The "Lovely Cube" Headphone Amp (Lehmann Black Cube Linear Clone)
Apr 10, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #662 of 1,624
Hm... I do not know about headphones for LC. I am happy owner of Grado and ATH. They both have strengths and weaknesses. Mostly it depends on type of music that listener wants (or likes) to listen to. I figured out that ATH is excellent for movies and games (I do not play PC games but like to watch movies...). Grado, on the other hand is excellent with guitar and drums and puts magic warmth in music (especially female vocals). I think that high impedance one, have to be avoided. SS amplifiers are good where a lot of current is needed. Tube amps are (generally) better for big voltage swing. Some people say that hybrid amps (tube with SS on output) are the best. Because they have preamplifier that has voltage swing "borrowed" from tube amps and output current "borrowed" from SS amps...

Lots of people have habit to spend 1000 USD on headphones in a hope that sound will be better if the price of headphones is higher... But it does not go in that way. It is like buying a Porsche 911 (because it is expensive and sports car) and driving it through overcrowded city. In the same way, good headphones need good amplifier. The best one need the best amplifier. I tried a few low cost amps with DAC (below 500 USD) and I have feeling that, in that price range, everything over 200-300 USD for headphones, is just like "throwing money through window". Even worse, high class headphones will reveal every flaw of amplifier (and entire setup), but low cost one - will not. In that case, you will listen more to the music as it is, and less thinking about flaws.

Also, there are two approaches. First is "music in the studio", and second is "music at home". In the studio, people need technically the best equipment, that will show every possible flaw - technical flaw. It is important for recording. But at home, people need something that will have "something more than pure technical data".

Apr 10, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #663 of 1,624

Quote:
... Also, there are two approaches. First is "music in the studio", and second is "music at home". In the studio, people need technically the best equipment, that will show every possible flaw - technical flaw. It is important for recording. But at home, people need something that will have "something more than pure technical data".

Indeed.  However, also consider that most of us don't have the trained ears of a good orchestra director/conductor or recording engineer and such.  So a high analytical ability is still okay, I think, for home listening as it makes music sound even more eye-popping when it is relatively well-recorded.
Of course we may or may not hear flaws but not quite to the extent of a trained pro. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #664 of 1,624
I like the BCL so much I bought two. One in black and one in silver. I would love to do a side by side with the LC on HD800, but I'm not ready to throw away $300 yet. Maybe someone can send me on for review. :)

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #665 of 1,624
The LC:

Lehmann BCL:

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #666 of 1,624
The first page of this thread needs a photo of the Lovely Cube Premium, to show newcomers that they can buy an assembled one.

The photo on the alicemagicbox site is too small, however.

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #668 of 1,624
The first page of this thread needs a photo of the Lovely Cube Premium, to show newcomers that they can buy an assembled one.

First Page updated!

I like the BCL so much I bought two. One in black and one in silver. I would love to do a side by side with the LC on HD800, but I'm not ready to throw away $300 yet. Maybe someone can send me on for review. :)

You might want to try emailing Stephen and try to convince him to send you a review unit.

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #670 of 1,624

Quote:
Quote:

First Page updated!

Quote:
I like the BCL so much I bought two. One in black and one in silver. I would love to do a side by side with the LC on HD800, but I'm not ready to throw away $300 yet. Maybe someone can send me on for review.
smily_headphones1.gif

You might want to try emailing Stephen and try to convince him to send you a review unit.

Great stuff.  Hopefully, it'll get more attention now so I can read more reviews.  Especially LCP vs Matrix M Stage.  Most likely to get the LCP when I decide to buy a proper amp.

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #671 of 1,624
I sent an email request for a review sample. Hope to hear back soon.

I am a huge headphones guy and I love the sound of my Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear. I like it so much I bought two. One in black for the bedroom and one in silver for the hi-Fi room.  I recently came across your site and I am very interested.  I do a lot of video unboxings and product impressions posted on Head-Fi.org and many other audio forums. I would love to have the opportunity to sample/review/compare the Lovey Cube. I will do an honest comparison of the LC against the Lehmann BCL and email you my findings prior to posting on the web. If I like the LC, I will buy it. If I don't, I will send it back. 
I can email you some of my write up samples and unboxing videos. Would you be interested in sending me a review sample? 

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #672 of 1,624
Just out of curiosity, would you guys prefer having the input switch and one headphone jack on the LC, like the M-Stage has?  I'm not sure what the point of having the two headphone jacks is...Aside from cloning the BCL.

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #673 of 1,624
Just out of curiosity, would you guys prefer having the input switch and one headphone jack on the LC, like the M-Stage has?  I'm not sure what the point of having the two headphone jacks is...Aside from cloning the BCL.

I much prefer two inputs over two headphones out.

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #675 of 1,624
How's the build quality? Sharp edges? Solid knob and jacks? How many days to arrive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back