The "Lovely Cube" Headphone Amp (Lehmann Black Cube Linear Clone)
Nov 8, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #166 of 1,624

Quote:
Just got it. Waiting for 1 week burn in at least. The bass is not very powerful, but i guess that´s due to the lack of burn in.

What headphones and gain are you using?

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #168 of 1,624
If you turn the amp over you'll 4 switches with numbers on them like this:

These are the gain switch that control the level of amplification that the amp is using. You may need to increase it, not sure what everyone else is using for the LCD-2's.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #169 of 1,624
Does it only increase the volume? So far, with the pot at half (it has a stepped pot) i can hear to imploding levels.

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #170 of 1,624
anyone tried less than 3.49mA?
i found the vocals already too dry, and worse at 5mA.
unbiased 627 still have best organic vocals.. but it really lacks depth. -_-

btw.. if just retaining opamp, how does the gain affect the sound?
my board is still on the acrylic, so i cant access the gain switch without unscrewing..

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #171 of 1,624
I hifiman HE5 with lovely cobe opa267 and 3.49 mA
To me it sounds very good (but very bad 5mA!)

I Gain on MAX

BASS - is with me too little. Everything else still well balanced

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #172 of 1,624

Quote:
I hifiman HE5 with lovely cobe opa267 and 3.49 mA
To me it sounds very good (but very bad 5mA!)

I Gain on MAX

BASS - is with me too little. Everything else still well balanced

The bass it too little with my lcd-2 too. I don´t know if it´s a burn in issue. What does the gain do? Does it only increase the volume or also do something else?

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #174 of 1,624
I don't believe that your lack of bass is normal. Email Stephan and ask for some troubleshooting advice.

Post your bass issue in the M-Stage thread to see if other LCD2 owners also experience the same level of bass.
What other amp are you using?

You can also try

1. different gain settings
  2. Removing the Class A adapter
  3. using a different opamp

Quote:
The bass it too little with my lcd-2 too. I don´t know if it´s a burn in issue. What does the gain do? Does it only increase the volume or also do something else?

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #175 of 1,624
hi
I have a problem with BASS in my hifiman HE5

maybe it's normal?

in M-Stage I had the same

perhaps the ortho .. headsets are so! no BASS

PS:    if you find solution please write me and mail

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #176 of 1,624
Dunno, there is bass, but not like i would have expected from these headphones who can extend down to 10hz. But it´s not like there is no bass.
By the way, what is the difference between the 2 plugs? Wich one do you use? Right now i´m using the left one (the furthest one from the pot).

Nov 10, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #177 of 1,624

Quote:
Dunno, there is bass, but not like i would have expected from these headphones who can extend down to 10hz. But it´s not like there is no bass.
By the way, what is the difference between the 2 plugs? Wich one do you use? Right now i´m using the left one (the furthest one from the pot).

Are you using the stock opamp? IMO, there is quite a bit of bass in the OPA2134 but it's bloated, not precise and doesn't go very deep. There are many other better opamps for much deeper and better bass.

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #178 of 1,624

Quote:
anyone tried less than 3.49mA?
i found the vocals already too dry, and worse at 5mA.
unbiased 627 still have best organic vocals.. but it really lacks depth. -_-

btw.. if just retaining opamp, how does the gain affect the sound?
my board is still on the acrylic, so i cant access the gain switch without unscrewing..

Look  for Purrin's posts in the M-Stage thread....

Also the results are dependent on your HP's as the class A mod raises the voltages at which the opamp remains in class A - once the voltage passes a certain threshold, it reverts to class AB.

600ohm HP's require more voltage - and are therefore more likely to push out of the envelope .... if you are running with 50ohm HP's or lower - the likelihood of being in class A is substantially increased.

All opamps that I tested showed noise/distortion spikes when run at 0 gain - 10db gain is the minimum to get rid of this. I think this is telling us something about opamp stability at 0 gain - many opamps specifically state in their specs that they are unstable at 0 gain.... but even those that are supposed to be stable are showing this trait.

So there you go - a few more variables to work through...

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #179 of 1,624
Ports to amplifers  check

test 1 --- back to chinch  at amp  ..   + lovely cube connected - no bass at hifiman HE5

test 2 --- forward to the headphone output at amp ..  +  lovely cube connected - BASS on hifimann HE5 there !!!!!!!!!!!!!! BASS is here! super

what does that mean?

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #180 of 1,624

Quote:
Ports to amplifers  check

test 1 --- back to chinch  at amp  ..   + lovely cube connected - no bass at hifiman HE5

test 2 --- forward to the headphone output at amp ..  +  lovely cube connected - BASS on hifimann HE5 there !!!!!!!!!!!!!! BASS is here! super

what does that mean?

Stau:

Not sure if I understand what you mean.

Did you try a different output on your source? Source headphone out ---> Lovely Cube? What is your source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back