live in an area where there are little traditional machine shops in the backstreets....

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #1,038 of 1,624
Hello guys...

I  bought a Lovely Cube a few months ago.

After many OPAMPs changes...
I found a HUGE improvement using the AUDIO-GD OPA-Earth.
It need a extension cord for fitting it inside the case (Cap Type - about 150-200mm).
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/diy/OPA/OPAEN.htm

There was an noticeable improvement in the sound extension.
More defined bass and treble.
More natural and spatial sounds.
Just great !!!

I will take some pictures soon...

May 25, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #1,040 of 1,624
My Clone and Graham Slee Novo. Might have to tweak it a little bit. Already replaced clone volume control with an Alps and input capacitors with [size=small]2.2uF 400V MKP Polypropylene film capacitors[/size] . Also replaced op amp that came with it for an [size=small]OPA2604AP. Myself and my friend prefer the clone to the Novo. Use Audio Technica ATH AD700 and Grado SR325 headphones on these.[/size]

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #1,042 of 1,624
I completely removed the power supply from my headphone amplifier. I built a Lt1083 regulated +-15v power supply  to power the amp. here are pictures. I haven't hooked it up as yet. The transformer is 80VA, dual 18V secondaries. Filter caps., 10,000uF, dual bridge discrete diodes. I will post updates when I get time to do some more work on the unit.

I've finally finished the power supply and amplifier.  The new power supply took the amplifier to a different lever of performance. I removed all the power supply parts from the original design. I don't really like the sound of LM3xx regulators, too harsh and noisy.

Don't expect miracles by just replacing passive components. The heart of every audio system is the power supply, so that's why I spent so much time building the best sounding power supply for the amp. The improvements especially in the bass areas are nothing short of subwoofer quality deep and controlled. Music comes out of a dark silent background with authority and fullness. The power supply is fully adjustable and is very stable and runs very cool.

Additional changes that I made to the amp are input caps are polypropylene in oil, power rail caps are Panasonic FM 680uF and 470uF bypassed with .1uf, silver mica caps input to ground on op amp. I will roll op amps to hear what suits me best. I also replaced the phone sockets with Neutrik gold plated. My objective is to  address areas that make the most significant difference in sound.

I'll probably sell this amp and move on to the next project. If you have questions, just email me.

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #1,044 of 1,624
Hello to all..
This is my ever first post on a forum..
But it is now more than one year I red every post of this thread.
I managed to build a "personnal" clone of the Lehmann..
I used all excellent components.. PRP résistors, Siemens styroflex, Mundorf caps, Panasonics, .. LME49720HA opa..
I Think I reached a top of quality.. It sounds very, very good with my Sennheisers HD 600..

I tried to post a picture.. but system says there is a communication problem with the server..
I 'll try later..

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #1,046 of 1,624
Quote:
can you convert the lovely cube to "dual mono"?

Convert? Not that I know of - You could do full balanced by building two of them in one casing. 

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #1,047 of 1,624
ok thankss!  so no "lovely matrix quattro cube" for me   
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back