The "Lovely Cube" Headphone Amp (Lehmann Black Cube Linear Clone)
Apr 14, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #691 of 1,624

Quote:
Got a response from Stephen. No review sample for me.
frown.gif
maybe I'll buy one.

that's a good idea! I'm sure you will like it if u like the BCL :D

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #692 of 1,624
BCL and LC have same topology. As I tried to explain (more than 10 times), they have the same circuit topology, and that will (usually) give you similar sound. What I see on pictures is that BCL uses "audiophile" connectors (RCA and headphone out) that costs a lot. Also has better transformer. BUT IF YOU buy transformer on your own, and choose other parts on your own, YOU ARE ABLE to make EXACTLY THE SAME amplifier as BCL is, and spend LESS MONEY (THIRD - to be correct).

"Darkness", "lightness", "slow", "fast" etc... depend on all internal parts in your BCL/BC,  INCLUDED EXTERNAL EQUIPMENT like cable, DAC and how well is sound recorded. For example, BAD recorded music will sound like CRAP on good system, and GOOD recorded music will sound GOOD on cheap system.

I would like to see a person, in this world, who has approved explanation that two same topology, with same parts, on the same system, with different name (Black Cube Linear and Home Made Amplifier ) - could sound different.

In this case, difference is because of few different components! Put on the paper the list of all BCL parts and I bet that, on Farnell or silimar site, you can assemble the same BCL for 300 USD!!!

BCL and LC sound different because their components are different (said before). But difference is, maybe, 50 USD (not 600 USD!!!). What I am trying to say is that you can "tune" your sound to be the same as is in BCL - for less money (a lot)!!!

LC Premium? It is LC "Normal" with high quality connectors. Two gold platet jacks will not change sound too much. Better spend money on mil. spec transformer, or transformer used in medical equipment - If you want to "hear" the difference...

Sorry for bad english.

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #693 of 1,624
I made parts list for LC, just as an example.

1.   30 (0.25W) resistors - Takman REY - 20 USD
2.   8 (1W) resistors - Takman REC - 10 USD
3.   8 capacitors (Vishay ERO MKP) - 16 USD
4.   2 capacitors (Mundorf MKP) - 7 USD
5.   2 bulk capacitors (Mundorf SI/PI) - 30 USD
6.   1 Alps POT - 20 USD
7.   2 regulators - 7 USD
8.   10 BC 550/560 - 5 USD
9.   10 BD 139/140 - 10 USD
10. 1 Transformer - 50 USD
11. 1 Metal box - 50 USD
12. Neutrik and RCA jacks - 20 USD
13. Wire - 10 USD
14. PCB board - 20 USD
15. 6 heat sinks - 10 USD
16. Other stuff - 50 USD
-------------------------------------------------------
= 335 USD

335 USD << 1100 USD

Apr 15, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #694 of 1,624
Just out of curiosity; why does the LC Premium cost USD 225 + shipping? Are the parts listed reflecting the de facto Premium version sold, or is it the fact that buying these parts 1-by-1 makes the total price 50% above the already assembled LC Premium?

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #695 of 1,624

Quote:
Just out of curiosity; why does the LC Premium cost USD 225 + shipping? Are the parts listed reflecting the de facto Premium version sold, or is it the fact that buying these parts 1-by-1 makes the total price 50% above the already assembled LC Premium?

Parts listed above are just for comparison for people who do not know how much BCL will cost them if they want make it at home. And use quality parts.

There is no connection between LC Premium and parts stated above.
Or if you want it simple: "Mundorf, Takman and ERO MKP, you will not find in LC." And, yes. They are expensive. Do you really need them? In 200 USD amp - no. In 1000 USD amp - YES.

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #696 of 1,624
Ah. Thanks.

So in order to spoonfeed: If someone wants to make a BCL clone, in the most stringent way, the price would be USD335. And; the difference in components in the LC Premium and BCL will not have an audible effect (if we interpret the LC to be a 95% replica of the BCL).

It is the latter that I´m struggling with, since my initial impressions from reading this thread, is that the LC and BCL sounds the same, or lack of posted comparisons that is...

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #697 of 1,624
When I see the word "clone" I assume that every parts are the same. Otherwise, it would be a copy. Am I wrong?

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #698 of 1,624

Quote:
When I see the word "clone" I assume that every parts are the same. Otherwise, it would be a copy. Am I wrong?

No. They are not "clones". If you look closely you will see difference. But as I said before, 80% of amplifier is the same.

Just do not be scared about amplifier. Buy it if you want it. Probably, you will not make wrong decision. And if you do, you will spend 700 USD less.

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #699 of 1,624
Second stage for my LC is on it's way
very_evil_smiley.gif

LC will be used as preamp. And this 5 W per channel amp will be used for speakers and headphones which is hard to drive.
There's original schematic http://diyaudioprojects.com/Solid/ZCA/index.htm I simply throw away potentiometer, and will make more powerful and clean power supply.

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #700 of 1,624
Spoonfeed: no the LC premium is closer to the BCL than the part list that BlaBlaBla listed (those parts would improve an original BCL).
The closest you get atm to a clone is the LC premium at USD225

If you then change the caps to Philips BC 4700, 470`s and wima MKS2 in the power section you would have a clone. But then again I would go beyond the bcl with better caps and resistors like BlaBlaBla listed. No matter how you look at it, the LC is a bargain.
Quote:
Ah. Thanks.

So in order to spoonfeed: If someone wants to make a BCL clone, in the most stringent way, the price would be USD335. And; the difference in components in the LC Premium and BCL will not have an audible effect (if we interpret the LC to be a 95% replica of the BCL).

It is the latter that I´m struggling with, since my initial impressions from reading this thread, is that the LC and BCL sounds the same, or lack of posted comparisons that is...

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #702 of 1,624

Quote:
Which of those parts would require upgrading most - sound wise?

I think you should try to remove 470uF capacitors and lower Cout capacitors (after regulator) as much as you can (without oscillation). Cout = 22nF. I heard that big capacitors tend to smear signal, (make them more slow than usual).

But I suggest that you use electrolytic capacitors (fast one) on OPAMP and bypass them with good MKP. OPAMP does not like supply ripple. It has to have steady +/-14V.

That is what I am going to do next. But I have to wait PCB-s...

If you want to tune your sound then big influence have bypass capacitors and electrolytic capacitors on output (near BD transistors).
Also big influence on sound have DC blocking capacitors, and there I suggest you to use the best one that you can put there. Or none. But be aware of DC signal that might send your headphones "to meet their maker".

Apr 16, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #704 of 1,624

Quote:
Which of those parts would require upgrading most - sound wise?

Four caps in the input of signal part.

The best choice is paper with oil 1.5uF caps (Jensen for instance). As for 22nF, I think it's not useful.

Or you can throw away all this caps and use the wire instead. It gives you the most transparent and wide sound, and it costs you nothing. But you have to be sure that DAC which you used with LC don't produce DC in the output.

Apr 16, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #705 of 1,624

Quote:
I've owned both the BCL and the LC.  They didn't sound the same.  What am I to infer from that?

That you probably have very good ears and other gear (and music) that can resolve very well?

I wished I have both too to try it out with my gear myself...

Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back