The "Lovely Cube" Headphone Amp (Lehmann Black Cube Linear Clone)
Nov 10, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #181 of 1,624
I did test the hi-fi amplifier + lovely cube

1 out of the amplifier chinch> lovely cube
2 out headphone output <lovely cube

and found that I had the headphone amplifier output of more bass than the chinch

Nov 10, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #182 of 1,624
Okay I understand now, chinch = RCA connectors to us Americans. So the line out from your hi-fi has less bass then the headphone out of your hi-fi. 

So there is bass roll off from the line out of the hi fi amplifier or else the hi fi's headphone amplifier is pumping up the bass. You probably do not want to use your hi fi's headphone out because then you will be amplifying the signal twice.

Find out why there is less bass on your hi fi's line out when connected to the Lovely Cube. What is in front of the hi fi amplifier (CD/DVD/turntable/computer?) Can you connect the Lovely Cube directly to it?

What brand / model is your hi fi?

Nov 10, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #183 of 1,624

Quote:
Are you using the stock opamp? IMO, there is quite a bit of bass in the OPA2134 but it's bloated, not precise and doesn't go very deep. There are many other better opamps for much deeper and better bass.

Is there a difference between the 2 plugs?
Unfortunately i don´t have a screw, so i cannot even change the gain to 10.

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #184 of 1,624

Quote:
Is there a difference between the 2 plugs?
Unfortunately i don´t have a screw, so i cannot even change the gain to 10.

You mean a difference between the 2 sockets? The 2 sockets produce the same output. The one nearer to the potentiometer goes directly to the "output" which I suppose you have left unconnected.

Why would you need a screw to change the gain? You could just flip the unit over and use your fingers?

I'm using 2x LT1363. The bass goes deeper and it's more precise. Although the quantity of the overall bass is less than the OPA627, the quality makes up for it. I don't know if that's what you're looking for but you could try out a LT1364 for pretty cheap if you need to.

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #185 of 1,624

Quote:
You mean a difference between the 2 sockets? The 2 sockets produce the same output. The one nearer to the potentiometer goes directly to the "output" which I suppose you have left unconnected.

Why would you need a screw to change the gain? You could just flip the unit over and use your fingers?

I'm using 2x LT1363. The bass goes deeper and it's more precise. Although the quantity of the overall bass is less than the OPA627, the quality makes up for it. I don't know if that's what you're looking for but you could try out a LT1364 for pretty cheap if you need to.

I mean, how do i open the case to change the gain without screw?

Nov 11, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #186 of 1,624
@dlalom
thx for the info.. didnt know headphone impedance affects.

@aspenx
2x LT1363 = less bass and better quality? how so? mind sharing more details coz i think the bass is still too much on the 627, biased or not.. kinda bloated in a sense, at least.. for my cans.

Nov 11, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #187 of 1,624

Quote:
@aspenx
2x LT1363 = less bass and better quality? how so? mind sharing more details coz i think the bass is still too much on the 627, biased or not.. kinda bloated in a sense, at least.. for my cans.

Yea, I agree with you about the OPA627. I'm using the 2x LT1363 with no biasing. It is even better than the LT1364, biased or not. My JFETs just arrived yesterday. I'll be trying a more proper bias underboard when I get home. Will let you know more after I give the current setup a little more listening later.

Have you tried the amp with LT1364?

Nov 11, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #188 of 1,624

Quote:
Quote:
@aspenx

Yea, I agree with you about the OPA627. I'm using the 2x LT1363 with no biasing. It is even better than the LT1364, biased or not. My JFETs just arrived yesterday. I'll be trying a more proper bias underboard when I get home. Will let you know more after I give the current setup a little more listening later.

Have you tried the amp with LT1364?

[size=medium]
nope. gotta find one. i know where to find lt1361 here, but not lt1363 or 1364.
isnt lt1363 just a single channel version of the lt1364? hm...
i think im gonna try it later once i know where to find them.
anyways good luck on ur mods.
[/size]

Nov 12, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #189 of 1,624
Arrived!

Talema 30VA Toroidal was printed with the name.

RCA Connector

[size=medium] First. [/size]
[size=medium] The sound is good.  \(^o^)/[/size]
[size=medium] It is happy to do barn-in. [/size]

Right channel RCA connectors on the bottom.
Channel had been left a red mark.
Initially, the left and right a wrong connection.

The screw that fixes a right side doesn't shut. 
Right-side head of the screws on the metal case was burred.
Recommended to increase the thickness or welded nut.
It can be implemented cost is up slightly.

Posted on Blog. (Sorry, Japanese-text only)
http://tiiduka.blogspot.com/2010/11/lovely-cube-headamp-5.html

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #190 of 1,624
I´ve lowered the gain from 20db to 10db. Only change was the volume. But maybe the background is cleaner.

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #193 of 1,624

Quote:
Quote:
I´ve lowered the gain from 20db to 10db. Only change was the volume. But maybe the background is cleaner.

I have a comfortable volume.
What RK27 traded?

Sorry, I don´t understand what you said.
I have a steppet potentiometer, one that the amp seller sells (you can find them in his ebay shop). I only paid +10$ for the stepped pot, and I´m happy I made that decision.

Nov 13, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #194 of 1,624
What do you guys think of the "economy edition"

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOVELY-CUBE-Headphone-Amplifier-KIT-Economy-Edition-/200541739530?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb1381a0a

its not the same board and no opamp but other than that its the same right?

looks like a good soldering project for me.

Nov 13, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #195 of 1,624

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have a comfortable volume.
What RK27 traded?

Sorry, I don´t understand what you said.
I have a steppet potentiometer, one that the amp seller sells (you can find them in his ebay shop). I only paid +10$ for the stepped pot, and I´m happy I made that decision.

Sorry, "volume" is potentiometer.
RK27 is a potentiometer that has adhered to Lovely Cube. (ALPS RK27)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back